Pro Tools 10 won't find my HD hardware
New Reply
Subscribe
nycbeat
26th December 2011
Old 26th December 2011
Gear maniac

Pro Tools 10 won't find my HD hardware

I installed PT 10, dumped prefs, repaired permissions, installed iLok asset... Pro Tools will only open with "aggregate i/o", it is not finding my HD hardware at all.

2010 MacPro 8 core, HD 3 accel PCI with up to date Magma Chassis, Apogee Rosetta 800, AD-16x, and DA-16x.

When Audio Midi Setup is opened from within Pro Tools it lists my HD hardware as having " 0 in/0 out". When Audio Midi Setup is opened outside of Pro Tools it shows active ins and outs for the HD hardware.

Anyone having similar issues? Any thoughts?

Luxury Wafers Fine Indie Music Blog

Peter Malick
26th December 2011
Old 26th December 2011
Lives for gear

What happens when you launch Pro Tools while holding the N key?
The PB engine dialog box should open then you'll be able to select HD-TDM playback engine.

==========

SURPLUS GEAR SALE
nycbeat
26th December 2011
Old 26th December 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by T_R_S View Post
What happens when you launch Pro Tools while holding the N key?
The PB engine dialog box should open then you'll be able to select HD-TDM playback engine.
The same playback engine dialog window opens that I can access in Pro Tools. My HD hardware is not listed.

FYI, I have 2 system drives in my MacPro. I never make any major update without testing it first on my backup system drive, and PT 9 is still running and finding the hardware on my other startup drive.
26th December 2011
Old 26th December 2011
Lives for gear

I had this type of thing a while back, and fixed it by trashing my Digi Setup, I think.

Good luck.

"Don't play everything. Let some things go by. Some music is just imagined" - Thelonius Monk
nycbeat
26th December 2011
Old 26th December 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkwater View Post
I had this type of thing a while back, and fixed it by trashing my Digi Setup, I think.

Good luck.
I've done that already. Thanks for the good wishes, though
27th December 2011
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I'm having the exact same problem...

I wonder why you and i are the only 2 having this issue, doesn't make sense. Did you try updating your firmware. I read on Avid that if you installed 10 it does this for you. The card sees my 192, but the software does not.
27th December 2011
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I moved the hardware to Native HD Card cable over to the second port, and it's now working. Hope this helps.
nycbeat
27th December 2011
Old 27th December 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by engmix View Post
I'm having the exact same problem...

I wonder why you and i are the only 2 having this issue, doesn't make sense. Did you try updating your firmware. I read on Avid that if you installed 10 it does this for you.
I read the same thing. Are we naive to assume they know what they're talking about? I'm at a loss as to how I should proceed, except to invest this time in finding a new DAW that I can eventually migrate to.
27th December 2011
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbeat View Post
I read the same thing. Are we naive to assume they know what they're talking about? I'm at a loss as to how I should proceed, except to invest this time in finding a new DAW that I can eventually migrate to.
I see, so you're just using 10 with your HD system. I'm demoing a Native HD system. I have an HD3 accel system now that run's very smooth for the most part, but the thought of my system becoming so outdated so soon is a worry. I want to be on the curve when 11 comes out, and not dealing with some insanely expensive switchover. And on paper I like some of the new features of 10 as well, and from what i've noticed so far demoing 10 native is that it's a bit quicker feeling compared to 10 TDM. Also one thing i noticed was, some of my VI"s seem to be more stable running Native HD verses on my accel system. I could barely use Battery before and now it's totally usable. My only concern is i'm a very plugin heavy mixer, and i wonder how well this is going to hold up. I'm considering getting a UAD card, which opens up a great deal of power and options as well. It then sorta becomes a hybrid native and tdm system in a way. As for migrating to another DAW, i don't know about you, but i've been using pro tools since it's conception, so for me that would be pretty tough.

