New Reply
Subscribe
oceantracks
28th November 2013
Old 28th November 2013
Lives for gear

Using VCAs in Mixing

Any VCA experts out there?

I'm trying to get a handle on these, and am wondering how you handle AUX tracks.

So if you have 16 background vocals going to an AUX, then a send and some compression on that AUX, when you create a VCA of all the vocal tracks, should the AUX be included in the Background vocal VCA?

I mean it seems a VCA (or an AUX) is going to change the amount of compression if you lower the vocals either at the VCA or the AUX so I'm not sure what difference it makes including, or not including, the AUX.

Thoughts?

THX
28th November 2013
Old 28th November 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantracks View Post
Any VCA experts out there?

I'm trying to get a handle on these, and am wondering how you handle AUX tracks.

So if you have 16 background vocals going to an AUX, then a send and some compression on that AUX, when you create a VCA of all the vocal tracks, should the AUX be included in the Background vocal VCA?

I mean it seems a VCA (or an AUX) is going to change the amount of compression if you lower the vocals either at the VCA or the AUX so I'm not sure what difference it makes including, or not including, the AUX.

Thoughts?

THX
I rarely use VCA, btw they are "Voltage Controlled Amplifier".
When you use a VCA it acts on the output gain of the selected tracks.

In ProTools it acts like a Mix Group with the difference that the VCA can trim down/up all the tracks leaving automations done before in individual tracks intact.

In your example I'll feed the aux with the backing vocals with the balance I need, then perform compression and then set the level for the bg vocals in the mix using the aux fader, with no use of the VCA.

I normally use VCA at the end of the mix to give +/- 1dB on some part of the song for already automated tracks.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search