HDX-2 on a current Mac Pro acting weird
mixerguy
8th July 2013
Old 8th July 2013
Lives for gear

Question HDX-2 on a current Mac Pro acting weird

I posted this question over on the DUC, but thought I would post it here too....

So I have been having some odd glitches with my HDX-2 rig for the past few months.

OS 10.7.5, PT 10.3.5, no VIs, few plugins, a very clean system. Preferences all trashed.
Problems were: more crashes than usual, and interfaces sometimes not being detected on launch of PT.
Sometimes PT sessions (even simple ones, with no plugins, and just one stereo audio track) would not play.
I tried various combinations of interfaces, and various DigiLink cables… and could not narrow it down to anything specific. No clear problem.

so I decided to upgrade to OS 10.8.4, and completely remove PT, then install the new 10.3.6

Then with using only one HD I/O 8x8x8 interface attached (on internal clock) - I created a brand new, empty PT session.
HDX as playback engine.
I used my usual playback settings of 512 voices, 12 processors used (out of 24) 6 GB ram cache (out of 24 GB) CPU limit of 85%, buffer of 512.

I could not play the timeline… even with nothing in the PT session.
When I would hit play, I got a solid blue stop, and flashing green play indication simultaneously.

If I selected * NO HDX * for playback , and just used the internal line out of the Mac Pro as playback engine - the empty PT session plays fine.

The weird thing is that with the same empty PT session (I saved it) … after a few times changing the Playback Engine back and forth between HDX, and no HDX…. then the same empty PT session would play back with HDX.

I then opened up a bigger session, and it played fine with HDX, for the short while I tried it.

I then opened a HUGE session, let it load into RAM, then played…. It played for about 15 seconds, then I got the error "Audio processing could not complete due to conflicts with other CPU tasks or a potential clocking issue. If this occurs often, verify your sync cables or try changing the HW Buffer Size setting in the Playback Engine dialog. In most cases, the larger HW buffer size will prevent the problem. (-9093)"

I've given up for the night.

any ideas?

I need to start a big mix project in a few days, and I'm quite worried!

and - should I run Digi Test? Will it be in "/Avid/Pro Tools/Pro Tools Utilities" (I thought i looked there the other day and didn't see it)

any other ideas as to what is next to fix my rig?

Thanks
8th July 2013
Old 8th July 2013
Gear maniac

I had problems with my HDN it couldn't play with 32 samples buffer size with my powerful MacPro.

Maybe that could help.,.,

Than I found that post in the duc forum.

-9129 error and HDX - Avid Pro Audio Community

1) Make sure "Wake for Ethernet Access" in Energy Saver Prefs are OFF
2) Start up in safe mode - (hold down shift while starting up) let Mac do its thing and restart as normal.

After this I could play a 20 min of audio without a problem! Normaly it would stop after 1-2 minutes.
mixerguy
8th July 2013
Old 8th July 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I had problems with my HDN it couldn't play with 32 samples buffer size with my powerful MacPro.

Maybe that could help.,.,

Than I found that post in the duc forum.

-9129 error and HDX - Avid Pro Audio Community

1) Make sure "Wake for Ethernet Access" in Energy Saver Prefs are OFF
2) Start up in safe mode - (hold down shift while starting up) let Mac do its thing and restart as normal.

After this I could play a 20 min of audio without a problem! Normaly it would stop after 1-2 minutes.
cool! Looks like some easy trouble shooting. Will do!
mixerguy
8th July 2013
Old 8th July 2013
Lives for gear

So this morning I woke in Safe Mode, then restarted normally after that….*
and
Turns out that somehow (not sure when, or why) my "Wake for Network (Ethernet)" was selected….. so I un-selected that.

Well I then loaded up a HUGE mix session, let the 200+ audio tracks load into RAM, made sure peak hold was on 'infinite' ….. then hit loop, and went away for 90 minutes… to return to find it still looping… happily. No weirdness at all. *Yay!

I'm still using just the one Avid HD i/o interface, so plenty more testing to do, and gotta make sure everything works with all of my interfaces hooked up…. but this is a big step forward from late last night when it wouldn't play audio!!!!!

Thanks much!

8th July 2013
Old 8th July 2013
Gear maniac

Happy that it helped!

I think there must be many people's out there with this kind of problem....
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search