Login / Register
 
Jodie Foster ADR Elysium
New Reply
Subscribe
smithy2617
Thread Starter
#1
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
  #1
Gear Head
 
smithy2617's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: London UK
Posts: 43

Thread Starter
smithy2617 is offline
Jodie Foster ADR Elysium

Hey Guys

Was it me or was Jodie Foster's ADR terrible in elysium??

Im kinda hoping it was just the cinema i was in but the sync of it was horrible!! There was also lines that cleanly didn't work with her lip moment!

Did anyone else notice this??

Dan
Quote
2
#2
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,377

mattiasnyc is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy2617 View Post
Hey Guys

Was it me or was Jodie Foster's ADR terrible in elysium??

Im kinda hoping it was just the cinema i was in but the sync of it was horrible!! There was also lines that cleanly didn't work with her lip moment!

Did anyone else notice this??

Dan
Yeah, I had the EXACT same experience as you. I mean, exactly.

Sometimes working in post completely sucks, because as soon as I saw and heard that the movie was "done" for me. I never got over it. I thought both the performance and the sync were awful.
Quote
2
#3
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 700

sailor is offline
I was also thrown off by the weird accent she affected. Maybe that had some impact on ADR delivery.

I was generally put off by the whole film, actually....but that's a little OT I suppose.
__________________
Joe Just
#4
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
  #4
Lives for gear
 
musicl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 749

musicl is online now
How did this get released without quality control on that massive budget? It's very amateur stuff, almost like it the vocal was nudged way out by accident.
#5
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
  #5
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 964

dr.sound is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicl View Post
How did this get released without quality control on that massive budget? It's very amateur stuff, almost like it the vocal was nudged way out by accident.
QC? Like there is a guy who says" This is out of sync, stop the movie release".
Really? There is an ADR Supervisor, a Dialog Re-Recording Mixer, a Picture Editor, a Director and Producers. Isn't that enough "QC"?
__________________
Marti D. Humphrey CAS aka dr.sound
www.thedubstage.com
Imdb credits http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0401937/
Like everything in life, there are no guarantee's just opportunities.
Quote
1
#6
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
  #6
Gear Head
 
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 61

DEAN HUMPHREYS is offline
There is an ADR Supervisor, a Dialog Re-Recording Mixer, a Picture Editor, a Director and Producers. Isn't that enough "QC"?

Clearly it's nowhere near enough if the previous comments are correct!
Quote
1
smithy2617
Thread Starter
#7
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
  #7
Gear Head
 
smithy2617's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: London UK
Posts: 43

Thread Starter
smithy2617 is offline
Yeah i thought her "english" accent wasnt partially great! I thought the action of the film was great. Sci-fi is my favourite genre so i was impressed with the SFXs but the ADR just ruined it for me!!
#8
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,377

mattiasnyc is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post
QC? Like there is a guy who says" This is out of sync, stop the movie release".
Really? There is an ADR Supervisor, a Dialog Re-Recording Mixer, a Picture Editor, a Director and Producers. Isn't that enough "QC"?
If sloppy sync is ok, then "yes, that's enough 'QC'".

Did you see the movie? I thought her dialog completely destroyed any chance of her giving a good performance in that film. It's annoying when spending one's cash on a big budget film like that with basic flaws like that.
Quote
2
#9
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,377

mattiasnyc is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithy2617 View Post
Yeah i thought her "english" accent wasnt partially great! I thought the action of the film was great. Sci-fi is my favourite genre so i was impressed with the SFXs but the ADR just ruined it for me!!
My favourite genre too. I had expectations that matched what the film was, so I wasn't all that surprised I guess. But I thought the story was simplistic, the storytelling heavy-handed, this ADR awful, and some of the acting sub-par. Overall a film I will have forgotten pretty quickly, sadly.

To me this film seemed like one of those where you get a talented set of people together, but spend a lot of money and therefore have a bunch of guys in suits make decisions they shouldn't be making. Unless I'm wrong about the talent of these people (director, actors etc).
Quote
2
#10
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
  #10
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: NYC
Posts: 700

sailor is offline
#11
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
  #11
Lives for gear
 
musicl's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: UK
Posts: 749

musicl is online now
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post
QC? Like there is a guy who says" This is out of sync, stop the movie release".
Really? There is an ADR Supervisor, a Dialog Re-Recording Mixer, a Picture Editor, a Director and Producers. Isn't that enough "QC"?
Maybe there is a misunderstanding comrade.
That chain might not be enough if something as obviously bad as the sync is being released!

