Old 2nd September 2007
Lives for gear

Prism Sound Orpheus

Anyone tried one yet? Please report...

-SD
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

The concept is great, class-A preamp. class-A D-A in one box. In a bag with a Macbook and 4 Sonodore mics.... Might be handluggage..... (4 more additional channels would be great though...)
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Looks like a great box. A couple concerns though.

-Why'd they do 4 mic pre's? I don't know if the economics works this way, but I'd prefer 2 "better" mics pre's than 4 "good".

-Why no XLR??? It's all 1/4 I/O connections. At least I wouldn't have to buy new Mogami cables if I upgrade from my Fireface 800.

-I hope with the new Logic Pro 8, the Orpheus will have the same routing features that the Apogee Symphony has. That is a huge selling point for me...It's BS that it's not a built in Logic feature (such as the ability to route a bus into a track and record it), it's only a Symphony feature right now.
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

deleted

Last edited by Dr Gruv; 5th September 2007 at 02:48 AM.. Reason: deleted
5th September 2007
Old 5th September 2007
Gear addict

no users yet? Anyone who worked with it on a daily routine/basis?

I totally agree with the fact that 2-4 I/O more would be more usefull (without becoming that more expensive)

And I also totally agree with the fact that 2 ''outstanding,kickass'' preamps would be better then 4 ''good''. But I ain't got a clue about how good those mic preamps are. When an Avalon VT737 got a 9 out of 10. The Prism preamps would have a ? out of 10?

What I defintly like on specs is the fact that there are 2 headphone options and one volume-control.

I brainstorming about a ''maybe futuretive purchase'' of a Orpheus.
6th September 2007
Old 6th September 2007
Lives for gear

please can anybody make us a part of orpheus sound with a wav file .

thanks many times patrick
7th September 2007
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Still Beta testing

No results and experiences with orpheus because it is not released yet, next month though. 4 Mic-pre's because the market wanted that. Want 8? Buy 2, still cheaper then a DA8. Chris Allen likes Jules a lot and says Jules is spending so much time on GS that he hardly has time leftover to be a record engineer...
7th September 2007
Old 7th September 2007
Gear addict

Another month again????

*where is the AES connection instalt on the rearpanel of the orpheus?
How does the AES connection/cables are going to look like?
* I presume that it is going to be possible to go for the FW option and update in the future to an AES option?
7th September 2007
Old 7th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeklanoei View Post
Another month again????

*where is the AES connection instalt on the rearpanel of the orpheus?
How does the AES connection/cables are going to look like?
* I presume that it is going to be possible to go for the FW option and update in the future to an AES option?
the AES connection is actually an adapter cable used to convert the spdif port.
8th September 2007
Old 8th September 2007
Gear addict

oke, so there is AES cable/adapter wich you connect on the spdiff channels and the spdiff channel are running into AES?

Since spdiff is 2 channels, how are is it possible to bouch 8 channels in to your comp. then?

maybe the FW is not a bad option after all.
sonicdefault
8th September 2007
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

I'm looking forward to this product.
8th September 2007
Old 8th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by boeklanoei View Post
oke, so there is AES cable/adapter wich you connect on the spdiff channels and the spdiff channel are running into AES?

Since spdiff is 2 channels, how are is it possible to bouch 8 channels in to your comp. then?

maybe the FW is not a bad option after all.
You can't "bouch" 8 channels of AES, only 2...or you could buy 4 Orpheus'.
9th September 2007
Old 9th September 2007
Gear addict

I could bounch 8 channels I/O into the comp. by FW?
(The lynx Aurora can do so)
13th September 2007
Old 13th September 2007
Gear addict

I hate the 8 inputs configuration you find in most interfaces, the only time I need more than 2/3 channels is when recording a drum set, and 8 in's doesn't cut it for the most common drum sets. I will rarelly need 16 channels (which is the next step for converters).

