Login / Register

What should i get pt hd 11 or regular pt 11?
New Reply
Subscribe
Mystic Muse
6th July 2013
Old 6th July 2013
Gear nut

What should i get pt hd 11 or regular pt 11?

I want to get an Antelope Orion but if I want to stick with HD 11, I'd have to get an SSL Delta Link connect that to my HD Native Card.

BIG QUESTION - but note first : i do NOT need IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM more than 12 tracks to a session EVER.

SHOULD I GET PRO TOOLS HD 11 OR SHOULD I GET REGULAR PT 11?

i really sorta don't see that much of a difference but I need some advice on this matter. If HD is the way to go I'd have to get a Delta link MADI interface to connect to my HD Native PCIe Card. However if I GO WITH REGULAR PT 11, I can SELL ALL MY STUPID AVID HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE LICENSES (including PT HD 8,9,10) and get an ANTELOPE ORION WITH AN RME MADI PCIe Card and run regular PT 11. I do have an Avid 16x16 I/O but I suppose its not what I need nor want. The ORION just fits the bill for me with I/Os great word clock, amazing converters, and USB/MADI connectivity. But The question is if I go HD I need a DELTA LINK from SSL.

Please feel free to PM Me I REALLY NEED HELP HERE!
6th July 2013
Old 6th July 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
For that few tracks - regular PT11, HD is vastly overspecced for what you want.

Unless you need the low latency tracking advantages.

PS please stop shouting IT'S NOT NECESSARY!

If I've ever helped you with a technical problem or provided you with advice you found useful, you can more than repay me by checking out, and maybe buying a couple of songs, by a singer I'm working closely with. It would be much appreciated!

http://itunes.apple.com/gb/preorder/...an/id513648911

http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Robert-Ha...robert+hardman

</Shameless Plug>
Mystic Muse
6th July 2013
Old 6th July 2013
Gear nut

WHAT WHAT ?? WHAT?oh its you psycho monkey okay its fine just going nuts over what to do what not to do should i buy this should i sell that? me thinks the retailers sold me a "bill of goods" and for you kiddos out there it means i was screwed over. anyway i'm trying to find unique ways of setting my hopefully new studio up

i.e. antelope orion > RME MADI PCIe card > pt 11

instead of

avid i/o > hd native > pt hd 11

but much obliged for your comments there sir quite nifty of you.
9th July 2013
Old 9th July 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
I want to get an Antelope Orion but if I want to stick with HD 11, I'd have to get an SSL Delta Link connect that to my HD Native Card.

BIG QUESTION - but note first : i do NOT need IN ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM more than 12 tracks to a session EVER.
Why do you want to buy an Orion if you don't need 32 I/O ?
You can keep the HD licence and sell the hardware to have the software functions of HD.
10th July 2013
Old 10th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
WHAT WHAT ?? WHAT?oh its you psycho monkey okay its fine just going nuts over what to do what not to do should i buy this should i sell that? me thinks the retailers sold me a "bill of goods" and for you kiddos out there it means i was screwed over. anyway i'm trying to find unique ways of setting my hopefully new studio up

i.e. antelope orion > RME MADI PCIe card > pt 11

instead of

avid i/o > hd native > pt hd 11

but much obliged for your comments there sir quite nifty of you.
There are a lot of nice folks around here psycho monkey is certainly one of them.
14th July 2013
Old 14th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

SHOULD I GET PRO TOOLS HD 11 OR SHOULD I GET REGULAR PT 11?

i really sorta don't see that much of a difference but I need some advice on this matter. If HD is the way to go I'd have to get a Delta link MADI interface to connect to my HD Native PCIe Card. However if I GO WITH REGULAR PT 11, I can SELL ALL MY STUPID AVID HARDWARE AND SOFTWARE LICENSES (including PT HD 8,9,10) and get an ANTELOPE ORION WITH AN RME MADI PCIe Card and run regular PT 11. I do have an Avid 16x16 I/O but I suppose its not what I need nor want. The ORION just fits the bill for me with I/Os great word clock, amazing converters, and USB/MADI connectivity. But The question is if I go HD I need a DELTA LINK from SSL.

