Lexicon PCM96 Surround
New Reply
Subscribe
synthetic
5th October 2008
Old 5th October 2008
Gear addict

Lexicon PCM96 Surround

No one else seems to be talking about this. Lexicon has a new unit, the PCM96 Surround. It's similar to the PCM96 but has more I/O and surround algorithms. $1000 more than the PCM96. Sounds incredible, do check it out in their demo room.
5th October 2008
Old 5th October 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Animus
Shouldn't they be getting the regular 96 working as advertised first?
5th October 2008
Old 5th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animus View Post
Shouldn't they be getting the regular 96 working as advertised first?
Word!
synthetic
6th October 2008
Old 6th October 2008
Gear addict

Well, it explains why they've been a bit slow to address some of those bugs. They also announced a new audio interface at the show. So I think we'll see some updates soon, including the new pitch shifting algorithms.
6th October 2008
Old 6th October 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by synthetic View Post
No one else seems to be talking about this. Lexicon has a new unit, the PCM96 Surround. It's similar to the PCM96 but has more I/O and surround algorithms. $1000 more than the PCM96. Sounds incredible, do check it out in their demo room.
could be cool!!!
6th October 2008
Old 6th October 2008
Lives for gear

PCM96 Surround - the real story

Hi folks,
Here's the story on the 96 Surround, as well as a bit more on the regular PCM96. The surround box is the big brother--it has everything that's in the regular 96 -- all of the DSP, all of the presets. You can swap mono and stereo presets between the boxes using your CF card. If you treat it purely as a stereo or mono box, then it differs only in I/O. You can run all the algorithms with independent I/O for each channel (so now you've got those two independent stereos you wanted). For surround applications, we added algorithms for four and five channels (all of the 'verbs, delays, chorus, shift, resonance, etc), there's even a six-channel configuration, but pitch shift is the only algorithm that we'll support at first ship in six channel. I should point out that these are true surround algorithms, not dual-stereo.

The PCM96 Surround will be available in two forms: analog plus AES, and AES only (Firewire in both). The more expensive unit will be about $4000. We're planning to ship in December of this year.

The V2 code for the PCM96 will be available in a few weeks from now. In addition to further improvements in streaming performance, we'll be providing several new pitch shift algorithms. You'll simply grab the code from the web site and download to your box. No screwdrivers or EPROMS required.

For those of you who missed it, you might enjoy this recent announcement from the METalliance: METAlliance Certifies Lexicon PCM96 - BroadcastNewsroom
These guys are some of the best engineers in the business and we really appreciate their endorsement.

I hope some of you made it to AES so that you could hear the box. San Francisco is an awfully expensive city to visit, but perhaps if you're close by you managed to make it in. Maybe I even had a chance to talk with a few of you.
14th November 2008
Old 14th November 2008
Gear interested

Has anyone an idea, if the regular PCM96 (non-surround) will offer surround capabilities via Firewire?

Would be great to get at least some surround algorithms for this unit too, even restricted to FW.
14th November 2008
Old 14th November 2008
Lives for gear

I got a chance to hear this unit this week, just like everyone else has said, It sounds great! But with the 96 Surround I like the fact that it has all of the inputs and outputs that you need, firewire is cool but I still don't trust it completely and would like the option of going another route if need be.

16th November 2008
Old 16th November 2008

I wonder if Lexicon will ever fix the little bugs in the PCM-96 plugin like not recalling settings when opening a session.
16th November 2008
Old 16th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipass View Post
I wonder if Lexicon will ever fix the little bugs in the PCM-96 plugin like not recalling settings when opening a session.
What does Lexicon tech supports say about it?

SSL Duende had this issue but, prior to this, I haven't heard of the 96 losing settings.
16th November 2008
Old 16th November 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
What does Lexicon tech supports say about it?

SSL Duende had this issue but, prior to this, I haven't heard of the 96 losing settings.
Lots of issues happens all the time to on various plates, I haven't heard of this ... I hear that lots from Lexicon Tech Support.

From the PCM-96 thread
Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
Not recalling settings properly when opening a session.
Crash on importing (session data) to another session.
Work around:
save your setting to a Protools Preset, the recall the preset when you re-open the session.
Do not import (track) session Data when the Control PI is present on that track.
Firewire Streaming high latency makes PT crash (lots) - unusable with paying clients.
Other than those minor details it sounds great.
Oh yeah I almost forgot - forget phoning tech support - it's a lot like talking to Mickey Mouse at Disneyland
16th November 2008
Old 16th November 2008
Lives for gear

Are you personally having an issue with presets being lost?

