New Reply
Subscribe
14th September 2013
Old 14th September 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
Very cool. That makes me happy.

I've worked on a system 5 and the knobs weren't touch sensitive but it must be an older model. It doesn't look like the current system 5 on the AVID site. The knobs on the ones I worked on were a lot wider with LEDs in the top of the knob.

Anyway, glad to hear it!
Yes, you work on the first System5 model. The "System5 MC" has touch sensitive knobs (the ones with the led ring in the lower part of the knob).
14th September 2013
Old 14th September 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent_in_Sydney View Post
Question is, will it take ICON and improve on it?

Will it provide:
Vca spill
Custom fader groups
Custom fader groups easier to create than icon?
Custom plugin mapping?
Custom groups with mix of faders and plugin parameters?
Import export of above through protools import session data window?

If not at ship (which is my guess, making it a less flexible product than the one it replaced) how long till these features are available over eucon?
It will all come later on on ES model
14th September 2013
Old 14th September 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnOmix View Post
Also glad I bought Avid stock a few days ago ;-)
Well, this is not wise at all. Never buy stocks when they are going down.
Exception is if you put on short of course.
14th September 2013
Old 14th September 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
That's what we could think about Apple stock back in 2002 when it was worth $7 (going down from the $24 in 2000)... but 10 years later in 2012, it was worth $700

Like many I often ask myself: Why didn't I buy for $10K of Apple stock back in 2002? I'd have been millionaire by 2012
14th September 2013
Old 14th September 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Never buy or sell stocks on the price trend
14th September 2013
Old 14th September 2013
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etch-A-Sketch View Post
5 years. That's it. As of Sept 2018, the ICON will be officially dead in the water to AVID. On Avid's website they said they will continue to support the ICON for the next 5 years and that's it. After that everyone has to switch over to the S6 to get support, product updates, etc. I think that is kind of stupid.

Also, I can't find mention of it anywhere, has anyone seen if the knobs on the channel strip modules are touch sensitive like they are on the ICON? That is one thing I never liked about the Euphonix and C24. I hate having to do "touch/latch". After I do my first write/latch pass, I like to just leave everything in touch and not worry about it. Yes I know, it's my own little pet peeve. But it's nice to have touch sensitive knobs on the ICON.
End of Life for the Black (ES) version of the Icon is 2018. Mine is the original version and it is End of Life December 2014. Hopefully Avid doesn't have some way of locking out the older versions from ProTools software support.

End of Support - Dates

Last edited by piratepost; 14th September 2013 at 07:16 PM.. Reason: Addition
14th September 2013
Old 14th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratepost View Post
End of Life for the Black (ES) version of the Icon is 2018. Mine is the original version and it is End of Life December 2014. Hopefully Avid doesn't have some way of locking out the older versions from ProTools software support.

End of Support - Dates
There is a huge difference between "Not Supported" and "Incompatible".
14th September 2013
Old 14th September 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
It will all come later on on ES model
I would hope that the S6 has all the features the Artist Series has but an Icon doesn't, like:

* custom arbitrary fader layouts, saved and recalled by name and saved with the session, allowing some faders to be hard assigned to tracks, others to cascade with the mix window, others to follow the attentioned tracks, and yet others to be blank and have no assignment at all.

* custom touchscreen/surface buttons. Hopefully they would extend the implementation of this to allow you to save touchscreen layouts in per-user profiles.
14th September 2013
Old 14th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by piratepost View Post

End of Support - Dates
You mean like they did with the Procontrol, which becomes a paper weight in PT11.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0206743/
Henchman
14th September 2013
Old 14th September 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
You mean like they did with the Procontrol, which becomes a paper weight in PT11.
Yeah. A good 20 odd years after it was released.

Can you run a Mac from 20 years ago, on today's OS?
Nope.
Henchman
14th September 2013
Old 14th September 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

And I pretty much remember the System 5 knobs being touch sensitive.
But it's been awhile.
So I could be wrong.
14th September 2013
Old 14th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Yeah. A good 20 odd years after it was released.

Can you run a Mac from 20 years ago, on today's OS?
Nope.
1998 = Pro Control release

It's old, but it's not 20 yrs old (yet).
Henchman
14th September 2013
Old 14th September 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Wow. I seriously thought it was.
So, 15 years ago.
14th September 2013
Old 14th September 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spid View Post
That's what we could think about Apple stock back in 2002 when it was worth $7 (going down from the $24 in 2000)... but 10 years later in 2012, it was worth $700

Like many I often ask myself: Why didn't I buy for $10K of Apple stock back in 2002? I'd have been millionaire by 2012
With no offence (read on) the stock market exists because of people like you.
They think: why I didn't do it then and rushing to invest their all money in today trendy stock, later finding themselves loosing at best 50% of their money if not more.
You could buy Apple in April 2010 with relatively low risk to lose.
And you can be very careful if you're thinking of buying it now.

