New Reply
Subscribe
G-bone
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear interested

ProTools 10 NOT LAUNCHING - Help Please

Hello Everyone

I'm new to this forum and to the world of AVID's Protools - previously I was running ProTools LE 7.4 with an MBox2 and turned to Logic for quite a while. I have returned to ProTools however, as I know its has many advantages over all other softwares and intend on using it once again in a commercial capacity.. Here is a copy of what I sent to Customer Support, detailing the problems that I have encountered with Crossgrading to ProTools 10.

I would be very much obliged if ANYONE can help me ..... Even if it is just to point out something stupid that I have or haven't done.

"To Whom It May Concern

I am currently experiencing difficulties with my newly purchased ProTools 10.
It was purchased on a Crossgrade from LE (originally purchased with a MBox2).

I recently acquired a 2nd Hand MacBook Pro. The specs are as follows

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,4
Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo
Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 2
L2 Cache: 3 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MBP53.00AC.B03
SMC Version (system): 1.49f2
Serial Number (system): W8xxxxxxXJ
Hardware UUID:
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

where the original owner had removed the original Hardrive in order to house it as an external drive for use between 2 new Macs.

I purchased the above MacBook and installed a new Hardrive as outlined below.
__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

HARDRIVE SPECs
Name : Hitachi HTS545032A7E380 Media
Type : Disk

Partition Map Scheme : GUID Partition Table
Disk Identifier : disk0
Media Name : Hitachi HTS545032A7E380 Media
Media Type : Generic
Connection Bus : SATA
Device Tree : IODeviceTree:/PCI0@0/SATA@B/PRT0@0/PMP@0
Writable : Yes
Ejectable : No
Total Capacity : 320.07 GB (320,072,933,376 Bytes)
Disk Number : 0
Partition Number : 0
S.M.A.R.T. Status : Verified
Raw Read Error Rate : 000000000000
Spinup Time : 000E00000001
Start/Stop Count : 00000000002D
Reallocated Sector Count : 000000000000
Seek Error Rate : 000000000000
Seek Time Performance : 000000000000
Power-On Hours : 000000000019
Spinup Retries : 000000000000
Power Cycles : 00000000001E
Shock Sense Count : 000000000000
Power Off Retract Count : 000000000002
Load/Unload Cycles : 000000000ADD
HDD Temperature : 002700110022
Reallocation Event Count : 000000000000
Current Pending Sector Count : 000000000000
Off-Line Scan Uncorrectable Sector Count : 000000000000
UltraDMA CRC Errors : 000000000414
Loaded Retries : 000000000000

__________________________________________________ ________________________________________________
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________

Upon receiving the laptop directly from the authorized apple reseller that installed the new, clean hard drive, I installed my copy of Ableton 8.2.1 for immediate use. This was done without any problems and I been using Ableton and all its native plugins for a number of live performances and in the studio with no problems to report. I literally have not installed any other software onto this computer. The following is a detailed report of how I registered, downloaded and installed all the necessary files for Protools

? I purchased Pro Tools 10 on Crossgrade from LE and an iLok.
? I registered My iLok account (XXXX) and subsequently registered my Avid account (XXXXXX).
? Logged into my Avid account and entered my Activation Code and Serial Number of my MBox2 (XXXXX)
? Downloaded and installed the iLok Client .app and the iLok Driver extension.
? Logged into my iLok account and downloaded the Digidesign Protools 10 license that was deposited onto my iLok (i have double checked that and confirmed this license it currently on the iLok).
? DownloadedProTools 10 installer, Protool 10.0.1 updater and Avid Virtual Instruments Installer and correctly installed all the above

THE RESULT is that upon the launching of ProTools 10 (both from the Dock and Application Folder) the Icon simply jumps up and down a few times and then stops with no Error Message. I have tried launching it
? With and Without the Mbox2
? With and Without the iLok
? After a clean Uninstall of Protools (with and without repairing and verifying permissions)
? Creating a new Admin account, installing and launching from both admin accounts
? Deleting Ableton Live and launching it
? Upgrading my OS from 10.6.8 to 10.7.3 (whereby the exact same problem persists)

I have been trying to resolve this matter for a couple of days now but have exhausted all avenues of recommendation that I have come across on the web. I have spent upwards of a 1000EURO in order to be able to run a safe and reliable ProTools system ( as I always encountered problems with LE - whether it was problems with the MBox, OMF support etc) and would be much obliged if you would be able to help me resolve this issue.

