Iso Cab
New Reply
Subscribe
Energie
9th December 2007
Old 9th December 2007
Lives for gear

Iso Cab

Here is a new iso cab company I ran across for fun. Seems a bit more affordable I guess.. anway..

Grendel Sound Dead Room
9th December 2007
Old 9th December 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Energie View Post
Here is a new iso cab company I ran across for fun. Seems a bit more affordable I guess.. anway..

Grendel Sound Dead Room
Just checking out our statistics and saw we got a few hits from here. Letting you guys know we do exist right here, real people, ready to answer your questions!

Alex Knappenberger
Owner, Grendel Sound
9th December 2007
Old 9th December 2007
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to George Necola
how much is it`?
9th December 2007
Old 9th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Necola View Post
how much is it`?
Look at the bottom of their webpage, It's 359 dollar unloaded and 399 loaded with a speaker.
9th December 2007
Old 9th December 2007
Lives for gear

I like that you can use more than one mic. this kind of steered me away from the others I saw when I was looking for one a few years ago. I did however end up going w/ a vocalbooth 4X12 iso cab. It works great, but I think the design could be a little better. . .

this looks like a really cool product!!
9th December 2007
Old 9th December 2007
Lives for gear

How does it differ from the Randall cab?
9th December 2007
Old 9th December 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
Someone left one of the Randall cabs at my studio recently and I've been blown away at how useful it is. The sound really isn't boxy at all and actually sounds pretty "big." I've used a number of different mics/pres with it and nearly all of them sounded great!

NOW...I didn't really think I'd ever purchase one of these, but last week the guy came to pick it up and I've seriously been thinking about getting one.

I really like the fact that you can use 2 mics with this unit. I'm not sure if the Randall unit does 30 db of reduction, but it probably comes close if not.

Either way...this looks like a great cabinet!
-Kyle
http://www.myspace.com/modernrobot
http://www.myspace.com/monikermyspace
9th December 2007
Old 9th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheArchitect View Post
It's almost looks the same. With the Randall (which sounds quite cool) you can only use one mic. The Randall has a Vintage30. What's a WGS veteran 30 by the way?
9th December 2007
Old 9th December 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSweetener View Post
It's almost looks the same. With the Randall (which sounds quite cool) you can only use one mic. The Randall has a Vintage30. What's a WGS veteran 30 by the way?
Warehouse Guitar speakers import the hard parts of the speakers from asia, and the soft parts from england, and then assemble them by hand here in the USA. Celestion on the other hand has been making their speakers in China for sometime now. Tone is subjective but if you've heard an "original" Vintage 30 by Celestion when it was made in England compared to the now Chinese made ones, there is a bit of a difference. They are still making fine Chinese speakers for sure but for us the USA made Veteran 30 clone absolutely blows them away especially for recording.

It's mostly how the speaker is voiced in the upper midrange that makes the difference.
9th December 2007
Old 9th December 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebuskyle View Post
Someone left one of the Randall cabs at my studio recently and I've been blown away at how useful it is. The sound really isn't boxy at all and actually sounds pretty "big." I've used a number of different mics/pres with it and nearly all of them sounded great!

NOW...I didn't really think I'd ever purchase one of these, but last week the guy came to pick it up and I've seriously been thinking about getting one.

I really like the fact that you can use 2 mics with this unit. I'm not sure if the Randall unit does 30 db of reduction, but it probably comes close if not.

Either way...this looks like a great cabinet!
-Kyle
Thanks and I'm glad you had a good experience using the Randall. If you liked the Randall though you will definitely love ours and if I say any more about that it will probably be illegal. They're definitely a great company and we have a handful of Randall heads in the shop.
12th December 2007
Old 12th December 2007
Gear Head

Just wanted to let you guys know we dropped the prices! Get in while its hott

Alex
12th December 2007
Old 12th December 2007
Gear maniac

I already have an iso cab and love it, so I'm not in the market for one of these but I really like the idea of having it set up for two mics. I've been considering adding a second mic to mine for some time - good to see someone has it out there. Wish that was available back when I got mine. Iso cabs are great tools I think. Only thing you lose is the room sound which I think the second mic should help with a lot. Good luck with this innovative product.

Charlie
- Eventide DSP 4000
- art pro channel
- various low cost mics
- cad gxl3000 large diaphragm condenser
- AT 3031 small diaphragm condenser
- AT 3035 large diaphragm condenser
- Sennheiser e609 silver dynamic
- SM58
- CAD e300/2
software:
- PTLE 7.3
- Reason
- Reaper !
12th December 2007
Old 12th December 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
If you liked the Randall though you will definitely love ours
What if you don´t like the Randall isocab, you will not like this either?
13th December 2007
Old 13th December 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to slaves666
I have the Demeter Cab and I love it.....I have the vintage 30 model and modded it to have 2 Mics, cost me around $375 including the MOD. I think they offer a stereo version too.....check it out here....

Demeter Amplification Products

14th December 2007
Old 14th December 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMWS View Post
What if you don´t like the Randall isocab, you will not like this either?
I said if you LIKED the Randall you will LOVE ours because it's a lot better, didn't think I had to clarify that.

Alex
14th December 2007
Old 14th December 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by slaves666 View Post
I have the Demeter Cab and I love it.....I have the vintage 30 model and modded it to have 2 Mics, cost me around $375 including the MOD. I think they offer a stereo version too.....check it out here....

