Pro Tools 11|HD
New Reply
Subscribe
jonesd90
24th June 2013
Old 24th June 2013
Gear Head

Pro Tools 11|HD

Hi guys, apologies if this info is easily found on the Avid website but I haven't been able to see an exact answer to this question!

Basically I currently use a Liquid Saffire for recording coupled with 2 x RME AD/DA ADAT units with a bunch of external pres.

I have found this system to be faultless on PT9 and more recently PT10.

However, I'm looking to expand my capability of mixing in 5.1 and so I was wandering whether this is now possible in PT11 as I have heard that the CPTK no longer exists?

Also, if I were to go down the HD route to expand to 5.1 & 7.1 mixing can I continue to use my focusrite interface or do I need an Avid one?

I think I read somewhere that to buy PT|HD you MUST buy HD hardware at the same time (e.g. you only get software if its the bundled stuff you get with the HD interfaces?

Could somebody just clear these issues up if possible??

Thanks, Dave
25th June 2013
Old 25th June 2013
Lives for gear

You do need HD software to get surround capability, and officially it is only sold as part of an HD hardware system. But there are some places on Ebay that sell the HD software by itself, not sanctioned by Avid (they may be buying HD systems and splitting up the package).

Either way, the HD software will also work with 3rd party interfaces, such as your Focusrite.
jonesd90
25th June 2013
Old 25th June 2013
Gear Head

Great!

Thanks for the info.
25th June 2013
Old 25th June 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
You do need HD software to get surround capability, and officially it is only sold as part of an HD hardware system. But there are some places on Ebay that sell the HD software by itself, not sanctioned by Avid (they may be buying HD systems and splitting up the package).

Either way, the HD software will also work with 3rd party interfaces, such as your Focusrite.
I'm not sure if it works that way. I think you need a HD Native card in your computer to be possible to run HD. When I start Pro Tools HD without it, it doesn't work with the error message that it can't find a HD interface.
25th June 2013
Old 25th June 2013
Gear maniac

To throw my hat into the ring here, IMO, it DOES work that way. I purchased an HD9 license a while back, which I used natively with my Metric Halo rig. A few weeks ago I purchased the upgrade to HD10, which as of this weekend netted me a free copy off HD11 as well. All work great natively, with all the advanced options like surround, VCAs, advanced automation and advanced metering (HD 11.) If you can find someone selling the license you should be good. If you can find someone selling HD10 unactivated, upon activation you should also (I *think*) be able to get HD11 for free as well.

Good luck!
25th June 2013
Old 25th June 2013
Lives for gear

FakeonMercy,

Since Protools 9 came out, the HD software will work without the HD hardware.

This wasn't the case with versions earlier than 9, which may be what you're seeing if you still are on HD8, HD7, etc.

But HD9, HD10, and now HD11, all work without it, including a built in computer output, or any 3rd firewire/usb interface, just like the non-HD version of protools.
25th June 2013
Old 25th June 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeOnMercy View Post
I'm not sure if it works that way. I think you need a HD Native card in your computer to be possible to run HD. When I start Pro Tools HD without it, it doesn't work with the error message that it can't find a HD interface.
Incorrect.

OP - that forum titled "PT11" - what made you think that wasn't the correct place for this thread?

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel, and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Samantha Jade, Di-Rect (Dutch #1), etc
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search