I personally lost allot of money by thinking I can understand and analyse stock exchange market in any predictable way.
Peace!
Attached Thumbnails
Euphonix S6-screen-shot-2013-09-15-12.01.43-am.png  
14th September 2013
Old 14th September 2013
Lives for gear

Just got back to my cosy hotel room in Amsterdam, and here are my first impressions of the S6:

First off, the Avid / Euphonix team did a great job! Kudos to Eddie Jones over at Avid for bringing this project to life.
The desk (as in "controller") has all the bells and whistles you could expect from something built in 2013, including ( and not limited to) LED lighting that auto- adapts to ambient light, easy access to channels with a swipe of the main display, plenty of gorgeous looking meters on the TFT screens ( and even small meters on the channel select function of the main screen), and of course touch sensitive encoders.
The depth from armrest to screen is a bit more than on a S5, which some could find a bit too much. I find the depth of the S5 modules ideal, but the S6 is closer to that of a D-Control.

Customization options abound for the M40 system. All that is required for a bank is that you have a fader module. With that you can then install a process module ( one knob and function select buttons), and if a process module is indeed installed you can install one or two knobs modules. Banks can be built differently, you don't need to have the same module layout for each one.

I would have preferred the solo and mute switches to be a lighter colour, as nearly all the switches are black and they don't really stand out.

Looking forward to seeing more of this. Definitely!

Sent from my TF101 with Tapatalk

Paris, France
Heavy Nuendo users

"I don't care what they're talking about, I just want a nice fat recording" Harry Caul
My blog: http://www.filmmixer.eu
14th September 2013
Old 14th September 2013
Lives for gear

Oh and concerning the System5 , early versions ( until around 2006) had the so- called " fat knobs" which were not touch sensitive.
After the S5-MC was introduced ( controller with Eucon), the System5 and S5-Fusion had the same 408-T fader modules which have the slimmer touch sensitive encoders.

14th September 2013
Old 14th September 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSt0rm View Post
They could support it longer then that. The control 24 was. By law they have to support the product for 5 years after being discontinued.
Dude...if you're ever charged with anything don't try being your own lawyer yourself...

There is no such law in the US. Some US government contracts require that a product must be supported for "X" number of years following its discontinuation, but there is no law requiring it.

And in most US states I could sell something and offer zero support after the sale...
14th September 2013
Old 14th September 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
With no offence (read on) the stock market exists because of people like you.
No offense taken, my $10K-millionaire comment was ironic (I thought it was obvious), saying that it's always easier to say something when we know what happened... It's another story to bet on what will happen.
15th September 2013
Old 15th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven1145 View Post
Just got back to my cosy hotel room in Amsterdam, and here are my first impressions of the S6:

First off, the Avid / Euphonix team did a great job! Kudos to Eddie Jones over at Avid for bringing this project to life.
The desk (as in "controller") has all the bells and whistles you could expect from something built in 2013, including ( and not limited to) LED lighting that auto- adapts to ambient light, easy access to channels with a swipe of the main display, plenty of gorgeous looking meters on the TFT screens ( and even small meters on the channel select function of the main screen), and of course touch sensitive encoders.
The depth from armrest to screen is a bit more than on a S5, which some could find a bit too much. I find the depth of the S5 modules ideal, but the S6 is closer to that of a D-Control.

Customization options abound for the M40 system. All that is required for a bank is that you have a fader module. With that you can then install a process module ( one knob and function select buttons), and if a process module is indeed installed you can install one or two knobs modules. Banks can be built differently, you don't need to have the same module layout for each one.

I would have preferred the solo and mute switches to be a lighter colour, as nearly all the switches are black and they don't really stand out.

Did you try the touch-screen workflows for accessing inserts and sends ?

Share everything !!
22nd September 2013
Old 22nd September 2013
Lives for gear

Steven, how good a job does the s6 do in replacing the mc pro for editing and programming/recalling layouts?

I am on the fence if we should get a m10 or get a used cm408t/mc pro in addition to our current 5MC

Quote:

22nd September 2013
Old 22nd September 2013
Lives for gear

What struck me is that the S6 is no longer an "editing" controller like the MC-Pro, it is firmly aimed at mixing. On the MC Pro you can really be in a comfortable "hands on" mode for editing, with all the editing functions laid out around your hands.
Concerning Layouts, I must say I didn't see how they were created or recalled, but I'm sure that it is probably as simple as either the S5 or the S5-MC.
22nd September 2013
Old 22nd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airon View Post
Did you try the touch-screen workflows for accessing inserts and sends ?

