Disk Cache settings for a Long session?
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

Disk Cache settings for a Long session?

I'm doing a thing where I record a live show every night; about 32 tracks, about 2h15m long. I'm recording to a USB2 drive, sometimes a FW800 drive.

Does anyone have any suggestions about how to utilize the Disk Cache in a situation like this? I'm having a few problems during mix down about "DAE can't get audio from the drive fast enough." If I enable disk cache it works well, but since the session is 25GB the whole session won't load in of course, and when I get to a section that is not 'in' the disk cache I get the errors again.

I don't really think this is an issue with the speed of my drive because I can play the same session in DP8 all day long and not get a disk error. I'd like to keep it in PT10 though.

Any suggestions about disk cache settings that may be helpful? Should I not use it at all in this scenario?

Thanks for any input!
Old 8th February 2013
Gear addict

I use Disk Cache. Can you divide the session into sections/chunks? Seems like the only way to me. Good luck.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

I can play the sessions on a USB2 drive and get the 32 tracks to play back fine, but it shows disk activity at 80-90%. It works okay, but It is what it is, and it's not a happy place to be. ON a FW800 drive with the same session it will run 70-75% drive activity which is a little bit more reasonable, but i wonder if anyone has any disk cache ideas that will lower the stress. When I enable disk cache it is fantastic for the (amount of time that fills up the cache) but then it just blows up the hard drive like usual. In a 40GB session even a 5GB disk cache doesn't solve your problems.

Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Disk allocation was made to handle what you want to do here.

Easier to post a link then to type out a long post on my iPad

Multiple Disk Drives
Old 10th February 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks, I understand disk allocation. However, I'm just asking if anyone has any disk cache tips for a session thats so long there's no way it would load into ram.

I can play the session on my FW800 drive but I hate to see it sitting there spinning at 70% the whole time, and I'd prefer to keep this little laptop rig as small as possible, so I'd rather not hump out a bunch of drives.

thanks!
Old 10th February 2013
Lives for gear

I really dont think disk cache will help you here. You are pushing the hard drives to hard and they are choking and tossing errors and tools is stoping on you. If you even took 8 of those tracks and had them record to the internal drive on your laptop it could help. The only way to know for sure is to test it out. alternatively you could but some rackmounted hard drives and it would be easier to lug around as you would have them in a case.

EliteRAID ER104CT - 1U 4 Bay SATA to USB 2.0 / eSATA / 1394a / 1394b RAID 0/1/1+0/3/5 Rackmount

You would need a macpro with 96gig of ram and then allocate what you need for those sessions. However it still needs to push the data to the drives and I cant imagine that becomes slower so the drive will still be a bottleneck.

EDIT***
I just reread what you wrote and are you saying that your recording comes in fine but you have problems during the mix? This would be very strange as the disk cache keeps a 2:1 ratio forward to back of the play head cursor and is constantly streaming ahead as you move down the timeline. The only time this should be a problem is if your jumping around but even then it shouldnt. I would think if this is the case you have faulty equipment.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search