PT10 on Macbook Pro
Old 4th March 2012
Lives for gear

PT10 on Macbook Pro

Ok Logic user about to take the plunge, Mbox Pro + PT10 on a 2011 MBP 2.3ghz i5 4Gb Ram Snow Leopard...

i'll be tracking up to 8 channels with fx, heavy editing, mastering.. any tips on optimizing my laptop? best external FW HD? should i upgrade internal HD to SSD??
Old 8th March 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax View Post
Ok Logic user about to take the plunge, Mbox Pro + PT10 on a 2011 MBP 2.3ghz i5 4Gb Ram Snow Leopard...

i'll be tracking up to 8 channels with fx, heavy editing, mastering.. any tips on optimizing my laptop? best external FW HD? should i upgrade internal HD to SSD??
Upgrade to 8GB RAM. Even though it's only a 32bit app, PT10+OS X is the best part of 4GB. Definitely worth having the extra headroom. Since I upgraded my i7 to 8GB, PT10 is pretty much rock solid.

External HD - any good quality FireWire 800 external with a 7200rpm drive should be totally fine. Pro Tools is much less fussy about HD specifics than it used to be. Oh, but that said is the Mbox Pro FireWire? I know the Mbox 2 Pro was. Could complicate matters somewhat in terms of FW chain. This is why I got the 17" i7 - I'm using the Expresscard slot to give me two FW400 ports for my audio interface
Old 8th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant_chapman View Post
Upgrade to 8GB RAM. Even though it's only a 32bit app, PT10+OS X is the best part of 4GB. Definitely worth having the extra headroom. Since I upgraded my i7 to 8GB, PT10 is pretty much rock solid.

External HD - any good quality FireWire 800 external with a 7200rpm drive should be totally fine. Pro Tools is much less fussy about HD specifics than it used to be. Oh, but that said is the Mbox Pro FireWire? I know the Mbox 2 Pro was. Could complicate matters somewhat in terms of FW chain. This is why I got the 17" i7 - I'm using the Expresscard slot to give me two FW400 ports for my audio interface
yea 8GB RAM is going to be my first upgrade, i can currently only open 5 or 6 VIs at the most before i start getting errors, i'd like to get at least 8 with izotope on master..

I'm thinking of going with the OWC recommended drive as i've indeed had some problems with the FW chain with my current HD.. but yea one FW port is a drag, i'm pretty bummed its taking so long for viable thunderbolt hard drives to hit the market...
Old 10th March 2012
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Buy the HD Version! - The Ram Cache function in HD10 is 64 Bit so it will address as much RAM as in your machine. I can playback a 100+ tracks on my Macbook Pro off a slow 5400RPM USB drive!
You will not regret it!
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by passmore View Post
Buy the HD Version! - The Ram Cache function in HD10 is 64 Bit so it will address as much RAM as in your machine. I can playback a 100+ tracks on my Macbook Pro off a slow 5400RPM USB drive!
You will not regret it!
+1!
even my macbook air with 4GB ram and PT10HD works great, so 8 can only be better!
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by passmore View Post
Buy the HD Version! -
Is this even possible? I thought it can only be used with PT|HDX or PT|Native systems. no?
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

You can use HD10 without the hardware, and still have all non TDM/AAX processor related features (disk cache, VCA mixing, advanced editing, multitrack video, etc.).

The cheapest way to get it is purchase HD9 ($500-$600), and purchase the HD10 upgrade ($1000).

I use HD10 on my 2009 MBP 2-core 2.53gHz 8GB with an Mbox3, and can play back 24+ tracks, so you should be fine with your 2011.
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
You can use HD10 without the hardware, and still have all non TDM/AAX processor related features (disk cache, VCA mixing, advanced editing, multitrack video, etc.).

The cheapest way to get it is purchase HD9 ($500-$600), and purchase the HD10 upgrade ($1000).

I use HD10 on my 2009 MBP 2-core 2.53gHz 8GB with an Mbox3, and can play back 24+ tracks, so you should be fine with your 2011.
Cool,thanx.
I couldnt figure out how to get HD10. I guess thru the upgrade path will do.
Old 12th March 2012
Gear Head

I wouldn't buy HD for non-HD hardware. It's an unsupported configuration and Avid prices the ProTools HD software upgrades much higher than the regular ProTools software upgrades.

