Login / Register

Spectrasonics Omnisphere
View Poll Results: Are you going to buy it?
Yes, upgrade from Atmosphere
79 Votes - 48.77%
Yes, don't own Atmosphere
41 Votes - 25.31%
No
42 Votes - 25.93%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

New Reply
Subscribe
18th January 2008
Old 18th January 2008
Lives for gear

wow....

Ok... another synth....

I've been holding off buying a MacIntel to replace my ill-going G5 for over a year now, because of the promise of a real UB solution for my atmosphere and trilogy. And, now, we have to wait almost another year again ????

The wait is over for me , i'm getting a new MacIntel. Time to look for alternatives to Trilogy (chris hein's bass maybe ?) and Atmosphere (any suggestions? )
18th January 2008
Old 18th January 2008
Gear maniac

These people will not get my money for anything anymore unless that get the Atmosphere and Trilogy mess cleared up very very soon. The excuse about non-in-house technology is absolutely lame. So let me emphasize:

GET ATMOSPHERE AND TRILOGY FIXED

Cheers, Bob.
18th January 2008
Old 18th January 2008
Lives for gear

Since Omnisphere librariy is 50gb I am hoping it may be compatible with Atmosphere/Trilogy libraries. I don't see a reason to dump those libraries when so many people still like them. Unless Omnisphere blows both away..
18th January 2008
Old 18th January 2008
Lives for gear

Check out the video on their site. I don't think I've ever heard so may superlatives in one sentence before.
19th January 2008
Old 19th January 2008
Lives for gear

It was indicated somewhere that the Atmosphere patches will be featured
in an enhanced form in Omnisphere.

I for one am getting by pretty well with the wrapper. I just freeze the track
in Logic and I'm over an issues from there. There will be an upgrade path
to Omni....SIGN ME UP!!!!!

There's always the possibility that it will be ready before September so I wouldn't
get too upset by the projected release date. I just assume that the bugs would be
worked out as much as possible anyway. Not to be rude(but very honest)but there
are bound to be a number of people who are screaming right now that it won't be
out for a while,but you know that if it came out in a months time, they would be
the first ones to be complaining about the bugs.

Again,sorry but not sorry. It's the simple truth.

I think this synth is gonna ROCK and it's gonna be well worth the wait.
19th January 2008
Old 19th January 2008
Gear addict

well, again, the problem is NOT that they're announcing a new synth to be relased in 8 month. That's good news. What sucks big time is that they have stated on their website that an intel solution would be out fall 2007. And then they give us freaking wrappers. And yes, you can freeze tracks, but his is not a acceptable solution. On the Biglounge forum Eric P assured people that these wrappers were just temporary solutions (even after waiting 2 years) and that he would have good news for all of us at NAMM... another 8 months of waiting for atmosphere - ad even longer for trilogy....

Maybe they should have been working on real UB versions of Atmos/Trilogy instead of making videos of some future product...

19th January 2008
Old 19th January 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DowntownScience View Post
Poll answer: Too far away to waste cerebral DSP on.
I agree.
I wouldn't get too excited 8 months out, especially based on one sound.
There should be a poll option for 'Don't Know Yet'.

The video rubbed me up the wrong way a bit too.
Several minutes of teaser about upcoming video episodes?
It's not a soap opera, it's a 'to be confirmed' soft synth.
19th January 2008
Old 19th January 2008
Lives for gear

Crap Wrapper

Spectrasonics is lame. I've said that for over a year now since they have no idea what "keeping current" is with this latest crap wrapper.

I was lucky the other day and sold my Trilogy to someone for $150, at least I only lost half of what I paid, not to mention the time lost to their non-existent or lame solutions.

Feels good to know I don't have to worry that a company I invest in will be at the cutting edge. These guys aren't.
19th January 2008
Old 19th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEMAS View Post

I'll probably buy it though.

I love rants that end in slutzy harmonic overtones.

-SD
19th January 2008
Old 19th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
Since Omnisphere librariy is 50gb I am hoping it may be compatible with Atmosphere/Trilogy libraries. I don't see a reason to dump those libraries when so many people still like them. Unless Omnisphere blows both away..
Spectrasonics is saying on the FAQ page that Omni will include the entire Atmo library.

-SD

...My 57 is only a few years old, but I'd like to think that someday my children can pass it down to their children.
Killahurts

...I would much rather tweak a moog than that thing bro...
MYAMS
19th January 2008
Old 19th January 2008
Sample developer

Send a message via AIM to zirconst Send a message via Skype™ to zirconst
I love all the complaining about the wrappers and people clamoring for Spectrasonics to "fix" Trilogy and Atmosphere.