Having said that - I'm looking forward to purchase an Orpheus. Using the 2 digital spdif/AES inputs to receive the output of a, say, Neve 1073 DPD or an API A2D I get 10 inputs, 8 of them through Prism converters. I already own a handmade dual tube pre, so I'm thinking of purchasing a pair of different coloured pre's (a Germanium and a Millennia Origin ) besides those Neve-API and relying on the 4 prism pre's the Orpheus provides (I'm sure they will be much nicer than the ones on my Mackie Onyx). I'm sure this setup will be enough for me for a lot of time, I work mainly in my own project studio and do a lot of location recording, so a FW interface perfectly fits my needs. On the otherside, puting all this gear together means a lot of money, so I don't think it's going to be a short term investment.

I'm not being paid by Prism , I just wanted to show my excitement about this item. It would be nice to read a review by a real user. If someone figured out the kind of setup I'm looking for (high-end conversion, at least 10 channels, FW if possible) and knows of an alternative solution, I'll be happy to check.
14th September 2007
Old 14th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomichael View Post
You can't "bouch" 8 channels of AES, only 2...or you could buy 4 Orpheus'.
14th September 2007
Old 14th September 2007
Gear addict

Sad detail, The Orpheus is shipping in November. So we have to wait almost 2 months.
2nd October 2007
Old 2nd October 2007
Gear addict

Very sad detail again. A little update for what I've heard today. The Orpheus is delayed again and right now it's available in december. Make that next year.
2nd October 2007
Old 2nd October 2007
Lives for gear

i heard from swiss it comes november

meaby some of the prism guys can give a info for all of us !?

greetz patrick
3rd October 2007
Old 3rd October 2007
Gear addict

Would be very nice when someone from Prism Sound can give us the right information!
3rd October 2007
Old 3rd October 2007
Gear nut

The french distributor just told me that it will be release mid october.....
3rd October 2007
Old 3rd October 2007
Lives for gear

ladys and gentlemen

well sound like they build a new convertor for next generation of iphones(releasepoint)

hahaha

patrick
8th October 2007
Old 8th October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildpark View Post
meaby some of the prism guys can give a info for all of us !?
Hi

We are shipping in November, but due to a huge number of pre-orders (which grows every week) any that are ordered direct from us now will probably not be available till December or even later.

The first few 'lots' have been assigned to various dealers and distributors who may very well have some stock, so your best chance to get one sooner rather than later would be to contact them.

Email me direct with any queries - chris.allen@prismsound.com

Regards
8th October 2007
Old 8th October 2007
I saw the software control interface for this on a laptop at the show..

Looks cool
9th October 2007
Old 9th October 2007
Gear addict

Thats just one of the reasons why I'm going to make a switch for the orpheus. I seems that the software control interface is very logic en very compete and easy to use.
10th October 2007
Old 10th October 2007
Lives for gear

Hi Chris,

Do you have any more information / screenshots of the software?

Have you tested it with Leopard?

TIA

Matt
10th October 2007
Old 10th October 2007
Gear Head

Hi Matt

Check this page for software info as well as pics of the software, click on the images to enlarge.

The only thing regarding driver compatibility with operating systems is that Orpheus will not be 64 bit Windows Vista compatible as that version bars all unsigned drivers. 32 bit will be fine.
I'll confirm Leopard for you, but is fine as far as I'm aware.

Chris
15th October 2007
Old 15th October 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Allen View Post
Hi Matt

Check this page for software info as well as pics of the software, click on the images to enlarge.

The only thing regarding driver compatibility with operating systems is that Orpheus will not be 64 bit Windows Vista compatible as that version bars all unsigned drivers. 32 bit will be fine.
I'll confirm Leopard for you, but is fine as far as I'm aware.

Chris
Thanks!

(Interested in using it with Macs + Leopard)
16th October 2007
Old 16th October 2007
Gear addict

Chris Allen, can you please keep me up to date, when it is possible to order the Orpheus in the Netherlands?
17th October 2007
Old 17th October 2007
Gear nut

What's the latest expected shipping dates in the U.S.?

Gonzo
23rd October 2007
Old 23rd October 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gonzo View Post
What's the latest expected shipping dates in the U.S.?

Gonzo
November
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search