Have you personally talked to Lexicon?

What did they say to you personally about the presets issue?
16th November 2008
Old 16th November 2008

Are you serious? or can't you read my posts?
16th November 2008
Old 16th November 2008
Lives for gear

Another Lexicon Crash

Process: Pro Tools HD [42824]
Path: /Applications/Digidesign/Pro Tools/Pro Tools HD.app/Contents/MacOS/Pro Tools HD
Identifier: com.digidesign.ProToolsHD
Version: 7.4.2cs1 (7.4.2f111)
Code Type: X86 (Native)
Parent Process: launchd [97]

Date/Time: 2008-11-16 14:38:05.701 -0600
OS Version: Mac OS X 10.5.5 (9F33)
Report Version: 6

Exception Type: EXC_CRASH (SIGABRT)
Exception Codes: 0x0000000000000000, 0x0000000000000000
Crashed Thread: 0

Thread 0 Crashed:
0 libSystem.B.dylib 0x96279b9e __kill + 10
1 libSystem.B.dylib 0x962f0ec2 raise + 26
2 libSystem.B.dylib 0x9630047f abort + 73
3 com.Lexicon.CoreFramework 0x3e7dde9d 0x3e64b000 + 1650333
4 com.Lexicon.CoreFramework 0x3e727e08 LexiconResourceManager::loadPreset(LexiconVirtualMachine*, std::vector<tPresetInfo*, std::allocator<tPresetInfo*> >&, unsigned short) + 304
5 com.Lexicon.CoreFramework 0x3e72b3da LexiconResourceManager::requestVirtualMachine(bool, VIRTUAL_MACHINE_TYPE, unsigned int, unsigned int, unsigned short, int&, bool, int (*)(unsigned int), int (*)(unsigned int), kRequestError&) + 2666
6 libPCM96View.dylib 0x3eaf65ef MachineFilter::connect(bool) + 265
7 libPCM96View.dylib 0x3eaf90c5 MachineFilter::setStateInformation(void const*, int) + 1801
8 ...on.PCM96 Stereo Random Hall 0x3cf4a0ab JuceVSTWrapper::setChunk(void*, int, bool) + 109
9 ...on.PCM96 Stereo Random Hall 0x3cf479b8 AudioEffectX::dispatcher(int, int, int, void*, float) + 314
10 ...on.PCM96 Stereo Random Hall 0x3cf4b8ae JuceVSTWrapper::dispatcher(int, int, int, void*, float) + 102
11 ....vst2rtas.PCM96 Random Hall 0x3ce7df0e CPluginWrapper::CallDispatcherFP(long, long, long, void*, float) + 216
12 ....vst2rtas.PCM96 Random Hall 0x3ce7f80c CPluginWrapper::RestoreState(char const*, int) + 844
13 ....vst2rtas.PCM96 Random Hall 0x3ce75cc8 CTemplateNoUIProcess::SetChunk(unsigned long, SFicPlugInChunk*) + 68
14 ....vst2rtas.PCM96 Random Hall 0x3cec49f6 long CallGroupFun<unsigned long, long, long, SFicPlugInStemInfo*>(long (CProcessGroupInterface::*)(unsigned long, long, long, SFicPlugInStemInfo*), unsigned long, long, long, SFicPlugInStemInfo*, unsigned char) + 2764
15 ....vst2rtas.PCM96 Random Hall 0x3ce9d4d9 NewMachOPlugIn + 81737
16 ....vst2rtas.PCM96 Random Hall 0x3ce8648e CEffectProcessAS::~CEffectProcessAS() + 324
17 ....vst2rtas.PCM96 Random Hall 0x3cec701f long CallGroupFun<unsigned long, long, unsigned long, SFicPlugInChunk*>(long (CProcessGroupInterface::*)(unsigned long, long, unsigned long, SFicPlugInChunk*), unsigned long, long, unsigned long, SFicPlugInChunk*, unsigned char) + 77
18 ....vst2rtas.PCM96 Random Hall 0x3ce87d08 CEffectProcessAS::~CEffectProcessAS() + 6590
19 com.digidesign.framework.DAE 0x0303773b FicGetApplicationInterface + 71443
20 com.digidesign.framework.DAE 0x031443be FicSetPlugInChunk + 46

==========

SURPLUS GEAR SALE
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by hipass View Post
Are you serious? or can't you read my posts?
I've read every word and none of them answers any of the three questions I've asked above. So I'll simplify:

