Big ass pt10 issue affecting everyone!
sfere recording
Thread Starter
#1
11th February 2012
Old 11th February 2012
  #1
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 164

Thread Starter
Big ass pt10 issue affecting everyone!

see the thread I started at the DUC ...It affects everyone and I can't see how this has slid past everyone and why a major mutiny is not at hand.

Record Offset for 3rd Party Hardware? WTF!! - Avid Audio Forums

We need verification by people with Native HD, HDX and regular native users...in essence everyone. So please test and chime in your results!!

PLEASE

thanks
Dennis Ferrer
#2
12th February 2012
Old 12th February 2012
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,140

Not everyone. Those that bought HDX had to buy an Avid interface with it so it's not an issue. Many who bought HD Native grabbed up the new Avid interface as well.
sfere recording
Thread Starter
#3
12th February 2012
Old 12th February 2012
  #3
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 164

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
Not everyone. Those that bought HDX had to buy an Avid interface with it so it's not an issue. Many who bought HD Native grabbed up the new Avid interface as well.
LOL if you paid attention to the whole thread you'd have found out that there IS an issue Avid hardware as one user and myself have documented...and we are trying to verify other users. 2 so far. If you have an HDX then test...If you have Native then check...and please come back and answer. But please don't assume..

thanks
Dennis
#4
12th February 2012
Old 12th February 2012
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,140

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfere recording View Post
LOL if you paid attention to the whole thread you'd have found out that there IS an issue Avid hardware or not as one user and myself have documented...and we are trying to verify other users. 2 so far. If you have an HDX then test...If you have Native then check...and please come back and answer. But please don't assume..

thanks
Dennis
Is this not what you stated in your Record Offset for 3rd Party Hardware? WTF!! thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfere1 View Post
For the love of God or the higher power of your choice why? OH WHY? is there not an option in preferences for hardware record latency offsets? If you have a 3rd party converter and PT has no way of compensating for the unknown round trip latency that occurs then why sell me a native solution? I just tried to record a track out of a direct out of my IZ Ada converter back into an input and saw that my track was 90 samples late with delay comp off. Funny thing...i turn delay comp on and it gets later. Has no one even noticed this? Sliding every newly recorded track or sliding the track to record is not even a consideration. I mean the competitor that I cross-graded from (Nuendo) has this....why not PT? Can someone from support chime in on this?

Thanks
Dennis Ferrer
Avid interfaces with no 3rd party converters hooked in are fine. As this guy responded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Top Jimmy View Post
Well, nothing's wrong as long as you use Avid branded interfaces. That has always been the unspoken party line.
Our systems are all Avid interfaces. We loopback test everything at install. Even the HD Native is with an Omni. We do not have 3rd party converters hooked in and do not have those issues. Everyone who has an HDX has an avid i/o that was paired at purchase so they do not have those issues. That is why there is no "uproar". If the new PT/Avid interface only systems had issues the seas would have parted on the first day of release. Avid is an easy target.

Avid is being devious here but hey... I do remember a person having issues with one of the older digi 96 interfaces on PT 9 but it was rectified. If PT 10 no longer has an offset in the i/o tab then there is an issue. I'm sure it will be back in an update release if enough noise is made by 3rd party converter users and if they sell enough new avid i/o's.
sfere recording
Thread Starter
#5
12th February 2012
Old 12th February 2012
  #5
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 164

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
Is this not what you stated in your Record Offset for 3rd Party Hardware? WTF!! thread?


.... Everyone who has an HDX has an avid i/o that was paired at purchase so they do not have those issues. That is why there is no "uproar". If the new PT/Avid interface only systems had issues the seas would have parted on the first day of release. Avid is an easy target.

Avid is being devious here but hey... I do remember a person having issues with one of the older digi 96 interfaces on PT 9 but it was rectified. If PT 10 no longer has an offset in the i/o tab then there is an issue. I'm sure it will be back in an update release if enough noise is made by 3rd party converter users and if they sell enough new avid i/o's.
this is where i'm stating that you are wrong...we had a user test with his HDX system with avid hardware and he has the same issue!! you'll see it on the thread..name is Carl. There was no way of changing the subject of the post...I'll have to somehow revise it to include all hardware. If you've tried the loopback test with delay comp on and off with an HDX system or HDNative card and you are certain that it's dead on..then bless you...i'm envious lol!

Dennis
#6
12th February 2012
Old 12th February 2012
  #6
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Sydney via London

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfere recording View Post
this is where i'm stating that you are wrong...we had a user test with his HDX system with avid hardware and he has the same issue!! you'll see it on the thread..name is Carl. There was no way of changing the subject of the post...I'll have to somehow revise it to include all hardware. If you've tried the loopback test with delay comp on and off with an HDX system or HDNative card and you are certain that it's dead on..then bless you...i'm envious lol!

