New Reply
Subscribe
J. Fox
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Gear interested

HDX + Thunderbolt + Aggregate?

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible, but I haven't 100% proved it yet. So, is it possible to use a Sonnet or Magma chassis with HDX cards, connected to a Macbook Pro via Thunderbolt, Then open and mix a session with Pro-Tools Aggregate, no interface?

The problem is we need to mix in two different suites, but we only need to record in one. If its possible to use a 3rd party interface with the HDX/Thunderbolt chassis, then that would be better.

It just seems dumb to waste a couple grand on a Avid interface when all I need to do is mix and have stereo monitor outputs.

Thanks!
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Gear maniac

Sure, we do that regularly. On your mix system you can use any interface you'd like. The only drawback is if you purchase ProTools specifically for this, the "non-Avid-interface" version, you won't be able to use some of the HD-specific features, don't know if that's important. If you move your HD iLok back and forth you get the HD features.
Hugh
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Fox View Post
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible, but I haven't 100% proved it yet. So, is it possible to use a Sonnet or Magma chassis with HDX cards, connected to a Macbook Pro via Thunderbolt, Then open and mix a session with Pro-Tools Aggregate, no interface?

The problem is we need to mix in two different suites, but we only need to record in one. If its possible to use a 3rd party interface with the HDX/Thunderbolt chassis, then that would be better.

It just seems dumb to waste a couple grand on a Avid interface when all I need to do is mix and have stereo monitor outputs.

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HughH View Post
Sure, we do that regularly. On your mix system you can use any interface you'd like. The only drawback is if you purchase ProTools specifically for this, the "non-Avid-interface" version, you won't be able to use some of the HD-specific features, don't know if that's important. If you move your HD iLok back and forth you get the HD features.
Hugh
I'm not sure Hugh has grasped the issue (or maybe it's me that's misunderstanding). I also don't think the aggregate driver is something you need.

You can't use AAX DSP plugins without using the HDX card; and you can't use the HDX card without an interface attached.

What you CAN'T do is use AAX DSP plugins on HDX, and monitor through a coreaudio device (or indeed use the aggregate driver).

If, on the other hand, you're just looking to mix native, and just use the HDX for tracking - sure, totally possible. But it's nothing to do with aggregate drivers either; just use whatever interface you want, with the coreaudio driver for that interface. You lose all DSP plugins; using the same iLok you keep the HD specific features.

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel,
Edens March
and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Taylor Henderson (Aus #1 ARIA Album), Di-Rect (Dutch #1 single), etc
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Like stomachmonkey said, The Answer is YES, you can record whatever you want on the HDX rig in the first room,

And you can listen/mix/ etc. in the second room with your (aggregate, or Avid Core) choice of whatever you want. Even just the headphone output of the laptop if you want.

But, If you use AAX/DSP plugs in the first room they may not carry over to the second room where you may only have RTAS or AAX/Native plugs available. Everything else should be fine.

New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search