Digidesign Reel Tape Suite
New Reply
Subscribe
Stiff
13th April 2007
Old 13th April 2007
Lives for gear

Digidesign Reel Tape Suite

Looks like it's here... Some say they can't see it on the website though. I logged on the swedish Digi website and found it there with download links and a link to the Digistore, it wasn't available as boxed version but the download version seems to be there.
13th April 2007
Old 13th April 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via Skype™ to lozion
Yeah, I just downloaded them but cant seem to be able to demo theses puppies...
I cant find I-Lok auth, Oh well...
14th April 2007
Old 14th April 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to jdjustice
i was able to download and authorize a 14-day trial of just the Reel Tape Saturation, not the whole suite, and i have been putting it through its paces....

fwiw i think this is a pretty cool plugin.
it sounds quite different from and seems to do a different thing than McDSP's Analog Channel, which i am a fan of.

the only thing i don't *love* about it is the GUI, which could have been designed better imo, although i get that they are going for the retro thing with the interface as well...
i am looking forward to using the Reel Tape Flanger and Reel Tape Delay and seeing if those products are worth the additional $200 USD (for the whole suite).

~j.d.
15th April 2007
Old 15th April 2007
Lives for gear

So you found a trial? I guess I have to try it again then, I heard the trial would be up next week. Well, well...
15th April 2007
Old 15th April 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiff View Post
So you found a trial? I guess I have to try it again then, I heard the trial would be up next week. Well, well...
there is just a trial for the Reel Tape Saturation, not for the whole Reel Tape Suite (as of now):
http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?...00&itemid=5046

for awhile there was a link for the trial of the whole suite, but when i clicked it i got a ColdFusion error message and subsequently Digi took it down.
15th April 2007
Old 15th April 2007
Lives for gear

yeah I just saw this up this afternoon and I think i'l wait til you can demo all 3 at once since its been a hassle with licenses and digi but i'm hoping the tape flanging will be really cool and be able to pull off some of the dave matthews or chili peppers flange effects they have on their albums.

Hoping to get some comparisons up against some of the other ones such as analog channel and phoenix.

then again i was considering dumping LE for cubase.....
17th April 2007
Old 17th April 2007
Gear maniac

Heard and toyed with all 3 at NAMM. Liked it, but then again I was on headphones...

Want to try it out in a studio environment. Can't wait for some more reviews.
17th April 2007
Old 17th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Heard and toyed with all 3 at NAMM. Liked it, but then again I was on headphones...

Want to try it out in a studio environment. Can't wait for some more reviews.
Really? I spent a while looking around digi's booth and didn't see this nor heard anyone talk about it. Then again i spent more time with their Profile live console and a little bit of time annoying their guys asking about a possible 003
17th April 2007
Old 17th April 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykeBack View Post
Really? I spent a while looking around digi's booth and didn't see this nor heard anyone talk about it. Then again i spent more time with their Profile live console and a little bit of time annoying their guys asking about a possible 003
Yeah, it was on all of the LE rigs. There was a guy in front of me listening to them...saw them on the screen so I waited in line to get a listen too.
Stiff
17th April 2007
Old 17th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykeBack View Post
Hoping to get some comparisons up against some of the other ones such as analog channel and phoenix.
If it's possible I'll run a comparing review with these vs other tape plug-ins on protoolerblog.com
17th April 2007
Old 17th April 2007
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
If it's possible I'll run a comparing review with these vs other tape plug-ins on protoolerblog.com
I'd be interested hearing how Reel Tape stacks up against DUY DaD Tape which I think sounds amazing.

http://www.doorknocker.ch/
Stiff
17th April 2007
Old 17th April 2007
Lives for gear

Yeah... I'll let you guys know if I can pull it off.
22nd April 2007
Old 22nd April 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

22nd April 2007
Old 22nd April 2007
Lives for gear

maybe i'm ******** but i dont' see the actual "demo". I see a link to buy and a link to rent but thats about it. the demo for just the tape saturation disappeared as well the other day.
22nd April 2007
Old 22nd April 2007
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

click on the 'download' tab and there should be a link that says 'Activate Now' for activation of your iLok.
then download the software in whatever version you need.
23rd April 2007
Old 23rd April 2007
Lives for gear

oh i completely missed that. I don't want to use this until i've got some big mixes to do which won't be for a couple weeks so i look forward to hearing other peoples opinions on it.
23rd April 2007
Old 23rd April 2007
Lives for gear

StrykeBack

Word of advice: don't run demos while you've got important work going on and can't afford any downtime.

