Live Monitor AC3 stream?
Old 25th August 2013
Gear maniac

Live Monitor AC3 stream?

Hi all,

I have taken on a project making surround mixes for a specific consumer device. I have a suspicion that it's not setup (distribution of audio thru its various speakers) particularly well and I'd like to give some feedback to the manufacturer who I am in communication with - my mixes are a marketing product designed to make their hardware look and sound good.

Before I go down this road, I need to get out of making disc images of my mixes to be able to play them back on the consumer system. What I need to do is to be able to monitor and mix through the consumer system and switch back to my normal 5.1 setup.

This means being able to output an AC3 stream - preferably with a plugin in pro tools? or perhaps with an encoding box? dunno, looked into Neyrinck but they only do audio suite AC3 encoding, I figure with a sound card and the symphony card both being used by the aggregate I/O solves the problem of getting an AC3 signal to both systems (consumer system only has optical input). but I need some software or software/hardware solution to live stream AC3 - is this possible?

It would massively improve my workflow to be able to actually mix through the consumer system and really help me to do some proper tests on the consumer system and give these folks some feedback on what they need to change in the design.

Thoughts on a work-around?

Nick
Old 8th September 2013
Alf
Gear interested

If you can get a 75 Ohm output (on coax) from your AC3 encoder, get your hands on a Dolby Dp564.
Old 9th September 2013
Gear maniac

The only real way to do what you want to do would be to find an older Dolby AC-3 encode/decode setup - the 564/569. There are some other bits and pieces that are needed to make this all work from what I remember. 'In the Old Days' that is how we would encode/QC audio meant for DVD - in real time through these boxes. There is a bit of latency - but it should do what you want.

Randall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soniferous View Post
Hi all,

I have taken on a project making surround mixes for a specific consumer device. I have a suspicion that it's not setup (distribution of audio thru its various speakers) particularly well and I'd like to give some feedback to the manufacturer who I am in communication with - my mixes are a marketing product designed to make their hardware look and sound good.

Before I go down this road, I need to get out of making disc images of my mixes to be able to play them back on the consumer system. What I need to do is to be able to monitor and mix through the consumer system and switch back to my normal 5.1 setup.

This means being able to output an AC3 stream - preferably with a plugin in pro tools? or perhaps with an encoding box? dunno, looked into Neyrinck but they only do audio suite AC3 encoding, I figure with a sound card and the symphony card both being used by the aggregate I/O solves the problem of getting an AC3 signal to both systems (consumer system only has optical input). but I need some software or software/hardware solution to live stream AC3 - is this possible?

It would massively improve my workflow to be able to actually mix through the consumer system and really help me to do some proper tests on the consumer system and give these folks some feedback on what they need to change in the design.

Thoughts on a work-around?

Nick
Old 9th September 2013
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search