Reason 7 not showing in Pro Tools 11
DanielPapak
3rd September 2013
Old 3rd September 2013
Gear interested

Reason 7 not showing in Pro Tools 11

Hi guys. Long time reader but I've just signed up now to post for the first time because I can't for the life of me find an answer to this on either these forums or indeed the entire net.

I am running both Pro Tool 11 and Reason 7 on Mac OS X. Both work flawlessly as standalone applications in 64 bit yet when I try to rewire them I get no love.

I create a strereo Aux channel (or instrument channel) in Pro Tools, then go Inserts > Multi-Channel Plugins > Instrument, the only thing that shows is Waves Rewire, no Reason.

I've reinstalled both programs fresh so I'm really at a loss. If I manually open Reason while Pro Tools 11 is open I don't get any sound and can't press play as it recognises that it's in Rewire mode but it's obviously not working and I can't control it from PT because there is no actual Rewire option.

Any clues at all would be amazing. I've tried holding down shift when starting PT as I read that it forces the system to rescan for plugins but absolutely nothing happens when I hold down shift.

Thanks in advance!
3rd September 2013
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Rewire only works on 32 bit version of reason.
DanielPapak
3rd September 2013
Old 3rd September 2013
Gear interested

You sure? I triple checked that before purchasing...

From the Propellerhead FAQ

Reason 7 FAQ - Propellerhead

Q: Is ReWire 64-bit too?
A: Just as the current versions of Reason and Reason Essentials, ReWire is 64-bit too. Note that 64-bit ReWire needs to be implemented in both the slave application (Reason, Reason Essentials) and your host. Please contact the manufacturer of your ReWire host of choice for compatibility information.
DanielPapak
3rd September 2013
Old 3rd September 2013
Gear interested

As an update. I have seen this workaround:

The problem I had with Reason 7 not showing up in Pro Tools 11 was solved by simply deleting the "InstalledAAXPlugIns" file.

On OS X, that file is located here:

<your user>/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools

Once I deleted that file, and then launched Pro Tools 11 again, Pro Tools did a full rescan of all the installed plugins and then it finally saw that Reason 7 was installed. It seems to be a bug in Pro Tools 11 regarding the use of Rewire.

Unfortunately for me, in preferences there is no folder called Avid.

If I use spotlight to search for the file ("InstalledAAXPlugIns") that needs to be deleted, nothing shows up either.
3rd September 2013
Old 3rd September 2013
Lives for gear

Ah cool they fixed that. My bad. Im still on 6
DanielPapak
3rd September 2013
Old 3rd September 2013
Gear interested

Hmmm just got home from work, installed both on my Win8 PC and they work flawless.

Looks like I might just have to reformat the Mac which should be fun considering I'm such a dunce with Macs. If anyone does have any tips though as far as deleting that elusive file I'd love to hear still!
10th September 2013
Old 10th September 2013
Gear interested

Music computers are likely nice and entertainer
30th November 2013
Old 30th November 2013
Gear Head

Just wanted to chime in and confirm that this worked for me. In my case, Reason 6.5 with PT11 - Mac OS 10.8.5. Had to Google the procedure to show the hidden user library folder (one line of code in Terminal) but after trashing the "InstalledAAXPlugIns" file and restarting PT11 the Reason ReWire plug-in appeared.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielPapak View Post
As an update. I have seen this workaround:

The problem I had with Reason 7 not showing up in Pro Tools 11 was solved by simply deleting the "InstalledAAXPlugIns" file.

On OS X, that file is located here:

<your user>/Library/Preferences/Avid/Pro Tools

Once I deleted that file, and then launched Pro Tools 11 again, Pro Tools did a full rescan of all the installed plugins and then it finally saw that Reason 7 was installed. It seems to be a bug in Pro Tools 11 regarding the use of Rewire.

Unfortunately for me, in preferences there is no folder called Avid.

If I use spotlight to search for the file ("InstalledAAXPlugIns") that needs to be deleted, nothing shows up either.

Last edited by Loud Neighbor; 30th November 2013 at 02:52 PM.. Reason: typo
27th April 2014
Old 27th April 2014
Gear Head

Location of file changed in OS Mavericks

Hello. I am tying to apply this same fix in OS Mavericks. When i follow users - library - preferences - avid - there is NO 'InstalledAAX...' file.

The location must be different now...please update.
27th April 2014
Old 27th April 2014
Gear Head

ReWire not there in OSX Mavericks w/ Reason 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovrCheeze View Post
Hello. I am tying to apply this same fix in OS Mavericks. When i follow users - library - preferences - avid - there is NO 'InstalledAAX...' file.

