Maverick compatible with Logic 8?
JeannaG
3rd January 2014
Old 3rd January 2014
Gear interested

Unhappy Maverick compatible with Logic 8?

I have searched high and low and no forum's seem to answer my question.

Like a really not smart person, I installed the free download of OS X Maverick when it first came out without reading reviews. Well, once the download was done, I went onto Logic 8 to record and every time I hit play or record, the playhead tracker moved across the screen covering my workspace in black. Once I hit stop or pause I could see all but this caused a very annoying and potentially serious problem!

So I went back in time machine to my original Mountain Lion and have stayed there ever since.

However, now I have software that I can't use because they are only formatted for Maverick.

Simple question: Will Logic 8 run off of Maverick or will I need to upgrade to Logic X?
3rd January 2014
Old 3rd January 2014
Gear nut

do yourself a favour and upgrade to Logic X. Mavericks compatibility aside, it really runs far smoother than any of its predecessors.
JeannaG
4th January 2014
Old 4th January 2014
Gear interested

I'm sure it does georgi but with limited means and the fact that I'm super comfortable with the DAW that I have I want to explore EVERY possible option.
4th January 2014
Old 4th January 2014
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeannaG View Post
I'm sure it does georgi but with limited means and the fact that I'm super comfortable with the DAW that I have I want to explore EVERY possible option.
I understand. I had terrible problems with Logic 9 in Mac OSX 10.8, so I wouldn't bet on Logic 8 playing nice with 10.9, especially since the latter has the habit of suspending unsuspecting apps in the middle of work, be it realtime-class or not.. Also not surprised about graphics issues. Too much Carbon in Logic 8.
JeannaG
6th January 2014
Old 6th January 2014
Gear interested

That was what I was afraid of :( Just wanted to see if anyone other than me had tried so thanks for the confirm.... At least Logic X is only 200 as opposed to the 5or600 it used to be!!
6th January 2014
Old 6th January 2014
Gear addict

I've played around with my old Logic 8 install on 10.9, and while it seems to function fairly well, I've encountered a weird GUI issue where the timeline turns black as the playhead moves.

Also note that the Logic 8 installers do not work under 10.9 (or 10.7+, IIRC).
JeannaG
7th January 2014
Old 7th January 2014
Gear interested

Insomaniac,

If I were to upgrade to Logic X, would I be able to go back to old projects that were formatted in 8 and either open as 8 or open with 10?
7th January 2014
Old 7th January 2014
Lives for gear

I imported over 70 projects into Logic X over the past two days that were from versions Logic 7 through 9. No issues.

Logic X will open older projects (v7.4 and up), but once imported, you cannot open the new Logic X files in older versions.
I should mention that I am running Mountain Lion. Cannot speak to how that works in Mavericks.

Cdlt

Last edited by Melgueil; 7th January 2014 at 06:36 AM.. Reason: add
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search