For example:

- upgrade to ProTools 10 from ProTools 9 is $299
Avid ProTools 10 (Upgrade from PT9) | Sweetwater.com

- upgrade to ProTools 10 HD from ProTools 9 HD is $999
Avid Pro Tools HD 10 (Upgrade from PTHD9) | Sweetwater.com

There is every indication that this pricing is "the new normal" at Avid.

There is a supported way to get all the features of ProTools 10 HD on your ProTools system - Avid sells an add-on called "Complete Production Toolkit" (CPTK) - it's just an extra iLok licence that enables features already existing in the software that they disable for everyone else. Avid charges $1999 for it but you can find them on eBay all the time for a lot less. There was no upgrade required to use the CPTK on ProTools 10 if you purchased it earlier.

Avid | Complete Production Toolkit

NEW PRO TOOLS COMPLETE PRODUCTION TOOLKIT 2 UNREGISTERED!! MSRP $1999!! | eBay

Here's a thread on the ProTools discussion board re: this issue

why should i buy pt10 HD vs pt10 CPTK? - Avid Audio Forums

Good luck.
Old 12th March 2012
Lives for gear

Dave brings up a good point about the upgrade price. I actually got PT10HD with my HD Native/Omni bundle, and ended up getting an Mbox2 to run it on my MBP as well.
Old 12th March 2012
Gear maniac
I just bought Pro Tools 10 today. Loaded it up on my Macbook Pro 2011. 2.2 Ghz i7 with 8 gigs of Ram. I still have a 5400 RPM HDD, but my goodness.

Today I ran 65 tracks with a few running vocal plug-ins @ 32ms Buffer. Not a single pop, click, or stutter.

I am sure when I add more, and really start mixing, i'll have to raise it.......maybe not....hopefully not.

:D
Old 16th March 2012
Gear interested

Can anyone tell me how they feel about the sound quality of their Mbox Pro 3 + PT10 combo, compared to what you have used before? How is the recording quality through the I/O and the AD?

Im interested in this unit because it seems to integrate well with PT but Im not sure if the AD/DA conversion quality will satisfy me. Im mostly recording external gear and plan to bypass the pres. Currently using Logic with Duet.
Old 17th March 2012
Gear maniac
Right now I am using a Mbox 3 because my Motu is being repaired. I don't like it....at all.
Old 16th June 2012
Gear nut

I am very much impressed with the quality of the a/d d/a conversion of the mbox pro, -given the price-
Old 18th June 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by davelang68 View Post
I wouldn't buy HD for non-HD hardware. It's an unsupported configuration and Avid prices the ProTools HD software upgrades much higher than the regular ProTools software upgrades.

For example:

There is a supported way to get all the features of ProTools 10 HD on your ProTools system - Avid sells an add-on called "Complete Production Toolkit" (CPTK) - it's just an extra iLok licence that enables features already existing in the software that they disable for everyone else. Avid charges $1999 for it but you can find them on eBay all the time for a lot less. There was no upgrade required to use the CPTK on ProTools 10 if you purchased it earlier.

Good luck.
You're paying reatil you buy HD 10 off ebay for $700 no hardware to buy.
WTF are paying full reatil for?
And the do you know what Avid is going to chrage for the next upgrade?
PT 11 may be free for you know...
Old 18th June 2012
drake.ch

Quote:

For example:

Good luck.
That makes no sense.
Old 18th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaplans View Post
Can anyone tell me how they feel about the sound quality of their Mbox Pro 3 + PT10 combo, compared to what you have used before? How is the recording quality through the I/O and the AD?

Im interested in this unit because it seems to integrate well with PT but Im not sure if the AD/DA conversion quality will satisfy me. Im mostly recording external gear and plan to bypass the pres. Currently using Logic with Duet.
I upgraded from a Duet to an Mbox 3 Pro. It's great. Sounds good, plenty of IO for me, dual headphone outs, onboard DSP for tracking.
Old 27th June 2012

Quote:

Paying full retail is for dummies - street price on a HD 10 upgrades are $650.00 not $1K
And I am glad that you can predict the future.
Am I going to get that Sony/Unversal gig next month too?
Sorry but you don't know ... in either case.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search