Do you have PERSONAL experience with the problems you're mentioning, or are you just quoting others?
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008

Thumbs down

YES Why Do think I posted here? For Fun?
I found the ignore user button cool!
17th November 2008
Old 17th November 2008
Lives for gear

That's a shame. The forum will miss our enthralling and informative back-and-forth dialogues.
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Is the PCM96 Surround available anywhere? Nobody sells it yet. Lexicon's website says "now available..."
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio ergo sum View Post
Is the PCM96 Surround available anywhere? Nobody sells it yet. Lexicon's website says "now available..."
It should be out shortly, and even though it's not yet on our website, we are taking pre-orders right now.
High End Pro Audio Sales & Consulting
Recording/Music Production/Mixing

http://www.audiolot.com

Follow AudioLot on Facebook for AudioLot's BIG DEAL Gear Specials, Morning Mix Tips, and more by clicking here
1st February 2009
Old 1st February 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittonian View Post
It should be out shortly, and even though it's not yet on our website, we are taking pre-orders right now.
It's February now and nobody sells it yet?
2nd February 2009
Old 2nd February 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio ergo sum View Post
It's February now and nobody sells it yet?
Yes, we're selling it and it's now shipping.
1st April 2009
Old 1st April 2009
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Nobody Special;3548197]The surround box is the big brother--it has everything that's in the regular 96 -- all of the DSP, all of the presets. You can swap mono and stereo presets between the boxes using your CF card. If you treat it purely as a stereo or mono box, then it differs only in I/O. You can run all the algorithms with independent I/O for each
QUOTE]

This comment makes me ill... The big brother"?? Please this is a joke.. First off I love the PCM96 for sound.. I had the stereo model and just bought the surround
model... All this big brother shit and all the processing sitting in the box doing nothing? 1/3 bigger new vent cut in the top for any heat from taxing out the processor and the unit CAN ONLY DO 2 FU**IN STEREO ALGORITHMS IN A PROGRAM IN CASCADE ???? This makes me want to blow lunch...

This is just a joke right? there is a 3rd or 4th effect i can add in series with all the DSP in this box right? I mean the eventide H8000 does it the system 6000 does it the 960l does it???

or just one stereo Monolithic Tandem preset 6 in 6 out ? boo hoo..

I called lexicon tech support today and they responded by saying " DUH "

when you read stuff like this in the manual you could assume that this was the deal

" The Machine Config menu lets you configure the PCM96 Surround processor
as one, two, three, or four virtual machines in a new preset."

Or this

"Base ChannelSystem LevelUse for loading System presets. This is the PCM96 unit’s base channel. The next four channels apply to this PCM96 unit’s virtual machines.Base + 1Virtual machine 1Changes parameters in one virtual machine in a System preset on the PCM96 unit with base channel 0. Use for loading machine presets and changing parameters for machine #1.Base + 2Virtual machine 2Changes parameters in one virtual machine in a System preset on the PCM96 unit with base channel 0. Use for loading machine presets and changing parameters for machine #2.Base + 3Virtual machine 3Changes parameters in one virtual machine in a System preset on the PCM96 unit with base channel 0. Use for loading machine presets and changing parameters for machine #3.Base + 4Virtual machine 4Changes parameters in one virtual machine in a System preset on the PCM96 unit with base channel 0. Use for loading machine presets and changing parameters for machine #4."

Why all the power but you cant use it? It just doesn't make sense in this day and age. I can tell you 90% of studios will use it in stereo and its nice to have all the ins and outs but you can only run 2 stereo algorithms in cascade in a preset? Thats a waste of a nice machine...
3rd April 2009
Old 3rd April 2009
Lives for gear

No response from Nobody Special...cat got your tongue...LOL
3rd April 2009
Old 3rd April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by effectsnut View Post
No response from Nobody Special...cat got your tongue...LOL
Been busy. I'm sorry you're unhappy, but you haven't been deceived in any way. The PCM96 surround supports up to four virtual (mono) machines, just as the regular PCM96 does. All six channels are only used at the moment for the six-channel pitch-shifter (know of any others?). Five channels are used for the majority of surround algorithms.

We only support two independent stereo machines at the current time. You obviously feel we should have done other things. We're selling a surround product that sounds substantially better than the 960L, with algorithms it doesn't have, at less than a third of the price. Boy, we really messed up!
4th April 2009
Old 4th April 2009
Lives for gear

The past couple of posts have confused me a bit.

