question regarding converting pro tools 10 to an earlier version
otobianki74
Thread Starter
#1
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
  #1
Lives for gear
 
otobianki74's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,133

Thread Starter
question regarding converting pro tools 10 to an earlier version

I'm going to be creating older pro tools files for a client of mine (.ptf files) -- I have version 10, and they are still on an older system. if I create the older session file, can I just create the actual file and leave it in the main directory... meaning will it link to the audio/fade files folder that's there? or do I need to create a whole separate copy of the session including the audio files?

thanks!

uri
#2
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
  #2
Gear Head
 
ant_chapman's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: London
Posts: 56

You need to use File>Save Copy In, as PT10 uses a different session format (.ptx) to 9 (.ptf).

Make sure to tick "all audio files" and select the right format for Pro Tools 9 in the dialog
otobianki74
Thread Starter
#3
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
  #3
Lives for gear
 
otobianki74's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,133

Thread Starter
yup, I know that.

wondering if there was a way to just save the .ptf file and avoid having to make a copy with the audio files -- i.e. the .ptf would reside in the original folder like the .ptx file and link to the audio/fade files.
#4
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
  #4
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Sydney via London

Quote:
Originally Posted by otobianki74 View Post
yup, I know that.

wondering if there was a way to just save the .ptf file and avoid having to make a copy with the audio files -- i.e. the .ptf would reside in the original folder like the .ptx file and link to the audio/fade files.
Yes.

Same as its always been, just leave "copy audio files" unticked.

Only possible if you're not using interleaved files of course.
otobianki74
Thread Starter
#5
2nd March 2012
Old 2nd March 2012
  #5
Lives for gear
 
otobianki74's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,133

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
Yes.

Same as its always been, just leave "copy audio files" unticked.

Only possible if you're not using interleaved files of course.
it's weird, on some sessions from the same batch it allows me to leave off the option to include audio files. for others, it is greyed out and the option is not given. maybe this has to do with the interleaved files.

thanks.

uri
#6
3rd March 2012
Old 3rd March 2012
  #6
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Sydney via London

Quote:
Originally Posted by otobianki74 View Post
it's weird, on some sessions from the same batch it allows me to leave off the option to include audio files. for others, it is greyed out and the option is not given. maybe this has to do with the interleaved files.

thanks.

uri
Well, it will do if you're using interleaved files, but I've also had this happen. I think it must just be a bug.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
celticrogues / Music Computers
3
stereobot / Music Computers
8
Damian Taylor / Music Computers
4
guitarwiz800 / Music Computers
11

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.