With Kindest Regards
Glenn Keating"
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Lives for gear

Did you install the 10.0.1 update? If so I think it's only meant for HDX, on my system it will come up but it takes a long time.
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
Gear nut

Melodyne Bridge is still a culprit that will not allow Pro Tools 10 to open. If melodyne is installed on that partition pro tools will not open without first removing melodyne bridge.

My info is accurate with PT 10.0.1 HDX on 12 core westmere, Not sure if it pertains to your situation but its my shot in the dark.
G-bone
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanC View Post
Did you install the 10.0.1 update? If so I think it's only meant for HDX, on my system it will come up but it takes a long time.
Hi Ryan
There are separate updates for HDX and non-HDX. The same problem occurs even before I install the update.

I've literally tried every method of installing, uninstalling, creating new admin accounts and installing from there etc etc.....

I'll post as soon as there is any resolution (if there is any)

Thanks
G
G-bone
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeStrange View Post
Melodyne Bridge is still a culprit that will not allow Pro Tools 10 to open. If melodyne is installed on that partition pro tools will not open without first removing melodyne bridge.

My info is accurate with PT 10.0.1 HDX on 12 core westmere, Not sure if it pertains to your situation but its my shot in the dark.
Thanks Joe
This is running PT10 on a MPB. I don't have Melodyne on my system in fact, Ableton is the only other Software/Plugin that I have installed on the system before PT10.

Thanks for the headsup!!!

G
4th March 2012
Old 4th March 2012
Gear addict

Before you launch PT, open the Console (in Utilities) and select All Messages in the left pane (Show Log List if not visible). Are any error messages being generated when you try to launch PT? It might give you a clue as to what's going on.
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Lives for gear

Does the M-Box require drivers? If so, did you install them?

Scott
G-bone
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucks View Post
Before you launch PT, open the Console (in Utilities) and select All Messages in the left pane (Show Log List if not visible). Are any error messages being generated when you try to launch PT? It might give you a clue as to what's going on.
Hey Chucks
Launched Console Utility ..... Selected All Messages ..... Tried to Launch PT but absolutely nothing comes up in Console ..... NOTHING!!! I've seen some crazy things happen with software over the years but this completely stumps me (along with pretty much anyone elsE)

Thanks though.
G
5th March 2012
Old 5th March 2012
Gear addict

That whole thing with Melodyne reminded me that it was an issue with Rewire/Melodyne that caused the bouncing PT icon. The common thread with Live is Rewire also. There is an update available for Live that might change things. You could try that and/or you could also try removing the Ableton Rewire references in /Library/Application Support and ~/Library/Application Support. It's a shortcut labeled Ableton Rewire or something along those lines. Just something to try.

Edit: Actually, I think you can disable rewire mode in the Live preferences somewhere. Probably easier than hunting things down.

And Edit Again: You can't disable rewire in the Live preferences - just multiprocessor support. There's just a remote possibility rewire might be the problem - that's an old-old issue. Hope you get it fixed.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to lematrix Send a message via Skype™ to lematrix
My PT 10 stopped working as well....

Hi ,

since today my PT 10 native stopped working.
It´s chrashing after starting the DAE.

Deinstalled and installed everything new, but it´s still not working

any ideas ?

