Login / Register

PT 10HD Native - disk cache - is this possible??
New Reply
Subscribe
saggsy
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012
Gear maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to saggsy
PT 10HD Native - disk cache - is this possible??

Looking to upgrade to PT HD Native Thunderbolt in the near future and was getting a bit confused about the disk cache feature.

I am also going to sell my 2008 MacPro and get a new Apple MBP. Initially i was thinking of the non-retina so as I could install a second HDD for audio sessions and great portability.

Now my main question - with disk cache, can I have protools record via disk cache to an external USB stick and use the second internal HDD dedicated to instrument samples? or do I still need a dedicated audio HDD?

The way i see it - if i am using disk cache then the audio is captured direct to the allocated space in my RAM and then 'drip fed' to the dedicated audio HDD, which could potentially be a USB stick.

Hope this makes enough sense and would appreciate replies from existing users who have experience using the disk cache feature.

Regards

Matt Saggs

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaneldon View Post
Someone COULD make a record with nothing but 421's...

But SHOULD someone make a record with nothing but 421's?

You COULD wear a t-shirt as pants by stepping into the arms, but that'd put your cock on display and 99 out of 100 people probably wouldn't want to be subjected to that.
29th December 2012
Old 29th December 2012

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by saggsy View Post
Looking to upgrade to PT HD Native Thunderbolt in the near future and was getting a bit confused about the disk cache feature.

I am also going to sell my 2008 MacPro and get a new Apple MBP. Initially i was thinking of the non-retina so as I could install a second HDD for audio sessions and great portability.

Now my main question - with disk cache, can I have protools record via disk cache to an external USB stick and use the second internal HDD dedicated to instrument samples? or do I still need a dedicated audio HDD?

The way i see it - if i am using disk cache then the audio is captured direct to the allocated space in my RAM and then 'drip fed' to the dedicated audio HDD, which could potentially be a USB stick.

Hope this makes enough sense and would appreciate replies from existing users who have experience using the disk cache feature.

Regards

Matt Saggs
No, it records to disk then buffers to ram. Otherwise you'd lose audio if you had a crash or something. Ram cache is for playback, recording happens as usual to disk.

Jack Robert Hardman (New EP now on sale), Morgan Joanel, and High-Tails.

If I've helped you out, please consider supporting these artists as a favour to me!

Major label credits include Pharrell/Alicia Keys, Ricky Martin (Aus #3), John Legend, Samantha Jade, Di-Rect (Dutch #1), etc
saggsy
30th December 2012
Old 30th December 2012
Gear maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to saggsy
Makes complete sense. Thanks for that.

Setup for 2013 looks like its going to be non-retina 15" MBP - bumped up to 7200rpm hdd and 16gb of ram from OWC - ssd in optical bay used as System drive (all this to replace 2008 8core MacPro).

Then HD Native Thunderbolt with OMNI and Artist Mix controller (to replace 003 console).

Currently have 23" Apple display hooked up to MacPro and expect to be able to use this for extended desktop - only problem being is its DVI.

How can I use this display and the Native Thunderbolt when the non-retina only has one TB/mini display port? Or should I sell the display as a package with the MacPro and just wait for the new Apple displays to be released?

Ultimately after a nice mobile rig which can easily be setup again in the studio for mixing - like everyone wants I guess!

Also gonna get the new Neumann KH310a 's when they come out early next year.

Phew, big spending year ahead!!

saggsy
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search