Spectrasonics didn't make the engines for those products. They're licensed from a third party. They can't edit the code.

UVI is the company that produces them, and it's UVI's responsibility to make them Intel Mac compatible.

Really think about what you're asking. It's one of three things:

1. Stop development of STEAM and Omnisphere to create an entirely NEW engine for Trilogy and Atmosphere, which will be made obsolete as soon as STEAM and Omnisphere come out. Yeah, this is a great use of resources. Do you have any idea how hard it is to code a complex piece of software like a sampler from scratch, not to mention all the difficulties in making it compatible with every host and platform?

2. License another sampler... for eight months, while they finish STEAM. Huge waste of money and a huge hassle. There are very few perfect samplers out there, anyway.

3. Release STEAM early with nothing but Atmosphere and Trilogy content, wasting the vast multitude of other features and causing a massive uproar among consumers that have been waiting for NEW content. Everyone loves rushed releases!

As a PC user who has no problem using Spectra products I'd be incredibly annoyed if they wasted development time that could be used for NEW and improved products just to create fixes for soon-to-be-replaced ones that are only problematic to a (vocal) minority.

If Atmo/Trilo mean that much to you, you don't like the wrapper, and you can't wait, buy a PC!!! You can get a desktop computer easily capable of running it for $400-500. Hell, a $150 computer from eBay would do the job.
19th January 2008
Old 19th January 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zirconst View Post
I love all the complaining about the wrappers and people clamoring for Spectrasonics to "fix" Trilogy and Atmosphere.

Spectrasonics didn't make the engines for those products. They're licensed from a third party. They can't edit the code.

UVI is the company that produces them, and it's UVI's responsibility to make them Intel Mac compatible.
If you base your entire product line on a thrid party developer, you have to at least make sure that they are up to the job of maintaining the software they licensed.

Quote:
Really think about what you're asking. It's one of three things:

1. Stop development of STEAM and Omnisphere to create an entirely NEW engine for Trilogy and Atmosphere, which will be made obsolete as soon as STEAM and Omnisphere come out. Yeah, this is a great use of resources. Do you have any idea how hard it is to code a complex piece of software like a sampler from scratch, not to mention all the difficulties in making it compatible with every host and platform?
No, they have been working on steal for more than two years. They have been able to make an engine for Stylus RMX that works on intel as well... Why is it that they shold not send out an UB (maybe based on Steam) to make atmosphere an trilogy work?

Quote:
2. License another sampler... for eight months, while they finish STEAM. Huge waste of money and a huge hassle. There are very few perfect samplers out there, anyway
So they shold not waste their money? I obviously wasted mine. And we are NOT talking eight month, They could have licensed another sampler 2 years ago...

Quote:
3. Release STEAM early with nothing but Atmosphere and Trilogy content, wasting the vast multitude of other features and causing a massive uproar among consumers that have been waiting for NEW content. Everyone loves rushed releases!
Rushed! 2 years and still counting! EVERY other plug in I use has been UB for long time. They could have simply released an atmos/trilogy that works. They could have based it on steam. They didn't have to announce it as a new product. Just simply an update.

Quote:
As a PC user who has no problem using Spectra products I'd be incredibly annoyed if they wasted development time that could be used for NEW and improved products just to create fixes for soon-to-be-replaced ones that are only problematic to a (vocal) minority.
Soon? Again, we're talking two years and still counting.
Maybe you see Mac-users as a minority, but I think, aming pro audio/music people, the mac users are a not exactly a minority. Good for you that the plugs work on PC, but I bought a product that was claiming to be for mac too.

Quote:
If Atmo/Trilo mean that much to you, you don't like the wrapper, and you can't wait, buy a PC!!! You can get a desktop computer easily capable of running it for $400-500. Hell, a $150 computer from eBay would do the job.
Yeah, so I would have to buy and connect a seperate PC just for that? That I can always carry with me (I'm mobile). I could buy a G5 mac for that purpose, but again. I bought a serious software that I've always expected to be maintained as a plug in for my mac. It is Spectrasonics themselves who hs stated on their web site "how much their clients mean to them" and that they are really working hard to make a solution for mac users. Ten they give us wrappers!
musicjon
19th January 2008
Old 19th January 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmaus View Post
Spectrasonics is lame. I've said that for over a year now since they have no idea what "keeping current" is with this latest crap wrapper.
EastWest is pretty lame too. I've been waiting for YEARS for a promised, already paid for, upgrade to UB for the Silver Orchestral library. Never again will I buy a product from East West or pay for anything before it works. Nick and Doug took my money and rode off laughing.
19th January 2008
Old 19th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicjon View Post
EastWest is pretty lame too. I've been waiting for YEARS for a promised, already paid for, upgrade to UB for the Silver Orchestral library. Never again will I buy a product from East West or pay for anything before it works. Nick and Doug took my money and rode off laughing.
19th January 2008
Old 19th January 2008
Lives for gear

