Pro Tools 10 - What I'm excited about
New Reply
Subscribe
stevens119
22nd October 2011
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Pro Tools 10 - What I'm excited about

$299 for standard it's a no-brainer for me, and I just upgraded back in November. It costs to upgrade, even when it's was unexpected. I certainly wouldn't want to have to buy an upgrade so early, but all this stuff leaves me no choice. For what you get, I definitely think it's worth it. But at $999 The HD/Native rig may have to wait...The pricing on that seems very high, and there is really not much more you get than in the standard PT version.

Things I'm excited about :

Sessions load into RAM - worth it to me for that alone. Anything to substantially speed things up. Playback is instant. Supposedly taking care of DAE errors...essentially, no disk errors if playing back from ram, as it wouldn't be possible

4 times the amount of Delay Compensation. So I can basically run all UAD plugins on a channel if I want to with no delay. Nice

Clip Gain - I definitely need that. Look it up. I've needed this since I started. I hated level automation because I had to automate the whole track. Clip Gain is pre-inserts, pre-fader, pre-everything. Yeah, that's right.

Euphonix System 5 Channel Strip - If it sounds great, then I'm excited about that. A great sounding channel strip is worth $299 alone. Plus it's in a new plug-in format that will work natively and through DSP. It's called AAX. I guess AAX supports 64-bit plugins. RTAS and TDM will be gone in PT11

32 Bit (float)

Recording onto flash drives - that's sick. Who wouldn't want to be able to do that? Maybe it's possible because the sessions are loaded into ram?

More functionality for Eucon - as if it needed any more integration

Global Solo and Mute buttons - useful for high track counts where you can't find what you solo'ed

Bouncing to iTunes - useful. I import everything into iTunes after I record it, so it's one less step. I thought it was unnecessary, but still cool. Why not save me 30 seconds

Real Time Fades - really? No more missing fade files...Thank god. Missing fades was a real annoyance for me. Plus it makes sessions open and close much faster due to not having to render fades

Audiosuite updates - Targets now in Audiosuite. So you can have more than one open at once. Also, window configurations so you can keep the settings for whatever audiosuite plugins you had open. Can't tell you how many times I went back up to audiosuite something and I forgot to save the settings I used previously

The mix engines are the same in PT10 and PT10 HD, meaning your sessions will sounds the same on both

Stereo Interleaved tracks are interleaved instead of PT making them into two mono tracks. So when you go to your audio files folder, you stereo tracks will be stereo instead of "Piano_L" "Piano_R"

Low latency monitoring for 3rd party interfaces. This is great, because it wasn't in PT9. Not a necessity, but necessary

For those complaining about 64-bit, there is a reason. The older Blue HD interfaces are not compatible with 64-bit. Avid is giving them one last version "10" and that will be all. On to 64-bit. I do understand the reasoning. Alot more money was spent on those rigs than an Mbox. It makes sense. Before they throw those users under the bus, they wanted to give them another version compatible with their hardware. So to keep everybody compatible, they opted out of 64-bit for this time. It's doesn't bother me a bit. I've never had a 64 bit DAW, so I haven't benefitted from it in any way. Maybe when it arrives, I'll like it. But I'd take all these new features over 64-bit any day. Plus I have been in the DIGI001, original Mbox boat myself before. I hate it too when my equipment becomes incompatible. I think it's thoughtful that "10" includes non-native HD users

Some of these features may be in other DAW's. That's good...for people that use other DAW's. For me, I only care about what features are in Pro Tools, because that's what I use. I am as impressed with this new feature set as I was when I heard about ADC in PT9. A few more things to make job easier.
22nd October 2011
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

4 x the delay compensation may be worth getting the update for me. I use a few outboard pieces with my Black Lion Sig 002 and am always in the red at 1024. It does seem like I just paid for the 9 update not too long ago though.

...So this is the last hurrah for my 002 if I want to stay current. It served me well. Put a roof over my family's head and food on the table. I'll give it a respectable burial in the back yard. lol

I was planning on moving to HD native in the near future anyway. I may as well dive all the way in and grab a complete HDX system.
mangoblack.com
stevens119
22nd October 2011
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Not quite sure yet what the benefits of HDX are over last years HD/Native, but I am sure they are both future proof for a while. The HD/Native card + OMNI is like half the price of HDX
22nd October 2011
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Not delivering a 64 bit PT v10 and their reasons behind it are lame. Other DAWs have BOTH 32 bit and 64 bit versions included along with a bridge app to use 32 bit plugs in the 64 bit host. Why lie to your customers and try to spin your way out of it instead of owning up to the fact that they didn't want to spend the money on programing this round and instead have chosen a path to force prior customers to buy new hardware. I guess the marketing weasels can't help themselves LOL.
22nd October 2011
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Really? they ask $1499 for the upgrade software from PT HD 8 to PT 10 HD!!
22nd October 2011
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Most users of other DAWs get a chuckle out of the new features, many of which have been included in other DAWs for years. Few of those DAWs cost $1500, let alone charge such an upgrade fee.