Please feel free to PM Me I REALLY NEED HELP HERE!
Hey,

Wait I think I know you from some place... LOL.

I would do this if I was you:

Get the orion and either an rme madi card, and sell the protools licenses with the avid I/O. The go get the standard native version of protools. Your upgrades will be much cheaper.

By the way I just ordered an orion and will be using it with the SSL madiXtreme card (they can be had used for less than 1k). I will be using it without the HD version of protools.

Jim
14th July 2013
Old 14th July 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridgman View Post
By the way I just ordered an orion and will be using it with the SSL madiXtreme card (they can be had used for less than 1k). I will be using it without the HD version of protools.
Used? They're less than $1,000 brand new - the 64-ch version, anyway, which is all you need for the Orion.

Solid State Logic MADI Xtreme 64 | Sweetwater.com

I have this one and it works great with PT.
14th July 2013
Old 14th July 2013
Gear nut

So I too am looking at the Antelope Audio Orion 32, and I will be using all the I/O. My question is why is everyone using a MADI pcie card instead of using the USB port? I know USB has a bad rep, but from their marketing material is appears they are using custom USB controllers, and the few reviews I've seen of it say that it works great with low latency and high track count over USB. So what's the advantage to the extra card?

Shawn Eib, Owner
Sounds Like Audio, LLC
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeffers View Post
Used? They're less than $1,000 brand new - the 64-ch version, anyway, which is all you need for the Orion.

Solid State Logic MADI Xtreme 64 | Sweetwater.com

I have this one and it works great with PT.
Yes they are only like 800 or so new and used they are like 400-600.... The comment was because the OP was looking at the rme hdspe madi card which is like 1800 new.
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by darbyclash34 View Post
So I too am looking at the Antelope Audio Orion 32, and I will be using all the I/O. My question is why is everyone using a MADI pcie card instead of using the USB port? I know USB has a bad rep, but from their marketing material is appears they are using custom USB controllers, and the few reviews I've seen of it say that it works great with low latency and high track count over USB. So what's the advantage to the extra card?
It all depends on if you are using a mac or a PC.

If you use a mac, you will most likely want a MADI card as your interface to the computer, because mac's core audio drivers with usb, suck... and it has been documented all over the place that the antelope drives for anything above 48k are giving people issues and headaches. But that is really mostly for mac users. I have read people on the windows platform, are not having as much of an issue as the mac users are.
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbridgman View Post
It all depends on if you are using a mac or a PC.

If you use a mac, you will most likely want a MADI card as your interface to the computer, because mac's core audio drivers with usb, suck... and it has been documented all over the place that the antelope drives for anything about 48k are giving people issues and headaches. But that is really mostly for mac users. I have read people on the windows platform, are not having as much issues as the mac users.
I don't know about that, I've never ever had an issue with core audio over USB on Mac.

But then I've not tried to do 32 io over it either. And at 96k, that's a big ask.
15th July 2013
Old 15th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
I don't know about that, I've never ever had an issue with core audio over USB on Mac.

But then I've not tried to do 32 io over it either. And at 96k, that's a big ask.
Right, and that is why/where the MADI cards come into play here.

I had found that most anything over 24 channels be it on firewire or USB on the mac core audio has issues, not that everyone is/will, but that is what I have seen, and some of the comments about the orion seem to line up with that, when you get over 48K.

Jim
16th July 2013
Old 16th July 2013
Gear nut

Well, I'm running a hackintosh with 10.8 and windows 7 boot drives, so I guess when I get it I'll so some tests on both OSes and see. And I guess add a MADI card to the studio build budget I'm working up.
10th November 2013
Old 10th November 2013
Gear interested

Any updates on this?? Thinking about grabbing an orion USB into my macmini server for my home rig which is a mac mini server late 2012 i7processor (llots 500 series outboard and suming). Pro tools 10. Will this work for. No more than 6 channels ever. Recorded live but all 32 for mixing. Please any insight would be great.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search