Share everything !!
No I must say was more concentrated on how the process modules accessed features. It was a short visit for me.
22nd September 2013
Old 22nd September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
What struck me is that the S6 is no longer an "editing" controller like the MC-Pro, it is firmly aimed at mixing. On the MC Pro you can really be in a comfortable "hands on" mode for editing, with all the editing functions laid out around your hands.
Concerning Layouts, I must say I didn't see how they were created or recalled, but I'm sure that it is probably as simple as either the S5 or the S5-MC.
This is what concerns me with what I have seen on videos.
For our use, we need to edit and mix at the same station
22nd September 2013
Old 22nd September 2013
Gear nut

I don't understand why they are dropping the MC Pro. We have 3 system 5 mc and I spent the last two years creating macros to improve our workflows. Yes, I am an MC Pro Junky. I don't see myself using something else now or in 5 more years.

The MC pro will never be beaten in term of ergonomy for editing. We configured 2 system with the MC Pro on the extreme right side which make it both a really good editing and mixing surface.

For me this is way more attractive than buying a new controller (s6) just for mixing...
23rd September 2013
Old 23rd September 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGolfer View Post
I don't understand why they are dropping the MC Pro.
You may know better, but I was always under the impression that MC Pros were either stupendously overpriced, or priced out of the range of most editors -- I've worked at most of the studio sound departments in LA and I've never seen one installed, except as part of a supervisor's personal gear. I know some small shops that use them in their main rooms, but these rooms book out at a price level way above what a designer/editor would pay and are primarily for mixing. My impression is that if you booked a room with an MC Pro, and you found yourself using the MC Pro in that room a lot, you were probably spending money on the wrong room -- and editing room can be had for a week, for the amount of money you spend on a day in an MC Pro-equipped mix room. (I guess shops that do commercial/industrial work might do things different, I dunno).

Anyways, something like an MC Control gets you 50% of an MC Pro's features for about 1/50th the price, and it's compatible with $1,000 fader buckets, not $10,000 ones. There has been, historically, a huge gap in the product lines between the entry-level control surfaces and the professional ones, and Avid seems to be trying to close this a bit.
23rd September 2013
Old 23rd September 2013
Gear nut

I agree. The Artist MC does almost everything the MC Pro is doing and some stuff the MC Pro can't do. The mass market is way more lucrative for Avid and I can't blame them for that. Unfortunately I can't see myself working on the Artist series because of its ergonomic.

I am sure there will many happy system 6 users because it looks like a great controller , but since I am doing as much editing than mixing, I will hold down to the system 5 MC as long as I can.

But I think I'm getting off topic. Now back to the system 6.
24th September 2013
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

Send a message via ICQ to ~ufo~ Send a message via Yahoo to ~ufo~
You guys do realise that this was a pre production model of a MODULAR system right?

IF the master section as is doesn't cater well enough to the power editors, then creating and releasing a module like the MC Pro is quite feasible.

Now, I've never worked on a MC Pro, but by the looks of it it doesn't have THAT much more than the S6 centre section. It just seems laid out more vertically than horizontally.
is that the issue?
Our Facebook
Our LinkedIn
Our MySpace
24th September 2013
Old 24th September 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
You guys do realise that this was a pre production model of a MODULAR system right?

IF the master section as is doesn't cater well enough to the power editors, then creating and releasing a module like the MC Pro is quite feasible.

Now, I've never worked on a MC Pro, but by the looks of it it doesn't have THAT much more than the S6 centre section. It just seems laid out more vertically then horizontally.
is that the issue?
It is hard to say until one has sat down with the s6 for a day of editing.
I certainly hope they create a dedicated edit module. Personally I really like the large oled buttons on the Pro and would love to see an edid module made with the same size buttons and possibly even higher resolution.

The Pro is pretty hard to beat for editing
25th September 2013
Old 25th September 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~ufo~ View Post
I'm a little mystified by the suggestion that Avid, upon discovering their gear doesn't cater well to the needs of editors, would do anything.

These are the same people who sold an "Edit" Pack that contained a keyboard that was too small for editing, and its main draw was surround panners which mere "editors" never use.
26th September 2013
Old 26th September 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulpini View Post
What I heard:
M10 starts at $21,995
M40 starts at $43,480
Way over priced you could buy a used SSL for that.... As usual avid shooting for the stars on there price point.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search