Question re; rendering multichannel outputs
lemix
11th June 2014
Old 11th June 2014
Gear maniac

Question re; rendering multichannel outputs

Over the last four or so years I had to move away from Protools , my workplace runs a Nuendo install.
On a regular basis I need to send out my mixes on 4 channels ( DX and premixed segments + music and fxs ) back to our editors for the 1 hour program finish.
It all works well, never any problem.

Now an idea is floating around to dump Nuendo and use PT, because of Avid compatibility, editshare, etc..
I wouldn't mind, except two things;

1) my PT chops are all but gone ( used PT 6.xx to 9.xx for years comfortably before ) and our deadlines are super tight ( weekly TV programs, 4 languages )
2) I don't recall PT is able to bounce a 4 channel mix faster than real time in one pass.

So, could anyone please update me on which current version would support this?

Any response would be highly appreciated.
11th June 2014
Old 11th June 2014
Gear addict

ProTools 11 now supports faster than real time bounce.
lemix
12th June 2014
Old 12th June 2014
Gear maniac

Thanx Jeff,

Is the basic non DSP version of 11 capable to render out a 4 or 5.1 channel discreet audio mix ?
12th June 2014
Old 12th June 2014
Gear maniac

I believe that the basic version of Pro Tools 11 is limited to mono and stereo tracks. But, you can bounce up to 16 different stems at a time. Depending on how you set up your session, you could accomplish what you want. The easiest solution would be to get a HD Native system that gets you all the goodies. I don't know what your budget is though...

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemix View Post
Thanx Jeff,

Is the basic non DSP version of 11 capable to render out a 4 or 5.1 channel discreet audio mix ?
lemix
12th June 2014
Old 12th June 2014
Gear maniac

Yes Gents, thanx.

I was kind of afraid of that..I have been bouncing multichannel mixes out on Nuendo for the last four years.
The budget will not allow to go HD, for other reasons too.

We need a new computer, need to record VO's without latency and have 32 I/O capability between our console and the DAW. On top of that LTC and WC lock.

The decision to go Mac/Pro tools is from editors and upper management.
I don't think they are aware of the new Mac Pro / PT build situation.

Again, thank you for letting me know.

Last edited by lemix; 12th June 2014 at 05:11 PM.. Reason: grammer
13th June 2014
Old 13th June 2014
Lives for gear
I don't know if it's entirely up to date but the video playback engine still has issues in PT11. If you're using another machine for video though then it's not an issue AFAIK.

I really suggest you should be using PT HD for post work. I've got PT standard at home and it's fine for editing but the extra stuff you get in HD is worth it IMHO.
13th June 2014
Old 13th June 2014
Lives for gear

Yes, for serious post work it is still Pro Tools HD. The simpler version is fine at many things, but for post production you'll need many features that are only available in PTHD.
Now, with the brand new Blackmagic drivers most video issues has been solved in PT11.
13th June 2014
Old 13th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsSka View Post
I don't know if it's entirely up to date but the video playback engine still has issues in PT11. If you're using another machine for video though then it's not an issue AFAIK.
Not anymore since 11.1.3
13th June 2014
Old 13th June 2014
Lives for gear
That's good to know. It been a whole since I've used PT 11.

How's the reliability of an offline/fast bounce/print? Anybody experienced any problems?
13th June 2014
Old 13th June 2014
Gear maniac

I did a phase cancellation test on something that I bounced vs something that I printed in realtime.

99% of the show cancelled completely. I had a few small issues where I was hitting the stem limiters and it didn't cancel completely, but mostly.

Some plug ins that rely on randomization of sounds, GRM doppler in my case, will not cancel out.

It was 42 minutes of material that was bounced out in about 6 minutes. All in all I was pretty pleased.

Keep in mind that you can only use Native plug ins. Bouncing will not work with AAX DSP plug ins as far as I know. I have no experience with using external hardware. I cannot imagine that this would work with that either.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisIsSka View Post
That's good to know. It been a whole since I've used PT 11.

How's the reliability of an offline/fast bounce/print? Anybody experienced any problems?
13th June 2014
Old 13th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
I did a phase cancellation test on something that I bounced vs something that I printed in realtime.

99% of the show cancelled completely. I had a few small issues where I was hitting the stem limiters and it didn't cancel completely, but mostly.

Some plug ins that rely on randomization of sounds, GRM doppler in my case, will not cancel out.

It was 42 minutes of material that was bounced out in about 6 minutes. All in all I was pretty pleased.

Keep in mind that you can only use Native plug ins. Bouncing will not work with AAX DSP plug ins as far as I know. I have no experience with using external hardware. I cannot imagine that this would work with that either.

Randall
Bouncing absolutely works with Aax dsp. It just used the native version for the bounce, which are identical to the dsp now.
13th June 2014
Old 13th June 2014
Gear maniac

Yes, it will switch to the AAX Native version when one is available. What happens when a Native version of a AAX DSP plug in is not available?

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandoncross View Post
Bouncing absolutely works with Aax dsp. It just used the native version for the bounce, which are identical to the dsp now.
13th June 2014
Old 13th June 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by quadraphonics View Post
Yes, it will switch to the AAX Native version when one is available. What happens when a Native version of a AAX DSP plug in is not available?

Randall
Are there AAX-DSP only plug ins? I know there are Native-Only, but I had no idea that there were DSP specific plugs still.
14th June 2014
Old 14th June 2014
Lives for gear

I had a few offline bounce problem, every time it was related whether to some plugin which has some sort of randomisation, or if I had for example dialogue denoiser on certain tracks. Those things still need to be printed.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search