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Resistance is not futile. It is voltage divided by current.
22nd October 2011
Old 22nd October 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevens119 View Post

Sessions load into RAM - worth it to me for that alone. Anything to substantially speed things up. Playback is instant. Supposedly taking care of DAE errors...essentially, no disk errors if playing back from ram, as it wouldn't be possible
I don't think that you get this for Pro Tools 10, I think it's only PT10 HD.
stevens119
22nd October 2011
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyR View Post
I don't think that you get this for Pro Tools 10, I think it's only PT10 HD.
Awesome. That's explains what I will get for that $700 difference between 10 and 10HD. Thanks. And for the amount difference, that is probably worth it. Wonder if that is something that was only possible with HD cards or if they just wanted to save the best part for HD crowd?
stevens119
22nd October 2011
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill@WelcomeHome View Post
Most users of other DAWs get a chuckle out of the new features
Which is fitting, because most users of Pro Tools get a chuckle out of people using other DAWs.

What other DAW's load entire sessions into RAM? I want to try some of the others that do

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
Not delivering a 64 bit PT v10 and their reasons behind it are lame. Other DAWs have BOTH 32 bit and 64 bit versions included along with a bridge app to use 32 bit plugs in the 64 bit host. Why lie to your customers and try to spin your way out of it instead of owning up to the fact that they didn't want to spend the money on programing this round and instead have chosen a path to force prior customers to buy new hardware. I guess the marketing weasels can't help themselves LOL.
Everybody that buys an HD rig knows it only has about a 5-7 year life expectancy. History has told us that with PT interfaces....So, What does this have to do with being excited about the new Pro Tools features?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak7 View Post
That's just nuts
22nd October 2011
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
For those complaining about 64-bit, there is a reason. The older Blue HD interfaces are not compatible with 64-bit. Avid is giving them one last version "10" and that will be all. On to 64-bit. I do understand the reasoning. Alot more money was spent on those rigs than an Mbox. It makes sense. Before they throw those users under the bus, they wanted to give them another version compatible with their hardware. So to keep everybody compatible, they opted out of 64-bit for this time. It's doesn't bother me a bit. I've never had a 64 bit DAW, so I haven't benefitted from it in any way. Maybe when it arrives, I'll like it. But I'd take all these new features over 64-bit any day. Plus I have been in the DIGI001, original Mbox boat myself before. I hate it too when my equipment becomes incompatible. I think it's thoughtful that "10" includes non-native HD users
I don't think it's the older blue HD interface that are not compatible with 64-bit, as such. I think it's TDM architecture of the HD cards. The interfaces just do the AD and DA conversion, which is still 24-bit with the new HDX systems.
22nd October 2011
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

How is it possible to load an entire session into ram in a 32 bit app with a 3 gb ram limit?
22nd October 2011
Old 22nd October 2011
Gear addict

I thought 10 loaded into Ram .. I feel a little robbed..
22nd October 2011
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alndln View Post
How is it possible to load an entire session into ram in a 32 bit app with a 3 gb ram limit?
The same way it's possible to load 10 gigs of samples in 32bit Kontakt. They use a ram server.
MacPro 2.8 "Nehalem" quad, 12gRam, Osx 10.7.3 | Cubase 6.5, Logic 9.1.6, Pro Tools 10.2, DSP-Quattro, VePro 5 | SSL AlphaLinkAX, SSL MadiExtreme 64 | Api 3124+ , Focusrite Isa-428, Distressor, dbx-160x | Pro Ac 100s, Ns-10's , Avantone's | to many plugins and VI's to list | lots of mics as well
22nd October 2011
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by topperf View Post
I thought 10 loaded into Ram .. I feel a little robbed..
I'm afraid you'll need CPTK... we tried it on our iMac yesterday with P10+CTPK.
22nd October 2011
Old 22nd October 2011
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to George Necola
People complain about HD beeing too expensive, they feel bad with the "update" policy.. Common! It's called protools.. Not hometools. If you can't afford it, use something else and stop complaining. Most of you buy iproducts which use the most offensive (and expensive) update policy ever.. And I hear little complaints.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Gearslutz.com
---------------------------------------------
www.georgenecola.com produce & mix itm/gear & fun

