stedi
30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Gear interested

[Trance] MVS - Reach

30th January 2013
Old 30th January 2013
Gear addict

I find it important to have a good reverb, it can make such a huge difference. As for delay, I can even use the simple sample delay that comes with Logic (in case you do), it has only 2 faders but it can do wonders.

Basically one of the faders is for the left channel, the other for the right one. So you can delay one side of the stereo channel, and you will have a huge effect. It will make the sound track very wide. Just want to share this

As for your trackā€¦ I'm listening right now. Sounds good so far. Nice effects with all the percussions, cymbals, etc. I like that

Nice progressive way into the break. Good calm atmosphere.

The main part is good too. Seriously I think you have the basics to make a solid track already, I'd focus on improving stuff now. Invest some money into proper plugins, it can make a huge difference. Get a good saturation plugin, a good EQ, a few good compressors, a good reverb. That's the most important if you ask me. And of course good instruments.

Keep it up
stedi
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear interested

FL Studio and Fruity Delay 2 here :D Gets the job done for me.

I'm glad you liked the song. There's a lot of stuff that I made better than before but also a lot of stuff I'm not so happy with now that I've got fresh ears on it. The build is almost anticlimatic. It's always the hardest part for me. And the groove isn't quite what I imagined it would be. Went probably a bit crazy with the percussion actually. Sounds good on its own but perhaps doesn't do what I wanted.

I have a list of plugins to buy but a saturator is something that I've never even considered to be honest. My reference guide has been for a while Bobby Owsinski's Mixing Engineer's Handbook. Great book but it really doesn't address the whole saturation thing. But now that I think of it I am pretty sure that it would produce the kind of warmth/punch I've been looking for, so I'm definitely going to look for one of those bad boys. Any recommendations?

Anyways thanks for the feedback and pointers. It always helps keeping the learning curve nice and steep.
1st February 2013
Old 1st February 2013
Gear addict

I use Fabfilter Saturn, I have almost all their other plugins It's an excellent plugin and I didn't even pay it that much. But that was because I had bought other plugins from them before, basically when you buy a plugin you will never pay the same price for their other plugins, you will automatically have a discount on everything else. (as soon as you buy one plugin)
The more you buy then, the more discount you get on each plugin.
It definitely helps getting that warm sound, but you can even use it for highs, it can make sounds pierce through the track.

If you're having difficulties to find how to make a certain groove or certain sound, seriously, the best trick is to open a project and practice. Make some kicks, a bass, and practice with that. Keep that as your template then. Later, when you're doing a real song, you can use this technique that you've worked on.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search