The CLASSIC tlm 103
New Reply
Subscribe
Empty Planet
3rd October 2008
Old 3rd October 2008
Lives for gear

The CLASSIC tlm 103

Straight from an AES mailer I received from our our good friends at the modern Neumann....

Neumann Introduces the Digital Version of the Classic TLM 103
Neumann is introducing the TLM 103 D, the next classic microphone to enter the digital realm, at the 125th AES Show in San Francisco. When used in conjunction with digital workstations, Neumann Solution-D microphone technology makes life easier for users. The integrated, extremely fast, peak limiter guarantees optimal recording levels at all times. Likewise, the Neumann A/D converter built into the microphone eliminates the necessity of tedious experimentation with external converters and preamps.

Leaving aside the "tedious experimentation with converters and preamps" part (OH, what a FOOL I've been!) I just have to marvel at the spin -- the CLASSIC tlm 103.

How could they possibly improve on that classic tlm 103 sound?!? Yank the preamp and GO DIGITAL!!! IT WAS SO OBVIOUS!!! Woohoo! I love AES.

"Hang on cats, I know what this session needs! I'm breaking out my classic Neumann. A vocal of this quality needs a classic sound from a classic mic!"

Duck.

.......Rusko
3rd October 2008
Old 3rd October 2008
Lives for gear

It may not be the most popular microphone around here, but it's certainly sold enough over the past ten years or so to be considered a success, if not a classic.

I like to use a variety of preamps myself, but I'd imagine that if you're going for a clean, neutral sound (and you like the "classic" sound of the TLM) then this would be a good way to go. I've heard a few other high-end digital microphones and they did have that going for them.
Empty Planet
3rd October 2008
Old 3rd October 2008
Lives for gear

Hey, I'm not among those who say it's useless. I think you can do some perfectly fine work with it.

But "classic Neuman"? Simply mocking where I feel mockery is (COMPLETELY) due.

Besides, the whole vibe of the release is SO AES.

Cheers.

4th October 2008
Old 4th October 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to DivineMusic
neumann actually has a few Digital mics
6th October 2008
Old 6th October 2008
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to jdjustice
I think it has succeeded in that fashion in that it IS a decent mic, IMO, despite all the bashing... and that the price point was on target for the majority of prosumer musicians... plus the Neumann name == 'classic'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duardo View Post
It may not be the most popular microphone around here, but it's certainly sold enough over the past ten years or so to be considered a success, if not a classic.

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search