blog.georgenecola.com reviews & gear
22nd October 2011
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Which is fitting, because most users of Pro Tools get a chuckle out of people using other DAWs.
It cracks me up every time I see the "PT is finally catching up"! There is a lot that would have to change (catch up with PT) in Logic or Cubase for me to go back to either one of them being my main DAW. I own the current versions of both of them and I'm well aware of their features. The only thing they have over PT at the moment is the way they handle VI's and offline bounce. PT is fixing the issue with VI's with the new AAX format. As soon as they don't have to support a 10 year old TDM platform we will have offline bounce and 64bit. I'm glad they didn't use a bit bridge and that they are waiting til everything is ready before gong to 64bit. The bit bridge in logic and cubase is a joke at least on the Mac side. The only issue with PT 10 is the upgrade price. I fully agree that it's absurd!
stevens119
22nd October 2011
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaVogi View Post
I'm afraid you'll need CPTK... we tried it on our iMac yesterday with P10+CTPK.
Do you need the CPTK, or just HD or HD/Native?

For the home rig, all the other features will suffice. I completely get why it's 10 instead of 9.0.6. There's alot of stuff added. The RAM Cache is the only thing left out from regular 10, besides the normal HD stuff, like always a higher track count, and input monitoring and stuff like that
stevens119
22nd October 2011
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dankin View Post
It cracks me up every time I see the "PT is finally catching up"! There is a lot that would have to change (catch up with PT) in Logic or Cubase for me to go back to either one of them being my main DAW. I own the current versions of both of them and I'm well aware of their features. The only thing they have over PT at the moment is the way they handle VI's and offline bounce. PT is fixing the issue with VI's with the new AAX format. As soon as they don't have to support a 10 year old TDM platform we will have offline bounce and 64bit. I'm glad they didn't use a bit bridge and that they are waiting til everything is ready before gong to 64bit. The bit bridge in logic and cubase is a joke at least on the Mac side. The only issue with PT 10 is the upgrade price. I fully agree that it's absurd!
So...Cubase loads entire sessions into RAM for seamless playback as well? That's awesome
22nd October 2011
Old 22nd October 2011
Motown legend

Something a lot of people are missing is that their new file and clip gain features are going to make OMF conversions to and from other DAW platforms a whole lot easier.
Interview
Artists are the gatekeepers of truth! - Paul Robeson
22nd October 2011
Old 22nd October 2011
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by zak7 View Post
That and the good trade in offers for your old Accel rig, looks to me like a way for them to get current HD owners to go all the way...and switch to HDX.

My HD3 cards are almost 6 years old now, and have served me well...so there is an incentive to just take the plunge.
22nd October 2011
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
$299 for standard it's a no-brainer for me, and I just upgraded back in November. It costs to upgrade, even when it's was unexpected. I certainly wouldn't want to have to buy an upgrade so early, but all this stuff leaves me no choice. For what you get, I definitely think it's worth it. But at $999 The HD/Native rig may have to wait...The pricing on that seems very high, and there is really not much more you get than in the standard PT version.

Requires CPTK(2). Possible to get that + upgrade from PT9 for nearly the same price as the HD upgrade, or more (figure on a total cost of.. $1k or more. Likely more).

Quote:
4 times the amount of Delay Compensation. So I can basically run all UAD plugins on a channel if I want to with no delay. Nice

Clip Gain - I definitely need that. Look it up. I've needed this since I started. I hated level automation because I had to automate the whole track. Clip Gain is pre-inserts, pre-fader, pre-everything. Yeah, that's right.

Euphonix System 5 Channel Strip - If it sounds great, then I'm excited about that. A great sounding channel strip is worth $299 alone. Plus it's in a new plug-in format that will work natively and through DSP. It's called AAX. I guess AAX supports 64-bit plugins. RTAS and TDM will be gone in PT11
These are cool. Some of us have strips we like, or plug-in chains that will do this... but, nice to have choices.

Quote:
32 Bit (float)
Native PT has been 32-bit float from the git-go.

Quote:
Recording onto flash drives - that's sick. Who wouldn't want to be able to do that? Maybe it's possible because the sessions are loaded into ram?
I am unsure what this refers to. If it is being able to use a *portable drive*, I thought we could before; other DAWquencers have this. If it is as part of the RAM feature.. see above (CPTK(2) required).

Quote:
More functionality for Eucon - as if it needed any more integration
This was a no-brainer, expected addition. Definitely nice to see it officially added for those who own Eucon stuff.