I know I sound like the ol' man, still.....

ruudman

Noma Children Hospital Sokoto
25th April 2007
Old 25th April 2007
Gear Head

REEL TAPE SUITE DEMO

I just tried the demo. Digi Tape saturation is different from the Massey (Which has more low mid girth)or the McDSP which sounds "dryer" or with less high-harmonic generation. It reminds me more of what tape did in the days I used it which was to warm, glue, sweeten with smooth highs, give a more "film quality" to use a video example.
Instantly sounds more like an album on 2 buss. Vocals sound more in-place and somehow bigger. AC GTR's sweeter when under-biasing plug. Also, Flanger is most natural I've heard and like the Delay but don't own Soundtoys or other reigning favs to know that end.
I've already ordered it. For fun, Put Saturation on drum loops or bus and 2-bus. Gives a vibe like Stylus RMX.
25th April 2007
Old 25th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWow View Post
I just tried the demo. Digi Tape saturation is different from the Massey (Which has more low mid girth)or the McDSP which sounds "dryer" or with less high-harmonic generation. It reminds me more of what tape did in the days I used it which was to warm, glue, sweeten with smooth highs, give a more "film quality" to use a video example.
Instantly sounds more like an album on 2 buss. Vocals sound more in-place and somehow bigger. AC GTR's sweeter when under-biasing plug. Also, Flanger is most natural I've heard and like the Delay but don't own Soundtoys or other reigning favs to know that end.
I've already ordered it. For fun, Put Saturation on drum loops or bus and 2-bus. Gives a vibe like Stylus RMX.
Thanks for the info , i think i will have to give the demo a shot, have you ever used the phoenix or the dad tape? i wonder how it compares?
25th April 2007
Old 25th April 2007
Gear addict

I just got the demo working before I had to leave the studio to rush home. But in the ten minutes I played around it seemed to sound very cool indeed.
Actually, I'm pleased I don't have a booking so I get to check this tomorrow.

Maybe I'll go crazy and post some examples!

Cheers, Julian
25th April 2007
Old 25th April 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianBrightnes View Post
Maybe I'll go crazy and post some examples!
this is what you're supposed to do!
26th April 2007
Old 26th April 2007
Gear Head

Thanks for the info , i think i will have to give the demo a shot, have you ever used the phoenix or the dad tape? i wonder how it compares?

Yeah, I have Pheonix and like it a lot. It doesn't have the same effect for me.
Pheonix is more a warmer/thickener but REEL TAPE SATURATION seems closer to tape and has a similar dynamic response as tape. Pheonix never struck me as adding any compression or saturation but great color.
I once demoed dad tape and only remember thinking McDSP was close enough. Even Charles Dye reported in an interview about his "Mix it Like a Record" DVD that the McDSP AC2 settings he substitutes for the other mixes that use dad tape sounded identical though McDSP had to be driven harder to match it.
I like REEL TAPE SATURATION better....
26th April 2007
Old 26th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundWow View Post
Yeah, I have Pheonix and like it a lot. It doesn't have the same effect for me.Pheonix is more a warmer/thickener but REEL TAPE SATURATION seems closer to tape and has a similar dynamic response as tape. Pheonix never struck me as adding any compression or saturation but great color.
I once demoed dad tape and only remember thinking McDSP was close enough. Even Charles Dye reported in an interview about his "Mix it Like a Record" DVD that the McDSP AC2 settings he substitutes for the other mixes that use dad tape sounded identical though McDSP had to be driven harder to match it.
I like REEL TAPE SATURATION better....
Awesome thanks alot for the reply
26th April 2007
Old 26th April 2007
Gear addict

...well my day got busy anyway, so no time for A/B testing and stuff...
but I did use the demo during the day in my workflow.
I have been after a nice tape emulation plugin or maybe even a hardware unit like the portico tape-box.
I must say this is the plugin I like best so far. For me the Tape-Head is too 'lofi', and Cranesong is maybe too subtile for me, even though I seem to like it.
For what it's worth: I think this is the plug I'll buy.
Also the flanger is great and the delay is lovely as well. Love the ADT-setting.

Cheers, Julian
Stiff
27th April 2007
Old 27th April 2007
Lives for gear

I will post a review of it soon but can say right now it sounds REALLY good. I'd def go for the entire suite, you don't want to miss out on the flanger.
Stiff
30th April 2007
Old 30th April 2007
Lives for gear

30th April 2007
Old 30th April 2007
Lives for gear

nice review thank!s how about some sound examples
Stiff
1st May 2007
Old 1st May 2007
Lives for gear

I was thinking about that but didn't have the time! I might put it up later today along with a highlight on a few other tape emulators.
1st May 2007
Old 1st May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I was thinking about that but didn't have the time! I might put it up later today along with a highlight on a few other tape emulators.
sounds awesome, thanks again for you're time
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search