Login / Register

Metric Halo - what's the gossip?
New Reply
Subscribe
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Lives for gear

Why do they insist on using D-subs!!!!!
Cant stand them. Yeah they save space but they dont save you money...
Adds a significant amount to the price that needs to be factored in..
GnS
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
GnS
Gear nut

Send a message via ICQ to GnS
Okay, i was wrong. The price is NOT 6000$, it's just 5995$

More information is out:

Metric Halo ULN-8 - MacMusic

To me the biggest difference to previous models like the 2882 is the ADAT Port. I can't see if the 8 AES/EBU channels can be used additionally to the 8 analog I/Os. I'm afraid, they can't... so it is a 8 In/Out Interface.
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by GnS View Post
To me the biggest difference to previous models like the 2882 is the ADAT Port. I can't see if the 8 AES/EBU channels can be used additionally to the 8 analog I/Os. I'm afraid, they can't... so it is a 8 In/Out Interface.
While the complete details of the product will be posted on our site soon, I do feel the need to reply to this.

(a) you are wrong about the biggest difference being the AES - that is really only one small difference amongst many, many large differences

(b) The AES is fully active as first class I/O on the ULN-8 -- just as you would expect. You can route all 16 inputs and 18 outputs to and from the computer, or you can direct route between the I/O ports with no latency.

Best regards,

B.J. Buchalter
Metric Halo
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldphinga View Post
Why do they insist on using D-subs!!!!!
Cant stand them. Yeah they save space but they dont save you money...
Adds a significant amount to the price that needs to be factored in..
Because there is no way to put 40 standard connectors on a 1RU box. If we used XLR connectors it would have been a 3RU box.
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Lives for gear

I really like d-subs, I can plug them right into the back of my patch bay!

6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Gear interested

Thank you BJ for being so brilliant and wonderful!

I dont know what I would do without Metric Halo!
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Gear Guru

uphonic
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Gear nut

yipeeeehhh

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmm286 View Post
Metric Halo <<< Looks like they have big plans this Thursday at AES.
title says it all!

6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Gear nut

is there going to be an option for 8 jensen's in this sucker???
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidasHatesGold View Post
will it work on pc????????????
Only the mastering version. Add 2 k for stepped controls and the option to customize. PC only though. No one masters on a... what you call it ?? mac ? fuuck
<Judge-Mental> kill me
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bleak orange View Post
Only the mastering version. Add 2 k for stepped controls and the option to customize. PC only though. No one masters on a... what you call it ?? mac ? fuuck
ha ha ...dont wanna spend 6000 bucks for an interface to spend 3k more for a macbook,which can be beaten by any pc , in terms of power for half the price! Well...but they´ll rocket you in the league of the cool dudes.
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Gear addict

+1 for the D-Sub. Believe it or not, depending on your studio set up they can save you considerable money...

- many large format consoles have used d-subs in the same format (now colloquially known as digi) since the early 90s (we bought a new D&R Orion in '93 w/dsubs to it's entire patchbay). Other consoles we looked at in that day used them or Tuschels (talk about insane and expensive... but cool!).

- Current D-Sub/TT patchbays are quite advanced, and ultimately cheaper AND better (e.g. try changing normalling in the middle of a session on a hard-wired bay - new bays do this with a panel switch, anytime you want) in daily use than old-school hand-soldered looms, and much better sonically and reliability-wise than TRS-terminated bays. When I was at Sound Images we replaced a four TT-pigtail bays with DB25/TT bays (leaving tie-lines alone in one soldered bay). During the remodel my room was out of service (billing @ $150/hr this cost us about $600-800/day)

- not only did the new snakes save a day of soldering (then testing/troubleshooting each of the 300+ points), we exchanged 200+ lbs of superfluous cabling that had accrued over the past 10 years or so, for 75 lbs of better-sounding cable. It took less than an hour to wire the entire room (only had to plug in one end of each cable, half as much work). When we tested the system, the only failed points were in the remaining soldered bay - our gentle rearrangement created new problems.

- since digi has started using this and pretty much control the market for pro commercial daws, there's been a lot of support activity. Digi-based studios will save a TON of money on cabling - with runs under 25' (more depending on your cable type), a Dsub-Dsub cable can be half the cost of XLR-XLR and nearly that vs. TRS.

- Similarly, an 8 channel snake that terminates in XLRs on one end and DB25s at the other will cost about $20-25 less than the same cable terminating at XLRs on both sides. Cheaper is cheaper. You can't compare apples and oranges based on cables you bought years ago.