Demeter Amplification Products

Looks like a good product but the thin padding for absorption as well as the bad dimensions (30"x18"x18") already tell me how it's going to sound. Also why does it weigh so little, 50lbs loaded? Our iso cab (dead room) without casters is only 29"x18.5"x16" and comes in at about 80lbs loaded. Also the handles on that are on the wrong sides for me, looks like a back breaker.

Edit- Also the use of recessed handles should be forbidden on an isolation cabinet because well, it's supposed to be as quiet as possible. With recessed handles you cut out a square in the wood to insert the handle into. They are nice and completely normal on regular guitar cabinets but on an isolation cabinet we're talking about sound leakage through the handles. Doesn't seem thought out. We use surface mount handles for that reason.

Also we're selling ours for $289 unloaded and $339 with a high quality V30 clone that is excellent for recording.
14th December 2007
Old 14th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrendelSound View Post
Just wanted to let you guys know we dropped the prices! Get in while its hott

Alex
Hey Alex,
How long is the price drop gonna last? I'm definitely interested in picking one of these up, but it likely can't happen til after I recover from holiday spending.
---
c
14th December 2007
Old 14th December 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisp2u View Post
Hey Alex,
How long is the price drop gonna last? I'm definitely interested in picking one of these up, but it likely can't happen til after I recover from holiday spending.
---
c
Probably well into February.
3rd January 2008
Old 3rd January 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Probably well into February.
It's back up to $360 from $340 on your site (and the $330 you were selling it for on ebay), do we have to email you seperately to get the sale price up until February?

I was holding out on placing my order until after the holidays before placing my order to make sure I had taken care of all the bills and whatnot, was looking to order one of your dead rooms within the next week or so.
3rd January 2008
Old 3rd January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Looks like a good product but the thin padding for absorption as well as the bad dimensions (30"x18"x18") already tell me how it's going to sound. Also why does it weigh so little, 50lbs loaded? Our iso cab (dead room) without casters is only 29"x18.5"x16" and comes in at about 80lbs loaded. Also the handles on that are on the wrong sides for me, looks like a back breaker.

Edit- Also the use of recessed handles should be forbidden on an isolation cabinet because well, it's supposed to be as quiet as possible. With recessed handles you cut out a square in the wood to insert the handle into. They are nice and completely normal on regular guitar cabinets but on an isolation cabinet we're talking about sound leakage through the handles. Doesn't seem thought out. We use surface mount handles for that reason.

Also we're selling ours for $289 unloaded and $339 with a high quality V30 clone that is excellent for recording.
I know you're trying to sell your product but......"thin padding for absorption as well as the bad dimensions (30"x18"x18") already tell me how it's going to sound"

Seriously....If you are going to knock a product, please at least do your research and try one, then comment.

I am very happy with mine, and is silent enough. It sit beside my DAW, and while tracking I don't have to boost my mains to hear the guitar.

Anyways.........good luck with your product.
7th January 2008
Old 7th January 2008
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to Autocrat
7th January 2008
Old 7th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autocrat View Post
Looks like they raised the prices instead of offering a discount:

Grendel Sound Dead Room
The shipping is $5 cheaper now though.
---
c
9th January 2008
Old 9th January 2008
Gear interested

I ordered one of the Grendel iso cabs. I have a Carvin Legacy 100 watt head that starts sounding good with the volume at around 3.5-4. This is incredibly loud so I'm hoping this iso cab can help me record more often without pissing everyone off. I'll post some clips in a few weeks when it arrives.
9th January 2008
Old 9th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by legacy00 View Post
I ordered one of the Grendel iso cabs. I have a Carvin Legacy 100 watt head that starts sounding good with the volume at around 3.5-4. This is incredibly loud so I'm hoping this iso cab can help me record more often without pissing everyone off. I'll post some clips in a few weeks when it arrives.
Be careful running a 60 watt speaker with a 100 watt head, unless you are going to put your own speaker in the box.

Let us know how this works out. I'm very interested.

"Don't play everything. Let some things go by. Some music is just imagined" - Thelonius Monk
TRA
9th January 2008
Old 9th January 2008
TRA
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater View Post
Be careful running a 60 watt speaker with a 100 watt head, unless you are going to put your own speaker in the box.

Let us know how this works out. I'm very interested.

No problem using a 100watt head with a 60 watt speaker.
9th January 2008
Old 9th January 2008
Lives for gear

I got a Marshall PowerBrake..... Helps a lot.
9th January 2008
Old 9th January 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRA View Post
Yup, you want your speakers to break up before your amp is pumping square waves into them. Trouble would be clipping a 60 watt amp into a 100 watt speaker.

Too many red flags with Grendel for me to want to try their cab out, I think it might be best to just get the Randall and toss some rigid fiberglass into the lid to help cut out the boxiness.
9th January 2008
Old 9th January 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRA View Post
oooookay, then
10th January 2008
Old 10th January 2008
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeyjazz View Post
Too many red flags with Grendel for me to want to try their cab out, I think it might be best to just get the Randall and toss some rigid fiberglass into the lid to help cut out the boxiness.
Such as.....???
10th January 2008
Old 10th January 2008
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater View Post
oooookay, then
You can also run it at 50W, which is probably what I'll do for the iso cab.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search