It's simple - Spectrasonics is looking forward, not backward. Unfortunately, from the very day you buy one of their products you're in the rear view mirror.
Pip
19th January 2008
Old 19th January 2008
Pip
Gear addict

I'll buy it - but come on - 8 months after all the hype - it only takes 9 months to produce mini me.
theother
20th January 2008
Old 20th January 2008
theother

Quote:
Originally Posted by statikcat View Post
Sept? dfegad

Is this how you thank them for a great product?

Sure you can do it in an afternoon...

All this moaning from Mac users makes me really happy to be on a PC! (sorry for such a shallow comment!)

My life's been so much easier since I switched... But they still think they are the privileged elite with less troubles, that a 'real musician' must have a Mac, and a PC user must be a total moron.
20th January 2008
Old 20th January 2008
Lives for gear

looks and sounds cool but, i spent my money replacing trilogy and atmosphere. Thank god for arturia. I still don't get how people can go to bat for spectrasonics after a major problem has gone unsolved for so long. The wrapper system has been a pain and I can't get the authorization to stick. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but the key is all my other stuff is up and running hassle free.
20th January 2008
Old 20th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by theother View Post

Is this how you thank them for a great product?

Sure you can do it in an afternoon...

All this moaning from Mac users makes me really happy to be on a PC! (sorry for such a shallow comment!)

My life's been so much easier since I switched... But they still think they are the privileged elite with less troubles, that a 'real musician' must have a Mac, and a PC user must be a total moron.
Thank then for WHAT product? Omnisphere isn't even close to being a product and no one's used it, so no one's thanking them for that.

Thanking them for Atm or Tril? No, I don't think any Intel users are thanking them at the moment.

But the comment about Mac vs. PC... I don't see how that factors into this in any way. Can you explain?
20th January 2008
Old 20th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igotsoul4u View Post
looks and sounds cool but, i spent my money replacing trilogy and atmosphere. Thank god for arturia.
I'd like to as well. Atmosphere won't be too hard to replace, but who makes an equivalent of Trilogy?
20th January 2008
Old 20th January 2008
Lives for gear

theother
20th January 2008
Old 20th January 2008
theother

Quote:
Originally Posted by elambo View Post
Thank then for WHAT product? Omnisphere isn't even close to being a product and no one's used it, so no one's thanking them for that.

Thanking them for Atm or Tril? No, I don't think any Intel users are thanking them at the moment.

But the comment about Mac vs. PC... I don't see how that factors into this in any way. Can you explain?
I don't get you people. You make it sound like someone betrayed you!

When you bought Atm or Tril I guess it worked, right? If you buy an Intel it's your own fault.

I have WinXP and when I bought Atm & Trilogy it worked and still does. Never had one problem, and it's one of the best sounding modules I've every heard. Period.

I don't get all the blaming and spitting.

Of course Mac Intel users want an update but it's hardly Spectrasonics fault that Apple changes hardware and OS all the time which renders existing software unusable.

I'd rather have a new product, because I'm fed up with Apples time-consuming tactics from a software development point of view.

That's why I'm more happy with PCs now.
20th January 2008
Old 20th January 2008
Gear addict

Quote:

The problem, at least for me, is that spectrasonics SAID that they would have a fix for the UB problem. They have been dragging this out for an eternity, and obviously KNEW that it wouldnt be available (or at least not for eight months!!!!)

I wish I could say that I will not be buying any more spectrasonics products, but the truth of the matter is that they are incredible tools for anyone scoring an ad about the incredible bounce of the latest and greatest all in one shampoo.
20th January 2008
Old 20th January 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
I don't get you people. You make it sound like someone betrayed you!

When you bought Atm or Tril I guess it worked, right? If you buy an Intel it's your own fault.

I have WinXP and when I bought Atm & Trilogy it worked and still does. Never had one problem, and it's one of the best sounding modules I've every heard. Period.