Your claim of economy is predicated on your existing wiring, maybe connected to outboard stuff. Even if you have great installed wires, it's not as hard as you think to solder some db25s to one end... we did it when we got the D&R, and with a partner assigned to each existing snake (4 total - we bought new ones too), it took less than an hour total. For our trouble we had a system that could easily be switched back and forth between the 2" analog machine and PTHD, without reconnecting 16 individual cables.

Anyway, I don't buy the claim that DSUB costs more as a rule. In fact the opposite is true. And for PT rooms, the choice will save a ton of money, and the switch might improve sound quality in the process (upgrading cables and interconnects). The cables are inherently lighter too (16 XLRs weigh a lot more than 2 DB25s), but that's another story, unrelated to cost. It matters a lot if you do remotes (as I do).

At any rate, my experience with DSUBs has been uniformly positive, and in fact they've saved me considerable money (and help my aching old back!) vs. the same cables with XLRs or TRS. In the cases where we were adapting legacy cables, it was a short term nuisance, but it paid long term dividends (still in use at my old place on the Orion).

So - some people can spend a lot of extra money on new cables to save soldering time/hassle to get to DSUB. Thats a choice, not a requirement though - others will spend a little money and invest time in soldering on existing cables (in the pic the box has just 5 connectors - with solder that should be under $10 total). But in new installations, you can expect to save $20-30 PER CABLE, (more when connecting to digi gear) all thanks to the use dsubs.

This just isn't a fair criticism overall. Apples/apples it's flat wrong, and apples/oranges, it's sometimes wrong too. So it's a mixed bag, in the absolute worst case (where user has to decide to spend money replacing cables or time adapting connectors).

-d-

Last edited by Dave Davis; 6th May 2009 at 08:09 PM.. Reason: adjust tag
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

MacBooks are not $3k. Apple happens to only make premium machines in each of the classes that they have products in. As such, these machines carry a premium price tag, but are also comparable and competitive with other manufacturer's premium machines with the same specs. Of course, there are budget machines that are either lower priced or outperform the Apple machines at the same price or slightly lower price, but to say that you can find a machine at half the cost that outperforms a Mac is simply not true, when making fair comparisons based upon the outfit of the machines in question. Rumor has it that Apple is preparing to enter the budget laptop market too.
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh_bj View Post
Because there is no way to put 40 standard connectors on a 1RU box. If we used XLR connectors it would have been a 3RU box.
Id rather it was a 3U box that i could plug directly into. Works for me...
When i take an interface out with me live i can do without Dsubs too...

Im sure this will be a fantastic sounding box but i dont like Dsubs-i dont want to rewire my studio

..sorry.
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Gear addict

Totally understand the pain of rewire, Goldphinga... seems like a case where YMMV/poison-selection.

I'll note though that these days most of my recording work is location-based (I'm a mastering engineer by trade)... you know where i'm going... dsub makes set up faster for me, and cuts many many pounds off my load-in. Since I often work alone, that's a huge benefit.

...But again there's rewiring to see the benefit, and I completely sympathize with avoidance there, as long as your getting the sounds you need without it. In my case(s) I was starting clean or had extra hands/few dsubs to get it done. That's a big difference. My point was mostly in response to the cost thing, but the same caveats apply there.

cheers,

-d-
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
ha ha ...dont wanna spend 6000 bucks for an interface to spend 3k more for a macbook,which can be beaten by any pc , in terms of power for half the price! Well...but they´ll rocket you in the league of the cool dudes.
This thing isn't just an "interface." This is way out of the league of M-Audio, RME, and MOTU. Regardless of platform, you're thinking in the wrong categories. I can't say more today. Wait until tomorrow.
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by syntax View Post
This thing isn't just an "interface." This is way out of the league of M-Audio, RME, and MOTU. Regardless of platform, you're thinking in the wrong categories. I can't say more today. Wait until tomorrow.

Ok...maybe the word interface is a bit inappropriate. For that price it should outperform evrything, right?

@tsvisser

don´t wanna diss macs...don´t get me wrong...BUT I grew up with pc....and for personal "home studio use" I stay with PC...

I love to work with Macs in Studios....but an investment of $6k plus a new macbook...(I alway buy the fastest laptop to have it for a longtime period) is I bid out of my range...

I can´t buy both...(though I would)

just checked the apple page for my dream mac ...costs 3500€...that´s more then $4k....no way! And it isn´t even a quad.

regards
GnS
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
GnS
Gear nut

Send a message via ICQ to GnS
Quote:
Originally Posted by mh_bj View Post
While the complete details of the product will be posted on our site soon, I do feel the need to reply to this.