Dennis
With delay comp OFF, you're going to get that latency print. Impossible not to.

I agree that it should be an option. No real reason why it shouldn't be present.

At the same time, the only time this is really an issue for anyone is when parallel processing. If your vocal comes back 4 samples late or early from a round trip of hardware inserting, it's not going to be noticeable. Ever.

I agree it should be fixed, but it's not a deal breaker.
#7
12th February 2012
Old 12th February 2012
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Posts: 4,140

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfere recording View Post
this is where i'm stating that you are wrong...we had a user test with his HDX system with avid hardware and he has the same issue!! you'll see it on the thread..name is Carl. There was no way of changing the subject of the post...I'll have to somehow revise it to include all hardware. If you've tried the loopback test with delay comp on and off with an HDX system or HDNative card and you are certain that it's dead on..then bless you...i'm envious lol!

Dennis
This post proves my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Lie View Post
I just ran a test at the OP request.

I tracked a kick drum sample on a mono audio track
I sent that track out analog 7 of my 8x8x8 into analog 8 of the 8x8x8
I recorded the in of analog 8 onto a new track

With Delay Compensation ON - the tracks lined up
With Delay Compensation OFF - the second tracked was delayed by 80-90 samples.


Carl
Exactly my point. No issue. Why would anyone turn off Delay Comp in the first place? Once again, there is no issue here for Avid i/o users that's why there has been no uproar. I know you want it to be larger but it's just not an issue for those not using third party converters piped in.
sfere recording
Thread Starter
#8
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #8
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Posts: 164

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post

Why would anyone turn off Delay Comp in the first place?
according to tech support...and this is verbatim while i was on the phone with them regarding this issue AND a midi issue...I was told
"we recommend ONLY recording with delay compensation off"
LOL....I had the same thought you have expressed..but that's from the horse's mouth. Call em up...you'll see.

So You see? the poster had a reverse result of the so called intended behavior....and in fact IF PT automatically compensates for their hardware...why would delay comp need to be instantiated? It would only be needed for alignment when you start putting in plugs. As such...the tracks in HDX should line up perfectly without Delay Comp on. Make sense?
Now if their tech unwittingly presented misinformation...then boo on me...but it's pretty clear to me...especially since they've made it known that their hardware is automatically compensated for.

my .02
#9
13th February 2012
Old 13th February 2012
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Posts: 636

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfere recording View Post
and in fact IF PT automatically compensates for their hardware...why would delay comp need to be instantiated?
Because that's how it's instantiated, through Delay Comp.

Non-issue. Back to recording anyone?
#10
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: NYC/LA
Posts: 1,636

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing81 View Post
Because that's how it's instantiated, through Delay Comp.

Non-issue. Back to recording anyone?
I agree. I would never turn off Delay Comp for any reason. After seeing this thread I did a loopback test on HD Native + Omni. Non-issue.
#11
14th February 2012
Old 14th February 2012
  #11
Moderator
 
psycho_monkey's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Sydney via London

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfere recording View Post
according to tech support...and this is verbatim while i was on the phone with them regarding this issue AND a midi issue...I was told
"we recommend ONLY recording with delay compensation off"
LOL....I had the same thought you have expressed..but that's from the horse's mouth. Call em up...you'll see.

So You see? the poster had a reverse result of the so called intended behavior....and in fact IF PT automatically compensates for their hardware...why would delay comp need to be instantiated? It would only be needed for alignment when you start putting in plugs. As such...the tracks in HDX should line up perfectly without Delay Comp on. Make sense?
Now if their tech unwittingly presented misinformation...then boo on me...but it's pretty clear to me...especially since they've made it known that their hardware is automatically compensated for.

my .02
Hmm, this used to be the "party line" but it's no longer the case. There's absolutely no reason to record with delay comp off.
#12
18th February 2012
Old 18th February 2012
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,089

Ok, Here is what I would like to do on the record side of things in Pro Tools. Is this possible?
I record to a tape machine and dump off the repro head into the daw. As some of you know, there is a gap between the record and the repro head. In my case at 88.2k the gap is 7772 samples at 30 ips and 15,xxx samples at 15 ips. My current software can be told how many samples to slide things back in time. Overdubs work great this way. The tape machine is a giant plugin and keeps rolling. So I need to automatically correct the delay between the record and repro head and basically update the timestamp on the overdubs.
Possible in Protools?
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
lamp / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
8
Wolfgang / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
9
Remoteness / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
1
PapillonIrl / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
5
jazzbutcher / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
6

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.