MUNICH, GERMANY - MAY 2009: Today Metric Halo launched its much-anticipated ULN-8 - an industry-changing audio processing converter and interface. Featuring archival-grade converters, enhanced digitally controlled ULN (ultra low-noise, high-headroom) preamps, dedicated analog-domain sends and returns, analog domain 7.1 monitor controller, AES interfacing, extensive front panel control with excellent front panel metering all built atop Metric Halo’s renowned fifth generation 2d Processing, mixing and FireWire interfacing platform, the ULN-8 establishes a new competitive standard for professional audio.
Building upon the experience gained with the Mobile I/O 2882 and ULN-2, Metric Halo set out to design an integrated product to literally provide the best performance in each of its component sections while still providing all of the benefits of tight integration in a single field-capable package. The ULN-8 is the result of that development program. INTEGRATION FOR THE WIN
By implementing all the functions of a complete audio front end in a single package, the ULN-8 is able to provide unprecedented power and quality in a lightweight, low-power consumption, single RU hardware unit. This integration provides significant benefits to the owner in the form of reduced cabling (lower cost, weight and less opportunity for failure), weight, power consumption, and cost, while at the same time providing unprecedented performance. SUITE SOLUTION
With everything you need to record, mix, process, and master audio (just add your DAW of choice and transducers), the ULN-8 is your one-stop solution for recording, editing, mixing and mastering suites. Even if you are using a DAW or recording system that does not support the ULN-8 FireWire interface, the unit’s standalone operation and standard AES and analog interface allow you to use it as the Audio Front End and Monitor Controller for Pro Tools, standalone and PC-based recording systems. ULN-8 FEATURES INCLUDE
• Eight channels of archival quality, zero-phase distortion DC-coupled, calibrated 192k A/D
• Ten channels of archival quality, zero-phase distortion DC-coupled, calibrated 192k D/A
• Eight channels of Metric Halo digitally remote-controlled, high-headroom ULN-R preamps
• Two channels of exceptional ultra high-Z direct input for instruments
• 8in/8out 192k AES interface
• Full-featured front panel tactile control surface for standalone and connected operation
• All inputs switchable between line and mic
• Eight channels of analog domain send (for analog S/R before conversion and analog preamp output)
• Metric Halo’s exclusive per-channel selectable Character
• Word clock in and out
• Digitally-controlled analog domain monitor control
• Full-featured fifteen segment precision metering
• SMPTE I/O channels
• MIDI I/O for direct connect of Mackie control protocol control surface
• Integrated mixing and deep instantiable DSP processing (includes full +DSP license)
• Rock-solid stability - mature, real-world-tested firmware, & time-tested fifth-generation Mac OS software and drivers
• FireWire interfacing with ultra-stable, ultra low-latency drivers (FW400 & FW800 supported)
• Exceptional power performance (only 32 watts - DC powerable)
• Low mass (9 lbs. / 4.1 kg.)
• Extremely compact (everything in 1 RU)
• Rack-mountable JACK-OF-ALL-TRADES AND MASTER OF THEM ALL
The ULN-8 provides mastering room, archival quality conversion at multichannel prices. From a quality perspective, the ULN-8 provides a complete mastering toolkit - ready to drive a mastering suite. With transparent converters (A/D/A conversion is inaudible) and transparent reciprocal processing, the ULN-8 provides a load-in, monitoring and processing interface for any mastering suite. Eight channels of conversion and AES interfacing allow for multiple analog and digital processing signal chains as well as monitoring and processing in surround. If more analog processing chains are required, additional ULN-8s may be added to a system.
The same quality standards apply to the preamps provided for the ULN-8. For recording, the ULN-8 allows you to leave the boutique preamps at home because the preamps in the ULN-8 are boutique pres. They just don’t require extra power, weight or cabling to be used. Multiple ULN-8s may be combined to build large-scale recording packages in a small space. The ULN-8 can also be combined with 2882 and ULN-2 units in a complete recording system.
The integrated mixer in the ULN-8 is not a mere cue mixer. It is a complete digital console with mono to 7.1 bus support, monitor control section, instantiable delay-compensated processing with full delay-compensated send and return support in the mixer. Not only can you mix monitor mixes for performers with essentially zero latency, you can also mix the show live for an immediate stereo reference.
At mix down time, utilize the acclaimed mixing and processing engine in the ULN-8 as your ultra-high-quality digital outboard summing system. Or, if you are an analog-summing aficionado, you can use the exceptional converters in the ULN-8 to drive your analog summing bus and capture the results. The ULN-8 A/D/A is penalty free. But as many engineers have discovered, the exceptional mix-bus quality of the 2d Mix engine coupled with MH’s exclusive Character processing may leave you wondering why you would go to the trouble to use an analog summing bus, as it is already in the ULN-8. BEST PERFORMANCE, BEST PRICE
Simply put, the ULN-8 represents the best value in pro audio today. The ULN-8 has an MSRP of US $5,995, and is available immediately from Metric Halo and it’s worldwide distribution channel. ABOUT METRIC HALO
Based New York’s Hudson Valley, Metric Halo provides the world with high-resolution metering, analysis, recording and processing solutions with award-winning software and hardware. Visit us at: Metric Halo
from: METRIC HALO INTRODUCES ULN-8 FLAGSHIP CONVERTER / PROCESSOR / PREAMP / INTERFACE | BriefingRoom on Broadcast Engineering Magazine