(a) you are wrong about the biggest difference being the AES - that is really only one small difference amongst many, many large differences

(b) The AES is fully active as first class I/O on the ULN-8 -- just as you would expect. You can route all 16 inputs and 18 outputs to and from the computer, or you can direct route between the I/O ports with no latency.
Wow, so still it can handle 16/18 channels? This is great! Some kind of "Pre and ADC" Interface with AES Output would be great for expanding that ULN8
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
MacBooks are not $3k. Apple happens to only make premium machines in each of the classes that they have products in.
You have to buy a premium model if you want to use any firewire interface.

For $6,000, you can buy an Orpheus and 4 channels of nice pre's to suppliment. Why would I want a metric halo?
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Gear maniac

Thumbs up

Metric Halo unveils the ULN-8, an industry-changing audio processing converter and interface. Featuring archival-grade converters, enhanced digitally controlled ULN (ultra low-noise, high-headroom) preamps, dedicated analog-domain sends and returns, analog domain 7.1 monitor controller, AES interfacing, extensive front panel control with excellent front panel metering all built atop Metric Halo's renowned fifth generation 2d Processing, mixing and FireWire interfacing platform, the ULN-8 establishes a new competitive standard for professional audio.

Features :

• Eight channels of archival quality, zero-phase distortion DC-coupled, calibrated 192k A/D
• Ten channels of archival quality, zero-phase distortion DC-coupled, calibrated 192k D/A
• Eight channels of Metric Halo digitally remote-controlled, high-headroom ULN-R preamps 
(-130dBu EIN)
• Two channels of exceptional ultra high-Z direct input for instruments
• 8in/8out 192k AES interface
• Full-featured front panel tactile control surface for standalone and connected operation
• All inputs switchable between line and mic
• Eight channels of analog domain send (for analog S/R before conversion and analog preamp output)
• Metric Halo's exclusive per-channel selectable Character
• Word clock in and out
• Digitally-controlled analog domain monitor control
• Full-featured fifteen segment precision metering
• SMPTE I/O channels
• MIDI I/O for direct connect of Mackie control protocol control surface
• Integrated mixing and deep instantiable DSP processing (includes full +DSP license)
• Rock-solid stability - mature, real-world-tested firmware, & time-tested fifth-generation Mac OS software and drivers
• FireWire interfacing with ultra-stable, ultra low-latency drivers (FW400 & FW800 supported)
• Exceptional power performance (only 32 watts - DC powerable)
• Low mass (9 lbs. / 4.1 kg.)
• Extremely compact (everything in 1 RU)
• Rack-mountable

The ULN-8 has an MSRP of US $5.995.

-----------8<------------

OK, so the Mackie MIDI control is VERY intriguing! Is this for controlling the mio mixer from an MCU directly? Why not an RJ45 port too, then for Euph?
the analogue Send/Returns is also kick ass, as is the direct KNOB Volume control of the mains. Given the any to any routing options of the mixer, too...this thing is shaping up to be quite impressive. $6k ends up looking cheap. With the analog Send/Returns... might this make analogue summing (rather, running various sub mixes to outboard gear during summing of entire mix) a 'redundant' endeavor if everything is phase-perfect on the ULN8 I/O?

This sounds like
a) an incredible interface, period
b) worth thousands of $$$ in 'character' (the more i use it the more i LOVE it!)
c) a digital outboard FX/routing hub of immense proportions!
d) A Dangerous D-box (talkback aside, what else?) replacement of sorts
e) 8 boutique, crazy nice Pre's
f) a 1-U all in one DSP box too if added!
g) a fader/midi controllable soft mixer that is 80-bit, phase corrected, and ready to shmear on character, compression, limiters, the works!
h) buncha other stuff won't know about tomorrow!
i) remote controllable? zuh?

Sold! (that is, if i can get away with zero kidneys?)thumbsup
Dynaudio BM6 (pr) + Hafler 400w Amp: $909
Equator D8 Monitors (pr): $606
Allen & Heath ZED R-16: $909
SPL 2Control: $505
Yamaha DX-200: $303
AcidCode ML-303 (rare one-off build, kit sold as-is, 95% complete!): $404
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Gear maniac

Wink Full Details out

Bitchin' Camaro:

--------8<-----------------8<
MUNICH, GERMANY - MAY 2009: Today Metric Halo launched its much-anticipated ULN-8 - an industry-changing audio processing converter and interface. Featuring archival-grade converters, enhanced digitally controlled ULN (ultra low-noise, high-headroom) preamps, dedicated analog-domain sends and returns, analog domain 7.1 monitor controller, AES interfacing, extensive front panel control with excellent front panel metering all built atop Metric Halo’s renowned fifth generation 2d Processing, mixing and FireWire interfacing platform, the ULN-8 establishes a new competitive standard for professional audio.
Building upon the experience gained with the Mobile I/O 2882 and ULN-2, Metric Halo set out to design an integrated product to literally provide the best performance in each of its component sections while still providing all of the benefits of tight integration in a single field-capable package. The ULN-8 is the result of that development program.

