Transformers. Guns. Ricochets.
Old 24th August 2013
Gear interested

Transformers. Guns. Ricochets.

Hi guys,

I am currently doing a post production project, where I need to replace all sounds in a clip of 'Transformers' mainly using foley and sound design

Does anyone know of a good way to make 'gun ricochet' sounds?
IM STUCK.

- Laurens.
Old 25th August 2013
I'd start off with some free samples. You can then manipulate them and edit in or try and study what do they consist of and try to resynthesize them later - that depends on how much time and what tools do you possess

Anyway for any research you will need at least some examples to go from.
Old 28th August 2013
Gear interested

I did exactly the same thing not too long ago (boy did I underestimate the amount of work needed) For ricochet sounds I threw metal objects at different surfaces, containers and a fair bit of manipulation to make them sound more "over the top". I too at first was driven to recording all the audio myself as a challenge but in the end used a few sounds from freesound.org and various other places.
At the end of the day if it sounds right, it is right!

Also don't do what i do and over do the sfx, a lot of the time an audiences mind will fill in the blanks anyway so only a few ricochet sounds will be needed. The mix will need room to breathe. I didn't realise how much I had overdone it at first until I referred back to the original transformers clip and realised how minimal it actually was.

Edit: If you have Logic, space designer has some cool "warped" reverb effects which can give you that "peeeoooow" sound if that is what you are after.

Last edited by Alex Paul; 28th August 2013 at 10:04 AM.. Reason: after thought
Old 2nd September 2013
Lives for gear

Buy a wrist rocket, get the heavy duty replacement bands and start launching things with odd shapes.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search