Stereo to 5.1 mix help please.
Vidiau
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear interested

Stereo to 5.1 mix help please.

Hi guys so, long story short, I got into an indie feature film last minute to mix the film. the problem is I only have a stereo to work with and nothing was recorded with 5.1 in mind. Could someone please help me out? Currently im thinking the only way for me to do this for them would be for me to spread front L+R and spill them to the LsRs and then spill the music across.

But i really feel this isnt what should be done. Should I instead do:

1: Left
2:Right
3: Center
4: Lfe
5 nothing
6 nothing

But this dosnt feel correct either.
I have been given 3 weeks to do this, you see the pickle im in?

Please help!

- Stressing Student.
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear maniac

What have you been given? Is it the mix session, stems or the Print Master?

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidiau View Post
Hi guys so, long story short, I got into an indie feature film last minute to mix the film. the problem is I only have a stereo to work with and nothing was recorded with 5.1 in mind. Could someone please help me out? Currently im thinking the only way for me to do this for them would be for me to spread front L+R and spill them to the LsRs and then spill the music across.

But i really feel this isnt what should be done. Should I instead do:

1: Left
2:Right
3: Center
4: Lfe
5 nothing
6 nothing

But this dosnt feel correct either.
I have been given 3 weeks to do this, you see the pickle im in?

Please help!

- Stressing Student.
Vidiau
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear interested

I have the OMF mix session. so all the audio and music separate.

(I have Music, SFX, Foley, and on set recordings but i have no Background sound, everything has dialogue over it)

My issue is I have no additional sound for the surround so I'm not at all sure what to do for the LsRs as it has dialogue over it. - The audio recordings were also very poor. so much stress! haha.
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

Yah. You probably have your typical OMF edit.
So, you need to cut sfx, bgs and foley.
And cut it in 5.1
Your dialog most likely isn't stereo, but simply mono. So you need to do a dialog edit.
And in the mix clean up all the dialog as you go.

Welcome to audio post.
Hope you weren't expecting a completely edited session from the picture editor, because that's not how it works.

A movie is never recorded on set in 5.1
It's created in post.
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

You need to grab some dvds of similar films and listen to them critically. Dialog generally goes to the center speaker. Music to left, center, right, and some reverb to the surrounds. Backgrounds to the l, r, ls, rs, and c. fx where you need them. (this is generally where the sub comes in). Unless you have a very good reason for it, I would keep the dialog out of the surrounds. It's distracting. Don't stress. If they chose you to mix their project, and you were honest with them about your level of experience and knowledge, then it's a learning experience for everyone. If they are expecting a professional mix, then they need to seek out a professional, and pay them. Read the sticky about room calibration.
Vidiau
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear interested

Im pretty professional for my age, worked on multiple shorts, indie games, BBC for a while, but yeah this is my first real 5.1.

I am aware 5.1 is made in post. What im asking is, I have no BGS for the LsRs everything has dialogue over it. how do i do this, do i create this or should this have been recorded separate?

I have:
Foley
sfx
and on set audio which includes the dialogue

Thanks for all the help so far guys, really appreciated.
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

You have to add them. Either by going out and recording your own, or by using library backgrounds.
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

You need to cut backgrounds for every scene. Use a little divergence to bleed them to the center, and either use an aux to route some to the rears, or cut separate bgs for the rears.
Vidiau
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear interested

Oh ok, brilliant thank you so much.

Also whilst we are here, Could someone help me out explaining LtRt ive seen it thrown about alot on here. cheers again.
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vidiau View Post
Im pretty professional for my age, worked on multiple shorts, indie games, BBC for a while, but yeah this is my first real 5.1.

I am aware 5.1 is made in post. What im asking is, I have no BGS for the LsRs everything has dialogue over it. how do i do this, do i create this or should this have been recorded separate?

I have:
Foley
sfx
and on set audio which includes the dialogue

Thanks for all the help so far guys, really appreciated.
Please explain in detail what you have received.
Is it something that has already been mixed. Or is it production dialog, with temp music.
Does the "Ls Rs" you keep talking about have music in it?
Is it an extensive mix of existing sfx and bg's, or is it simply 2 tracks of production dialog, that is most likely the boom and some other mic?
Vidiau
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Please explain in detail what you have received.
Is it something that has already been mixed. Or is it production dialog, with temp music.
Does the "Ls Rs" you keep talking about have music in it?
Is it an extensive mix of existing sfx and bg's, or is it simply 2 tracks of production dialog, that is most likely the boom and some other mic?
Its ok, My problem is solved. thanks.
Sound boy and jamie hit it right on the head.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search