Quote:
Global Solo and Mute buttons - useful for high track counts where you can't find what you solo'ed
Baffled that it took this long. Now if PT (non-TDM/HDX users) could get that lovely green "I" button )

Quote:
Bouncing to iTunes - useful. I import everything into iTunes after I record it, so it's one less step. I thought it was unnecessary, but still cool. Why not save me 30 seconds
iTunes is horrid to me (Windows user on one machine, OSX on my MBP). Their music store irks me more (3 albums with source-side corruptions, they refused to fix the source files... even after 2 years; I buy albums, not singles)

Quote:
Real Time Fades - really? No more missing fade files...Thank god. Missing fades was a real annoyance for me. Plus it makes sessions open and close much faster due to not having to render fades
HUGE!!!

Quote:
Audiosuite updates - Targets now in Audiosuite. So you can have more than one open at once. Also, window configurations so you can keep the settings for whatever audiosuite plugins you had open. Can't tell you how many times I went back up to audiosuite something and I forgot to save the settings I used previously
HUGE!!!

Quote:
The mix engines are the same in PT10 and PT10 HD, meaning your sessions will sounds the same on both

Stereo Interleaved tracks are interleaved instead of PT making them into two mono tracks. So when you go to your audio files folder, you stereo tracks will be stereo instead of "Piano_L" "Piano_R"

Low latency monitoring for 3rd party interfaces. This is great, because it wasn't in PT9. Not a necessity, but necessary
I can understand the impact of these for others, and am happy for them.

Quote:
I have seen some "why not 64-bit?" threads, and the reasonings vary. As a "transitional version," it works IMO. I do not care about any reasons stated, simply because I already parsed my own when they presented everything. Good move, but the pricing... more of a "disincentive."

Quote:
Some of these features may be in other DAW's. That's good...for people that use other DAW's. For me, I only care about what features are in Pro Tools, because that's what I use. I am as impressed with this new feature set as I was when I heard about ADC in PT9. A few more things to make job easier.
PT, like every DAWquencer, is unique. Much like humans, there are general similarities, but as we begin to dig even a little, the differences become quite apparent. It comes down to comfort, needs, and what accommodates best for each user.. or what they are paid to like in some situations. For every DAWquencer, there will be an... (ugh.. smack me..).. avid group of users.
22nd October 2011
Old 22nd October 2011
Lives for gear

Totally agree

I've tried with PT9 to get a Flash drive to "Write". It wouldn't do it, so it apparently works in Pro Tools now.

The RAM Cache is available in HD without the CPTK though right?

The Euphonix controllers have had ALOT of firmware updates lately, so I was a little surprised that they are offering more after I just updated them a couple weeks ago.

Try using the sharing function in iTunes. It's pretty cool. You can play any songs from either computer.

It would be cool if they integrated "codec previewing" like that Sonnox plugin into pro tools. That would be useful. At least you would have more, and higher quality choices than in iTunes

BTW...I'm Downloading PT10 HD and and transferring the license to my iLok...RIGHT NOW ---- d/l time "2 mins left"

Edit : working great. The "Disk Playback" Cache is just amazing. I couldn't make it crash. So, I guess...no more pinwheels, and more work getting done. Those pinwheels are a vibe killer. It's worth the update for the smooth session factor
The only problem I can find at all, so far, is all the plugin presets have mysteriously disappeared.
Also, you can apparently "purchase" plugins inside Pro Tools. Interesting. But kinda unnecessary
23rd October 2011
Old 23rd October 2011
Lives for gear

RAM caching is HD and CPTK(2), yes.

itunes will never be on my Windows machine again. Just like McApee/Norton and a host of others. If I could avoid using it on my MBP as well I would. Instead, I just sync folders between my desktop and netdrive. However...

With RAM caching, I suppose I could grab a larger, dedicated netdrive and not worry about syncing.

I will not comment on HD, so as to avoid being chastised
(and yes, I actually understand the pricing decision... and could explain it as well. Incredibly simple and solid reasoning.)
23rd October 2011
Old 23rd October 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill@WelcomeHome View Post
Most users of other DAWs get a chuckle out of the new features, many of which have been included in other DAWs for years. Few of those DAWs cost $1500, let alone charge such an upgrade fee.
My thoughts exactly.
23rd October 2011
Old 23rd October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
For those complaining about 64-bit, there is a reason. The older Blue HD interfaces are not compatible with 64-bit.
That right there is marketing BS through and through. Every other converter ever made by man kind can still convert at it's internal bit depth, which can still be passed to apps that address 64 bit of ram except the digi blues? Not possible. Simply a lie on avid's part, and a poor one at that.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search