I would call Avid and have them get you sorted out before you jump ship.
nycbeat
27th December 2011
Old 27th December 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
I see, so you're just using 10 with your HD system. I'm demoing a Native HD system. I have an HD3 accel system now that run's very smooth for the most part, but the thought of my system becoming so outdated so soon is a worry. I want to be on the curve when 11 comes out, and not dealing with some insanely expensive switchover. And on paper I like some of the new features of 10 as well, and from what i've noticed so far demoing 10 native is that it's a bit quicker feeling compared to 10 TDM. Also one thing i noticed was, some of my VI"s seem to be more stable running Native HD verses on my accel system. I could barely use Battery before and now it's totally usable. My only concern is i'm a very plugin heavy mixer, and i wonder how well this is going to hold up. I'm considering getting a UAD card, which opens up a great deal of power and options as well. It then sorta becomes a hybrid native and tdm system in a way. As for migrating to another DAW, i don't know about you, but i've been using pro tools since it's conception, so for me that would be pretty tough.

I would call Avid and have them get you sorted out before you jump ship.
That's fascinating. I've wondered how it would be going from HD to HD Native. I definitely experience some weird behavior in my VI's from time to time. I'd be curious to hear how Native holds up in a big session.

I've got 12 years in PT, but I am seriously thinking of jumping ship. Actually, it would be more of a leisurely stroll. I can't see mixing in anything else for the foreseeable future, but have serious doubts about AVID's viability in the long term. Starting to use Studio One for some editing. Just checking it out.

Still trying to get 10 to see the hardware...
27th December 2011
Old 27th December 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
That's fascinating. I've wondered how it would be going from HD to HD Native. I definitely experience some weird behavior in my VI's from time to time. I'd be curious to hear how Native holds up in a big session.

I've got 12 years in PT, but I am seriously thinking of jumping ship. Actually, it would be more of a leisurely stroll. I can't see mixing in anything else for the foreseeable future, but have serious doubts about AVID's viability in the long term. Starting to use Studio One for some editing. Just checking it out.

Still trying to get 10 to see the hardware...
I see why many are nervous about Avid's longterm outlook, but i've heard this before over the years from just about every DAW developer out there, including Digidesign and Avid. I think the only one that i can remember that went completely belly up was Opcode "Studio Vision" which i thought was great for the time. I have no doubts what so ever that if Avid tanked another company would pickup Pro Tools and other Avid products and continue to develop them. There's way to many users out there for another company to not see the potential in owning a product like this.

Try this on for size "Sweet Water's Pro Tools 12" is being released etc....

If there's anything to be nervous about, is holding onto a card based system such as TDM / HDX etc....what are we all going to do when Apple drops the Mac Pro, like when PCIX was dropped. That little move right there cost me $4000. The card based system is going to become a clunky setup with chassis and work arounds to make a current setup work on a newer computer. With this said if Native HD doesn't work well i'll just run my system till it falls apart and go from there.
Deleted User
30th December 2011
Old 30th December 2011
Deleted User

Quote:
....what are we all going to do when Apple drops the Mac Pro, .
It´s gonna happen soon, Apple is going to become a phone and gadget supplier, it´s more profitable. Who cares about a few frustrated high-end users when you can sell phones and i-toys better than sliced bread.

Well, we may consider the impossible...and turn to PC´s.
30th December 2011
Old 30th December 2011
Lives for gear

The iLok asset is PTHD?
nycbeat
30th December 2011
Old 30th December 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
The iLok asset is PTHD?
It is. I saw a post on DUC that said both the HD asset and regular PT 10 asset needed to be on your iLok. That was last night. I downloaded the 2nd asset, but it didn't change a thing.
nycbeat
30th December 2011
Old 30th December 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
It is. I saw a post on DUC that said both the HD asset and regular PT 10 asset needed to be on your iLok. That was last night. I downloaded the 2nd asset, but it didn't change a thing.
AHA!! I dumped prefs one more time and it works.

Evidently you MUST download the non-HD iLok asset in addition to the HD asset, or it won't work.

Over and out.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search