N.S. - The 96 Surround is capable of running 2 completely independent stereo machines, correct? For instance a Large Hall on one and a Med Plate on the other and the two will not feed from or to each other?

I have a 960L and have been considering the idea of replacing it with 2 PCM96 Surrounds, but I'd need to be sure that with 2 of these I'd have a total of 4 independent stereo machines, just as I get with the 960L.
4th April 2009
Old 4th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
The past couple of posts have confused me a bit.

N.S. - The 96 Surround is capable of running 2 completely independent stereo machines, correct? For instance a Large Hall on one and a Med Plate on the other and the two will not feed from or to each other?

I have a 960L and have been considering the idea of replacing it with 2 PCM96 Surrounds, but I'd need to be sure that with 2 of these I'd have a total of 4 independent stereo machines, just as I get with the 960L.
with the surround unit you can run 2 stereo algorithms(machines) on a preset in series so yes you have to buy 2 surround machines to run 4 stereo machines.
so 8k for that. so maybe they should have made a good 960 in the first place
i would have kept that
4th April 2009
Old 4th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody Special View Post
Been busy. I'm sorry you're unhappy, but you haven't been deceived in any way. The PCM96 surround supports up to four virtual (mono) machines, just as the regular PCM96 does. All six channels are only used at the moment for the six-channel pitch-shifter (know of any others?). Five channels are used for the majority of surround algorithms.

We only support two independent stereo machines at the current time. You obviously feel we should have done other things. We're selling a surround product that sounds substantially better than the 960L, with algorithms it doesn't have, at less than a third of the price. Boy, we really messed up!
Are you kidding? thats a huge short coming in this day and age, I can only run 2 algos in series on a cutting edge new technology surround machine? I don't see the confusion. You pointing out how bad of a job you did on the 960 with sound to prove a point? LOL god I wish my 960 sounded this good and had all the presets of a pcm96 surround.

why did you have to make this machine with all the short comings. I don't know anyone who wants a machine for 4 mono in series..Maybe I'm asking the too much or the wrong questions.. Can you make the 960 sound as good as the pcm96 surround that cost 1/3 less? that second paragraph you typed was a really stupid response.. remember who the customer is...To me its a let down
and over priced for what it does as a big brother of the stereo 96... I think the fixed routing belongs in the 80's. why cant i route it any way I want..I feel like a got a beta unit and waisted my money I expected an upgrade not just ins and outs..I bet i would be able to count on my hands how many people who will use 6 channels of mono pitch at the end of the year, for what? I don't need to go back and forth so pm me your phone if you want to treat me like a customer and i can tell you while we look at the manual at the same time
how i was mis led...
4th April 2009
Old 4th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by effectsnut View Post
Are you kidding? thats a huge short coming in this day and age, I can only run 2 algos in series on a cutting edge new technology surround machine? I don't see the confusion. if you want to treat me like a customer and i can tell you while we look at the manual at the same time
how i was mis led...etc, etc, etc
I'm deeply sorry that you're not happy. Most of our customers seem to be. We are continually at work trying to improve current products and bring new ones to market. I'm happy to answer questions and provide information, but I'm not going to participate in what feels like a flame war. I hope you can find a product you prefer.
NS
4th April 2009
Old 4th April 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody Special View Post
I'm deeply sorry that you're not happy. Most of our customers seem to be. We are continually at work trying to improve current products and bring new ones to market. I'm happy to answer questions and provide information, but I'm not going to participate in what feels like a flame war. I hope you can find a product you prefer.
NS
Thats a total cop out. Questions you don't want to answer. I'm not flaming you
I'm just upset. I was told early on when I called lexicon that this unit was replacing the 960l and now i have the box (PCM96 surround) and its limited
Your response is BS........So its a Pcm96 with extra ins and outs and surround algo
you probably could load in a regular pcm96 anyway...I'm going to open them up and see whats in the two boxes. The pcm surround is bigger I don't know for what for yet, Maybe just for the in and outs...Thanks for supporting your product
I even asked to talk on the phone...Run Run here one for ya
6th April 2009
Old 6th April 2009
Lives for gear

That makes absolutely no sense. NS has been one of the most forthcoming members of GS, even to the point of admitting details and insider info that he may have later regretted. What you're asking is very easy to prove or disprove - why would he lie? To sell product, right? Maybe, but I don't buy it for a second. The explanation is logical.

Don't like the 96, fine -- take a pass on it. But your insults are out of place.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search