Gearslutz.com

Gearslutz.com (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/)
-   Pro Tools 10 + HDX (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/pro-tools-10-hdx/)
-   -   Melodyne and PT10 (http://www.gearslutz.com/board/pro-tools-10-hdx/680310-melodyne-pt10.html)

JoFo 22nd December 2011 12:17 AM

Melodyne and PT10

I'm having a lot of trouble with Melodyne crashing PT10hd, specifically with more than one instance of melodyne open.

Anyone else having this issue?

I'm using the latest version of Melodyne.

JoFo 23rd December 2011 10:35 PM

No one?

I'm not quite sure if it's having a conflict with Reason 6 being open or just Melodyne. Seems stable if Buffer is set to highest settings, but below 512 it will crash PT (HD native) with two instances of Melodyne open.

mirrorboy 24th December 2011 11:58 PM

When working in PT 10 with a mildly heavy to heavy mix, the first time I open Melodyne is pretty much a guaranteed PT crash.

It's hard to remember the last time I opened Melodyne (for the first time on a big session) and it didn't crash PT. I literrally open Melodyne knowing it's gonna crash PT (save before).

I then re-open PT, usually deactivate a bunch of stuff (actually most often deactivate), then Melodyne is fine.

They (Celemony) REALLY need to fix the bugs. Especially for a plug that wins so many awards (one would think anyways).

--

On the other hand, it may be that Melodyne's memory use is breaching PT's limit. And unless the PT session is very light, it will crash PT every time due to the (less than) 4GB RAM limit of this 32 Bit App.

Lastly, if the above is the case, then perhaps they should make it run the way VE Pro does (I know they have the stand-alone, but this would be easier and better implemented, I think) in that you insert Melodyne and the program's memory runs outside PT.

Scott

P.S. Just curious, are you running the UAD2 platform? PCIe?

JoFo 27th December 2011 03:54 AM

[QUOTE=mirrorboy;7364852

P.S. Just curious, are you running the UAD2 platform? PCIe?[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. Yes I also run UAD 2 (quad card), why do you ask? It works with PTHD, but not as well as I would like. Generally I have to disable all UAD plugs when tracking, even in "tracking" mode.

I'm trying to sort out where my problems with PTHD native live.

IT could be I'm using the apogee Symphony as my "HD" interface.
IT could also be I"m still running V7 Waves plugs.
it could be Reason V6.

Damn it's tricky getting all software to work together just right! hittt

Aec 29th January 2012 06:53 AM

Melodyne is one of the most unstable plugins, which is weird because it is in every studio.

mirrorboy 30th January 2012 01:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aec (Post 7500275)
Melodyne is one of the most unstable plugins, which is weird because it is in every studio.

+1000

I think it is the most unstable plugin.

Demor 30th January 2012 08:22 AM

Quote:

Well, not in ours, I wouldn't know why I would need it, we run Antaris.

The MPCist 30th January 2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Yep, it was always weird in every system I've used.... Now that we've just gone PTHD10, I still haven't installed it.... Hoping that Celemony would update any bugs... lol

JoFo 31st January 2012 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirrorboy (Post 7503121)
+1000

I think it is the most unstable plugin.

Bummer. I've been using WavesTune up until now, but melodyne sounds so much better to me.

fifthflaw 2nd February 2012 09:31 AM

I swear this plug in is getting worse all the time. I running it on hd 9 and constantly getting glitches and distortion in the transferred audio, detecting things as chords when it's a simple vocal line in melodic algorithm, crashing protocols etc etc.

Tried all the usual fixes like dropping down to 7 cores etc etc. Going to have to have a serious look at auto tune and that zynaptic one. Love melodyne when it works but it's just wasting too much time. Is anyone using the new one that costs €99 to upgrade to? Any improvement?

Klotzi 2nd February 2012 10:36 AM

Same here. Melodyne drives me crazy. Such an unstable plug in...why does everybody love it if it crashes PT all the time?
I was told by a sales man (not celemonye), the problem is in the RTAS code and they had to rewrite it from scratch. That's why they don't fix it...as long as you deal with small parts of audio it's no problem to use it.
I found a workaround for it, but this is very annoying and takes min. double the time then the normal way to use the plug in

Sent from my HTC Vision using Gearslutz.com

mattrixx 2nd February 2012 11:58 AM

It's working treat here in both PT10 and Logic9.1.6.

s.d.finley 6th February 2012 05:22 AM

Weird, my issue is when I first initiate Melodyne the Gui is blank. Open another pkug in and then open melodyne and its all good.

Klotzi 6th February 2012 07:10 AM

The main annoying problems beside crashing PT are:
No sync to the marker position in the timeline. You have to scroll by hand each time you are playing audio from the sequencer
PT chooses all the time any algorithm - percussiv when I want to edit an double bass solo??? Of course I can fix that by hand, but...gruudge
Crashing only happens if you have bigger datas (song longer then 3 min) or melodyne on different tracks. The more data the more unstable...In my opinion I could live and understand if it's getting slower