Of course Mac Intel use want an update but it's hardly Spectrasonics fault that Apple changes hardware and OS all the time which renders existing software unusable.

I'd rather have a new product, because I'm fed up with Apples time-consuming tactics from a software development point of view.

That's why I'm more happy with PCs now.
well, I guess I'm pissed because the fact that Spectrasonic has promised on their website to give a solution for intel (like all other major software suppliers) has kept me from buying an intel mac before. In the early fall (when spectrasonics were still promisisng to get an intel solution out in fall 2007) I couldn't wait longer and bought an intel mac to replace my G5. One month later they release a public beta version of a WRAPPER!! Not a real UB solution. Then Eric from Spectrasonics comes out making us all understand that they have something big coming up at Namm. Yeah, right, for fall 2008. Sorry, but I feel kind of betrayed. If Spectrasonics haven't asured everyone about upcoming intel-solutions ll the time, I would have made the intel change long time ago, and would have find a replacement for Atmosphere.
Imagine you're working on daily basis with a certain software on your PC.Bill sends out a new Windows version that doesn't work with your software. The software provider tells you not to worry. A solution is on it's way. 2 years later they tell you now it's there! But it is a beta that doesn't work. Then you learn that there will never be a version that works, but in another year they have a great new product ready for you, that they have been working on instead of updating their existing product.

Would you be happy? Would you say "hey, that's so cool! Thanks! Don't think about all these years, all these promises. I'm so happy I'll have a new product from you in year, untill them I stay on this old system that no other developper is supporting anymore"... I doubt it...
21st January 2008
Old 21st January 2008
Gear Guru

I'm not one who is whining, but I still think those who are have a point........

Spectrasonics have some of the most widely used products by professionals in the industry.
Most professionals will be upgrading their studio and computer systems from time to time. A lot of the time an upgrade is forced upon the professional by clients request, perhaps the need to use compatible software with other Intel Mac users.

Most software producers have managed the transition to the new Mac system OK.
If one hasn't and then appears to abandon all prospect of doing so, it seems reasonable for people to complain.
21st January 2008
Old 21st January 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
I'm not one who is whining, but I still think those who are have a point........

Spectrasonics have some of the most widely used products by professionals in the industry.
Most professionals will be upgrading their studio and computer systems from time to time. A lot of the time an upgrade is forced upon the professional by clients request, perhaps the need to use compatible software with other Intel Mac users.

Most software producers have managed the transition to the new Mac system OK.
If one hasn't and then appears to abandon all prospect of doing so, it seems reasonable for people to complain.
Thanks Chris.

This is exactly how I feel. I got a little carried away when writing yesterday

"The whiner"
theother
21st January 2008
Old 21st January 2008
theother

Haha. Ok, guys, you have a point!

This is why I don't trust software developers anymore when they make announcements of products that aren't available yet.

I learned my lesson with EW the hard way by even paying upfront for a product that was in development and took them years to finish, only to sell it cheaper soon after it was released than what I got discount by ordering so early.

My point was, that these days you should only buy what is available now and works now. If you buy something based on promises made by developers for future features, you have only yourself to blame, because you haven't learned your lessons from the past.

Is this an excuse for software developers to get away with murder? Of course not! They should be ashamed by their actions.

[End of sermon]
21st January 2008
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

The first video is a gigantic turnoff to me. Just a lot of marketing BS. He just goes on and on about how good it is, how much time they have spent and so on. Is he selling ab rollers to? Just show the product as it is. If it's as good as you say, people will find out.
theother
21st January 2008
Old 21st January 2008
theother

Quote:
Originally Posted by amino View Post
The first video is a gigantic turnoff to me. Just a lot of marketing BS. He just goes on and on about how good it is, how much time they have spent and so on. Is he selling ab rollers to? Just show the product as it is. If it's as good as you say, people will find out.
I agree. They should stop this BS and just tell us when it's available.
21st January 2008
Old 21st January 2008
Lives for gear

They did the same kind of "countdown" for their launch of RMX, but as I recall is was 3-5 months instead of 8! The reason why so many here are whining (and rightfully so IMO) is their (Spectrasonics) extreme unconsistensy. RMX was I think one of the first(!) UB plugin's. For almost 2 years they say Trilogy and Atmos are coming and are very late and offer only a wrapper. Then they announce another new product, but in 8 months.

They permit themselves to play around with their clients, and of course we don't like it. If they didn't put out such great products, these kind of commercial practices would probably make us all go elsewhere. Pretty surprising coming from someone like Eric.......
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search