INTEGRATION FOR THE WIN By implementing all the functions of a complete audio front end in a single package, the ULN-8 is able to provide unprecedented power and quality in a lightweight, low-power consumption, single RU hardware unit. This integration provides significant benefits to the owner in the form of reduced cabling (lower cost, weight and less opportunity for failure), weight, power consumption, and cost, while at the same time providing unprecedented performance.

SUITE SOLUTION With everything you need to record, mix, process, and master audio (just add your DAW of choice and transducers), the ULN-8 is your one-stop solution for recording, editing, mixing and mastering suites. Even if you are using a DAW or recording system that does not support the ULN-8 FireWire interface, the unit’s standalone operation and standard AES and analog interface allow you to use it as the Audio Front End and Monitor Controller for Pro Tools, standalone and PC-based recording systems.

ULN-8 FEATURES INCLUDE

• Eight channels of archival quality, zero-phase distortion DC-coupled, calibrated 192k A/D

• Ten channels of archival quality, zero-phase distortion DC-coupled, calibrated 192k D/A

• Eight channels of Metric Halo digitally remote-controlled, high-headroom ULN-R preamps

(-130dBu EIN)

• Two channels of exceptional ultra high-Z direct input for instruments

• 8in/8out 192k AES interface

• Full-featured front panel tactile control surface for standalone and connected operation

• All inputs switchable between line and mic

• Eight channels of analog domain send (for analog S/R before conversion and analog preamp output)

• Metric Halo’s exclusive per-channel selectable Character

• Word clock in and out

• Digitally-controlled analog domain monitor control

• Full-featured fifteen segment precision metering

• SMPTE I/O channels

• MIDI I/O for direct connect of Mackie control protocol control surface

• Integrated mixing and deep instantiable DSP processing (includes full +DSP license)

• Rock-solid stability - mature, real-world-tested firmware, & time-tested fifth-generation Mac OS software and drivers

• FireWire interfacing with ultra-stable, ultra low-latency drivers (FW400 & FW800 supported)

• Exceptional power performance (only 32 watts - DC powerable)

• Low mass (9 lbs. / 4.1 kg.)

• Extremely compact (everything in 1 RU)

• Rack-mountable

JACK-OF-ALL-TRADES AND MASTER OF THEM ALL The ULN-8 provides mastering room, archival quality conversion at multichannel prices. From a quality perspective, the ULN-8 provides a complete mastering toolkit - ready to drive a mastering suite. With transparent converters (A/D/A conversion is inaudible) and transparent reciprocal processing, the ULN-8 provides a load-in, monitoring and processing interface for any mastering suite. Eight channels of conversion and AES interfacing allow for multiple analog and digital processing signal chains as well as monitoring and processing in surround. If more analog processing chains are required, additional ULN-8s may be added to a system.

The same quality standards apply to the preamps provided for the ULN-8. For recording, the ULN-8 allows you to leave the boutique preamps at home because the preamps in the ULN-8 are boutique pres. They just don’t require extra power, weight or cabling to be used. Multiple ULN-8s may be combined to build large-scale recording packages in a small space. The ULN-8 can also be combined with 2882 and ULN-2 units in a complete recording system.

The integrated mixer in the ULN-8 is not a mere cue mixer. It is a complete digital console with mono to 7.1 bus support, monitor control section, instantiable delay-compensated processing with full delay-compensated send and return support in the mixer. Not only can you mix monitor mixes for performers with essentially zero latency, you can also mix the show live for an immediate stereo reference.

At mix down time, utilize the acclaimed mixing and processing engine in the ULN-8 as your ultra-high-quality digital outboard summing system. Or, if you are an analog-summing aficionado, you can use the exceptional converters in the ULN-8 to drive your analog summing bus and capture the results. The ULN-8 A/D/A is penalty free. But as many engineers have discovered, the exceptional mix-bus quality of the 2d Mix engine coupled with MH’s exclusive Character processing may leave you wondering why you would go to the trouble to use an analog summing bus, as it is already in the ULN-8.

BEST PERFORMANCE, BEST PRICE Simply put, the ULN-8 represents the best value in pro audio today. The ULN-8 has an MSRP of US $5,995, and is available immediately from Metric Halo and it’s worldwide distribution channel.