It's like someone lent on the nudge key for too long and didn't check before pressing export.
Quote
1
#12
4th September 2013
Old 4th September 2013
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Burbank, CA
Posts: 964

dr.sound is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by musicl View Post
Maybe there is a misunderstanding comrade.
That chain might not be enough if something as obviously bad as the sync is being released!

It's like someone lent on the nudge key for too long and didn't check before pressing export.
Well, I have not seen it as I have been working on another blockbuster film right now.
As a guy who does this for a living let me mention two other possibilities:
One, maybe the Director wanted it that way (it does happen) OR
What they Print Mastered and what the DCP final picture was is two different
things and the release schedule did not allow them to go back and fix it.
This also does happen.
#13
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
  #13
Gear addict
 
mgoorevich's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Tel Aviv

mgoorevich is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post
Well, I have not seen it as I have been working on another blockbuster film right now.
As a guy who does this for a living let me mention two other possibilities:
One, maybe the Director wanted it that way (it does happen) OR
What they Print Mastered and what the DCP final picture was is two different
things and the release schedule did not allow them to go back and fix it.
This also does happen.
Agree.
But it's not consistent.
E.g: In the scene where she speaks in front of the president of Elysium (beginning, her first speech), her lip synch is totally off synch about 4-6 frames. The next shot where the president replies to her is in synch. I don't believe they cut a reel in the middle of the scene...so this could in some way cause this issue when producing the DCP.

BTW: Who said it is an ADR? Why do you think so?
__________________
Michael Goorevich
www.goorevich.com
#14
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
  #14
Gear interested
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Posts: 26

abes is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.sound View Post
QC? Like there is a guy who says" This is out of sync, stop the movie release".
Really? There is an ADR Supervisor, a Dialog Re-Recording Mixer, a Picture Editor, a Director and Producers. Isn't that enough "QC"?
Yes, there is a guy/girl who passes and fails movies just on what you have said. And the best thing is, YOU/THE COMPANY have to pay THEM to QC the film. So if QC are having a quiet month, they could just fail a film, make you re-do the work which they think is wrong, and then you have to pay them again!

I've not seen the film yet, but I looking forward to seeing this ADR sync issue.

BTW, was the sync issue in UK cinemas? This is where I'll be watching it.

But there are so many factors involved in-between the dub and video transfers, that it could have been QC that messed it up themselves!
smithy2617
Thread Starter
#15
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
  #15
Gear Head
 
smithy2617's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2012
Location: London UK
Posts: 43

Thread Starter
smithy2617 is offline
BTW, was the sync issue in UK cinemas? This is where I'll be watching it.

Yeah i watched it in London and thats where i noticed it...
#16
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
  #16
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Moncton, NB, Canada
Posts: 223

paranerd is offline
I noticed it too. And the film was OK. Too predictable which is a shame because I really enjoyed District 9.
__________________
The Postman Post-Production Studio
Moncton, NB, Canada

IMDb
#17
5th September 2013
Old 5th September 2013
  #17
Gear maniac
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 263

quadraphonics is offline
Unfortunate stuff happens sometimes...Remember that the first reel of Titanic was shipped to theaters several frames out of sync too....

Randall
#18
5th March 2014
Old 5th March 2014
  #18
Gear interested
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Posts: 21

shock is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by abes View Post
Yes, there is a guy/girl who passes and fails movies just on what you have said. And the best thing is, YOU/THE COMPANY have to pay THEM to QC the film. So if QC are having a quiet month, they could just fail a film, make you re-do the work which they think is wrong, and then you have to pay them again!!
Sorry to revive such an old thread. This is certainly true for TV, but I've never ever on any of my cinema-mixes had a "QC guy/girl" who could "pass or fail" a movie. It's, as Marti said: the sound team, the director and the producers, and we had the Dolby consultant back in the days. No such thing as QC-companies on theatrical.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Topic:
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.