Hi fellow HDX users out there in case you're wondering should I go to 10.2 here's some info. I've also posted this on the DUC but as there seem to be some people here who aren't on there, I thought it might be useful to someone. So here's what I posted.
There seem to be big improvements in the DSP handling and plug in optimisations, in addition to the better fan control on the HDX card itself.
The card updates it's firmware and that takes about 5-8minutes. It worked faultlessly and the card now seems less annoying in the "noise from fan" department and I mean a lot of difference.
The firmware did take about4-8minutes to upload, but a big message appeared on screen before it did this saying that was going to happen. One of the improvements in 10.2 is listed as better fan control on the Avid site.
I had it running today and there's some nice temperatures in London 28c and my room isn't air conditioned and the fan noise was noticable in that there is a huge reduction even in these far from ideal temperature conditions.
Re the DSP allocation I did a quick test session just for fun so here's what I noticed.
At 44.1 24bit
Revibe II will now do 2 instances per chip up 1. (I wonder if they can get that to be even better ? 4 would be nice ! 2 is still only what you got on the old accel cards but still it's better that 1!)
Reverb One 5 instances per chip
D Verb 8 instances per chip
Its worth noting we have a new AAX DSP version amp sim now.
Sansamp 5 instances per chip 97%, but here's an interesting thing, when I added a mono EQ3 HDX slotted that onto the the remaining 3% of the sans amp chip and it changed into a plug in sharing chip.
Mod Delay III 6 instances per chip 91% (I'm pretty sure that's more than it was can anyone check on a 10.1 rig?) it also allowed me to add a stereo channel strip to the remainder of that chip i.e. more intelligent use of DSP really making sure chips get fully ustilized.
Just some other things I did for fun;
BF 76 39 instances per chip. I don't use it myself but that's a lot.
Channel Strip 29 instances per chip. Not bad for a very high quality gate/comp/eq with eq on the sidechain.
EQ3 7 Band 68 instances per chip. Way beyond what I used to get on my accel chips.
I also got a Facebook message from Sonnox in answer to a "where are the AAX DSP versions?" saying, now 10.2 is out they are beta testing and will be releasing their first EQ and Inflator plugs any week now. Now on my accel system that used just a bit more Accel DSP than the EQ3, but not much, so if the plug in optimization of Sonnox is anything like on the Avid EQ3 AAX DSP, that will be a lot of sonnox 7 bands per chip. (Fingers crossed!!)
I'm also wondering if any Softube users are seeing increases or maybe Softube could confirm if they are also improving optimization in a future release. So far they've released the biggest collection for AAX DSP by far and I know of a few early adopters who've taken the plunge with them because of it.
I get the feeling that allocation in general seems more efficient. I didn't make notes of "x" number of HEAT and "X" number of Channel strip but it might be higher on those too.
All tracks were mono except the FX plug ins which were in stereo FYI.
I haven't had a chance to see if it simply halves at 88.2/96khz but I would guess so, however, as the system is showing itself to be quite a lot different to HD that isn't a given.
When I get a chance I'll save session copy to 96K and find out.
So far so good.
I'm doing a 12 hour session 5.1 DVD project at the weekend so we'll see in a real session how this goes, but so far a very big