ABOUT METRIC HALO Based New York’s Hudson Valley, Metric Halo provides the world with high-resolution metering, analysis, recording and processing solutions with award-winning software and hardware. Visit us at: Metric Halo
--------------8<----------8<
from: METRIC HALO INTRODUCES ULN-8 FLAGSHIP CONVERTER / PROCESSOR / PREAMP / INTERFACE | BriefingRoom on Broadcast Engineering Magazine
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009

yawn...too expensive to be on my radar
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTimey View Post
yawn...too expensive to be on my radar
Yes, but at only $6k, it's a great 'big buy' versus spending $50k of stink, analogue summing, conversion, Digital AES mixing, etc....
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by rumleymusic View Post
For $6,000, you can buy an Orpheus and 4 channels of nice pre's to suppliment. Why would I want a metric halo?
Because the conversion and the pre´s will be better on the ULN-8 !!!

wait & see....

I know it doesn´t look like this....but the ULN-8 is rather DAD/Lavry Blue or Gold territory....as are the pre´s....(there I said it, flame me...I don´t care!)
picksail; 28th August 2008, 08:55 AM

"The best sounding sluttiest gear of all time... is a great song" --Greg Wells

http://www.hi-endgear.com

http://www.audio-import.de
6th May 2009
Old 6th May 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shagghie View Post
Yes, but at only $6k, it's a great 'big buy' versus spending $50k of stink, analogue summing, conversion, Digital AES mixing, etc....
What?? Ehmm,are we still in recession guys ,or not?
Sorry but @ $6K this is way outtaline! YMMV
7th May 2009
Old 7th May 2009
Gear addict

Quote:
Ok...maybe the word interface is a bit inappropriate. For that price it should outperform evrything, right?
Well, at least everything up to $6K. Fair enough.

Look at the 2882 and ULN2. Both are worth every penny of their price tag, and unlike most digital hardware, they barely depreciate (I just sold an extra 2882 +DSP for it's original price, though it had 2D upgrade that wasn't originally available). By contrast, Digi interfaces depreciate nearly as fast as cars. Given MH's history and reputation, there's no reason to expect it not to outperform everything in it's price class, just like it's older siblings.

So, just wait until tomorrow...

-d-
7th May 2009
Old 7th May 2009
Lives for gear

$6,000 - ML has identified their target market - aimed high. People aren't thinking out of the box yet - and ML may have done themselves a disservice if they do not shift the paradigm here.

Don't think Motu, Ensemble - that is not what this appears to be at all.
It's a damn Matrix with Millenia pre's and Mytek converters in a single rack.

The guys and gals this is clearly aimed at will be early adopters. Then a whole new market segment will shift over. Now if they build a "lite" version of this, it might blow a hole in the market ....one to watch, no doubt.....
My $.02
7th May 2009
Old 7th May 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsvisser View Post
Of course, there are budget machines that are either lower priced or outperform the Apple machines at the same price or slightly lower price, but to say that you can find a machine at half the cost that outperforms a Mac is simply not true, when making fair comparisons based upon the outfit of the machines in question.
While probably not HALF, it is so true that PCs are much less. Just go to New Egg and start putting a PC together with the same components as a Mac or for that matter any Pro Audio PC builder. But if you shop with a Pro Audio PC builder, the PC desktop will ALWAYS be much cheaper than a Mac Pro with similar components. Apple laptops are simply overpriced, although much more stylish.

I've said it before: Metric Halo really loses a ton of money not programming drivers for PC*. And they seemed to drop the branding ball when they named this thing ULN-8, where already in this thread people are assuming it's the same as the ULN-2 with more pre's and more confusing plugs (to some) in the back. That could cost them sales too.

$6K is a lot of money but the price does not surprise me considering who its being sold by and targeted at. Now will enough people want to fork over $6K and expect more I/O and more "stuff" than what fits into a single rack unit?

I'd spend it if I had it to burn.

*And what about this new massive change to Leopard right around the corner? Why not include Windows 7 in there?
7th May 2009
Old 7th May 2009
Lives for gear

Bottom line, this is a professional product and priced accordingly. It is aimed at real professionals and well-heeled hobbyists. Most people who buy this will not want to be haphazardly directly patching it to something different every day; they'll want it as part of a well designed mobile rig and/or all wired up to their patchbay. That being the case, D-subs probably end up saving folks money, and it's a lot easier to manage a few snakes than a few dozen individual cables.

JSL
7th May 2009
Old 7th May 2009
Lives for gear

So if the AD/DA (and maybe the pres?) represent a huge improvement over the 2882/ULN-2 is there a chance of an updated ULN-2 with the same specs as the ULN-8? 2 in 4 out is perfect for my needs..
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search