The location must be different now...please update.
I am having this same problem. Have newest version of Reason 7. About to update to newest version of Pro Tools 10 and 11. Will test again after install but i dont have high hopes. Have talked to reason but they are saying they havent heard of this problem...only i have seen it all over the internet!

We have no difinitive answer other than the "find 'installedAAX' file and delete", which as quoted above is no longer in the same place in Mac OS Mavericks

Please bump until we get a difinitive solution!

0J
27th April 2014
Old 27th April 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by GovrCheeze View Post
I am having this same problem. Have newest version of Reason 7. About to update to newest version of Pro Tools 10 and 11. Will test again after install but i dont have high hopes. Have talked to reason but they are saying they havent heard of this problem...only i have seen it all over the internet!

We have no difinitive answer other than the "find 'installedAAX' file and delete", which as quoted above is no longer in the same place in Mac OS Mavericks

Please bump until we get a difinitive solution!

0J
Try Finder > Applications > Avid > Protools.... it should be in there
2nd May 2014
Old 2nd May 2014
Gear interested

Hi gearslutz FAM I have a question for Mac users running pro tools 11 and reason 7.
How do you manually rewire pro tools with reason it use to be automatic when you create a rewire track and in insert go to instrument choose reason and you would be on and popping but now can't seem to get it to work like that anymore and I don't know how to manually rewire. Please FAM I need your help with this Thanks
3rd May 2014
Old 3rd May 2014
Rewire 7 and PT11.1.2 are working great for me on a mac mini running 10.9.1

Bigalsmuzik , please explain your problem more. What exactly doesn't work?
Do you get midi signal to reason? Is reason not rewiring and synced to pro tools playback? Is there no audio showing in pro tools but reason rewires syncs and show signal?

One annoying hiccup I had was the rewire output in pro tools had to be manually set to outputs 1/2 in pro tools or I did not get sound. I don't remember having to do that in version 10, it would just default to the correct output and playback when I inserted rewire.
4th May 2014
Old 4th May 2014
Gear interested

Reason 7 and pro tools 11 both function fine in stand alone mode the problem comes in when I try to slave reason7 with pro tools 11, pro tools will launch reason 7 it just won't slave it so when I press play in pro tools it does not play the reason tracks,(no sound) and I do not know how to hook it up manually to get the sound from reason 7 to record in pro tools. In other words I,m trying to track my song out of reason 7 in to pro tools 11 so a can mix it down. So if you know how to do it manually could you please tell me step by step and where the hell is pitch shift in pro tools 11 it's one of my favorite plugins.
4th May 2014
Old 4th May 2014
I presume you have the aax rewire plugin, have checked reason is running in 64 bit, and have switched the outputs on the rewire plugin to pro tools 1/2 outs? I have a feeling your running reason in 32 bit mode. On a mac right click on the reason app icon and get info. Make sure the "Open in 32-bit mode" button is not checked off.

Sounds like pro tools is opening reason when you insert a the rewire plugin. I would read the link below and double check your setting are correct.

Propellerhead - ReWire Help - ProTools step 1
5th May 2014
Old 5th May 2014
Gear interested

Let me start off by saying thanks for your help. I've done everything you've suggested making sure pro tool and reason are in 64bit mode
And they are I've even tried removing the installed axx in my library in the avid folder and when I delete it and restart pro tools it's there again for some strange reason just can't get it to stay gone like its a bug. I,m a newbie when it comes to pro tools so I don't fully understand when you say check and make sure the the 1/2 out are switched. Please walk me thru that procedure so I can make sure that's not my problem. I really need to get rewire to function. I do all my beats in reason 7 and the track them out into pro tools 11. I also noticed that pro tools 11 just shuts down on its own in the middle of a session strange indeed. I guess avid really needs to release a update to deal with some of these issues. Thanks

Last edited by Bigalsmuzik; 5th May 2014 at 09:17 AM.. Reason: Miss spelled word
2 Weeks Ago
Old 2 Weeks Ago
Gear interested

how to access user library in Mac OS 10.9

I had to delete the InstalledAAXPlugins file and restart ProTools to find the Reason plugin file.

to see files in your user library:
1) make sure you are in the Finder
2) hold down the Option key either before or after you click on the Go menu.
3) you should now see an item in the list called "Library", this is your user library.
4) if you select Library, you can then navigate to Library>Preferences>Avid>Pro Tools where you will find the InstalledAAXPlugins file.
5) delete this file. The next time you start Pro Tools, it will rescan for Plugins, find the Reason plugin, and create a new InstalledAAXPlugins file
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search