MAthias
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Lives for gear

Try launching PT10 while holding the N key, and see if you get the audio device window. If so, try switching to a different audio interface (built in, etc.), then relaunch and switch back to your normal interface.
6th March 2012
Old 6th March 2012
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to lematrix Send a message via Skype™ to lematrix
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Porto View Post
Try launching PT10 while holding the N key, and see if you get the audio device window. If so, try switching to a different audio interface (built in, etc.), then relaunch and switch back to your normal interface.
Joe, you´re the hero of today !!!

it worked ;-)

thank you, i owe you a drink
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear interested

When trying to open my pro tools 10 software I always get this message. ----"Could not allocate memory for the disk cache. Try lowering your disk buffer ( DAE Buffer), disk cache size, or engine voice count. I you got this error on launch, delete your prefs and try again. (-9514)."-----

I run Windows 64 bit 7 on my PC, MOTU AUDIO EXPRESS Intreface.
Holding the N key down while trying to open PT does not work for me . I can only initiate the opening of PT by doing this routine " right click on PT Icon, then open as administrator. And after a couple of seconds of trying to open, PT gives me this error message and I have to close it.

I have tried to lower the buffer, but not luck. It's set at 512.
I don't know what a disk cache is, or how to lower that, neither to lower the engine voice count.

Can anyone help me out? Thank you.
10th April 2012
Old 10th April 2012
Gear interested

After spending the entire night trying to figure out why it's not working and reading everything possible on the forums, I decided to give it one more try. I have uninstalled the protools 10, restarted the computer and then re-installed it again. Miraculously IT WORKED ! It might have been because I have installed the PT before connecting and downloading the licence to the ilok. I don't know for sure, but this time I had the ilok registered, the licence downloaded to the ilok, the ilok connected to my PC and it worked.
Thanks God !!!
Now I have to figure out how PT work. It's the first time I'm using the PT.
12th April 2012
Old 12th April 2012
Lives for gear

sometimes pro tools 10 is non =responsive.If i let it set for 5 minutes or so get a cup of coffee come back and it needs to be restarted??
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyman View Post
sometimes pro tools 10 is non =responsive.If i let it set for 5 minutes or so get a cup of coffee come back and it needs to be restarted??
Make sure your computer and hard drives aren't set to go into sleep mode. Make sure screen saver is disabled.
13th April 2012
Old 13th April 2012
Lives for gear

thanks i have shut everything off on my computer
24th December 2012
Old 24th December 2012
Gear interested

I had the same problem as "sprecorina" mentioned above.
Here's how to fix it...

If on startup Pro Tools throws up an error message saying

"Could not allocate memory for the disk cache. Try lowering your disk buffer ( DAE Buffer), disk cache size, or engine voice count. If you got this error on launch, delete your prefs and try again. (-9514)."

Then it's very likely that a cleaning program has deleted some files and or registry entries vital to Pro Tools running. In the case of the above error message it's the
"AVID HD Driver"

You can fix this problem by going to "Program And Features" in Win Vista, Win 7 and Win 8 or
"Add or Remove Programs" in XP
Then uninstall "Avid HD Driver (x86)"or "Avid HD Driver (x64)" depending on your Windows Platform.
Reboot.

Now on your Pro Tools installation DVD browse to,

"Pro Tools Installer\ISSetupPrerequisites\Avid HD Driver x64\Avid HD Driver10_x64.exe"

OR

"Pro Tools Installer\ISSetupPrerequisites\Avid HD Driver x86\Avid HD Driver10_x86.exe"

And install it.

Reboot.

Fire Up Pro Tools and your away again.

To avoid this happening again make sure that when using cleaning programs you check EVERY file being deleted and add any references to AVID or Pro Tools to the softwares Detection Exclusion settings. These settings vary from program to program but it's common for most cleaning programs to be able to right click a detected file and "Exclude from future Detection"

Hope this helps someone.

Last edited by FilGee; 24th December 2012 at 11:52 PM.. Reason: Spelling
31st December 2012
Old 31st December 2012
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilGee View Post
Here's how to fix it...

*snip*

Hope this helps someone.
Indeed, you helped me today! Thanks and happy holidays!

-J
31st January 2013
Old 31st January 2013
Gear interested

FilGee you are the man!!! Thanks I did what you said and it worked!!!
2nd February 2013
Old 2nd February 2013
Gear interested

Quote:

Hope this helps someone.
Dude - you just did me a major solid! Worked like a charm.

Thanks!
4th June 2013
Old 4th June 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Here's how to fix it...

Hope this helps someone.
FilGee, you ROCK!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search