New Reply
Subscribe
dandeurloo
26th November 2011
Old 26th November 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Digi III eq Vs. Channel Strip

I use the Digi III eq regularly. What is the difference in sound between it and the channel strip eq? Also, how much DSP does the Channel Strip add. I am wondering if I would gain by using the new Channel Strip instead of the Digi III eq.

I don't have PT 10 so I can't demo it.

Thanks for any thoughts on it.

Credits
Some of the music I have been part of.

Risen Drums
Custom drum company I co-own. I wont pimp our drums here unless you ask.
26th November 2011
Old 26th November 2011
Gear maniac

I upgraded yesterday and in my first session on 10 found myself using channel strip on everything. It's really laid out quite nice.
26th November 2011
Old 26th November 2011
Lives for gear

Here we go post 1000 ! :D
It is indeed sounding pretty ok, However I found myself turning back to my previous first call channel strip Waves SSL.
Mac Pro 6 core 3.46 GHz, 24 GB RAM, 285GTX, AVID HD I/O, UAD-2 Quad Satellite, PT HD3 PCIe PT HD 10.3.7, 10.8.4 , CS-80,Jupiter-8,P5rev2,P5Rev3.3,Xpander,Andromeda,Code8,Jupiter-4,PPG Wave 2.2,Prophet600,4xSlimPhatty,Voyager RME
dandeurloo
27th November 2011
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Are you back to the SSL just because you are use to it? It must not be all that impressive if you have already returned to the SSL.

Thanks for the feedback.
27th November 2011
Old 27th November 2011
Gear Head

It's a different texture than both the SSL or EQ III plugins.
I've listened to the System 5 fusion and compared the actual console eq and compressor to the channel strip plugin and the sound is very similar.

I would describe it as a little warmer or darker sounding than eqIII or the SSL plugin (IMHO).
27th November 2011
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

I like S5 strip maps great with Icon - it works for me!
27th November 2011
Old 27th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandeurloo View Post
Are you back to the SSL just because you are use to it? It must not be all that impressive if you have already returned to the SSL.

Thanks for the feedback.
Both... I lost some punch in the mids with the Channel strip. Overall it sounds too smooth for my taste, also the compressor. I´ve got a kind of deja vu back to the Logic Channel EQ which is also a bit too soft sounding.
28th November 2011
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

I thought I read elsewhere that the eq section on the new channel strip is the same as the stock digi eqs, but the comp section is different. don't quote me.

I'd be curious to know the benefit of using these types of aax plug-ins over standard rtas in a tracking situation say on a HD native system. I tried it today and it worked great, but just on solo vox, but I'm wondering if you are stacking multiple aax plugs vs. rtas how their performance would fare (i.e. on a drum session on multiple channels). I'm guessing better performance which is why they are porting over to this new code.

also, for shits and giggles I toggled through a few of the presets. wow, I was seeing some extreme boosts. I don't normally eq that crazy unless I'm going for a nutty sound or the source required it on some surgical level.

oto
28th November 2011
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by otobianki74 View Post
I thought I read elsewhere that the eq section on the new channel strip is the same as the stock digi eqs, but the comp section is different. don't quote me.
It's a sim of the euphonix system 5 console channel strip. Unless euphonix modelled the stock digi eq when they designed the system 5 console...
28th November 2011
Old 28th November 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by work2do View Post
It's a sim of the euphonix system 5 console channel strip. Unless euphonix modelled the stock digi eq when they designed the system 5 console...
gotcha... I might have read it wrong somewhere else on the forum, or misunderstood.

thx!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search