Sound Soap is no more?
Old 20th August 2013
Gear interested

Sound Soap is no more?

hi,

I've used Sound Soap in the past and downloaded the trial for SS2 last year and it worked great and it was cheap... I never got around to buying it. But now I need it for a project and I can't find it anywhere! Come to find out they are no longer selling this product..

Does anyone know of a comparable product? I've used Waves noise reduction and I hated it. A crappy plugin with just a couple of dials..

Sound Soap had this cool feature where you could sample the unwanted noise if you had any recorded sections where the main speaker or performer was quiet.. Sample that unwanted noise, then deduct that from the track.. loved it..

anyone know of anything like that? and affordable?

Thanks!
Old 20th August 2013
Not sure which Waves NR you were using but x-noise uses a noiseprint style, I never really liked the Waves denoisers though. Maybe look into Izotope RX, works great and not much money for the basic version.

Sent from my SCH-I535
Old 21st August 2013
Gear maniac

Get Izotope RX2/3. The denoiser can be a little hard to use at times but its solid and the spectral repair is literally gods gift to dialogue editors.
Old 21st August 2013
Lives for gear

+1 on Izotope RX2 (3 should be out soon).

RX is way better than Sound Soap, which I used to use many years ago.
Used as a Audio suite or stand alone editor it is way more powerful & effective; denoise, declipper, decrackle & more then you have a Spectral repair that is extremely nice - once you get into it.
Old 21st August 2013
Gear maniac

Old 21st August 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Good View Post
Roxio still sells the Sound Soap plug-in with Toast 11
yeah I saw that.. wary of buying old unsupported software though..

I've looked into the Oxford DeNoiser and MR Noise but they don't seem as good as RX2...which is $299 at sweetwater... seems like the way to go.. probably a little more than I need, but I'm sure I'll use it in the future... thanks everyone..
Old 21st August 2013
Gear maniac

SoundSoap and RX2 are two different animals.

SS was a great product for quick touchups as a plug-in on a mixing channel. The fact that you could set each band's threshold and ratio easily, while auditioning, was very helpful.

But Bias-Inc is no more. (Anybody know the real story...?)

Izotope's stuff is a lot more comprehensive and powerful, and of course includes the wavelet editor as well as a multiband expander like SSoap. But it's also more expensive, harder to learn, and takes longer to apply.

Different tools for different applications.
Old 22nd August 2013
Gear interested

CEO of Bias Steve Berkley on why they closed shop:

"the conduct of certain employees resulted in disruptive interpersonal relationships which damaged morale and interfered with high functioning at a time when market pressures required that the company perform at an optimum level."

sounds like there was a major personality clash.. or someone totally lost it. still, with what they had you'd think it'd be worth something to sell their products to another company...
Old 22nd August 2013
RX2 (soon to be 3) is kind of the gold-standard for "reasonably priced" noise reduction nowadays.

I get good results with the Wave Arts MR Noise suite though too. As with many things, it completely depends on the material.

Of all the Waves products, W43 is the only one that gets used with regularity around here. It's absolutely excellent on the right stuff.
Old 28th August 2013
Gear interested

installed the demo version of RX2... it seemed okay at first.. not easy, I had to read up on it and took a few hours to figure out some things.. then I used the declicker and it seemed to work okay.. then all of a sudden it trashed my session...bah!! I use Digital Performer and the project would not reopen. So potentially losing hours of work I removed the plugins components from the Library>Audio and I was able to get back in. No thanks to RX2! I work in a very stable version of DP 7.22 and I'm not upgrading until I have to... not that I need to upgrade, but usually when there are crashes like this it means something is out of date (my experience anyhow).

oh well.. on to trying WaveArts demo...
Old 28th August 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by etherjab View Post
installed the demo version of RX2... it seemed okay at first.. not easy, I had to read up on it and took a few hours to figure out some things.. then I used the declicker and it seemed to work okay.. then all of a sudden it trashed my session...bah!! I use Digital Performer and the project would not reopen. So potentially losing hours of work I removed the plugins components from the Library>Audio and I was able to get back in. No thanks to RX2! I work in a very stable version of DP 7.22 and I'm not upgrading until I have to... not that I need to upgrade, but usually when there are crashes like this it means something is out of date (my experience anyhow).

Not sure what would've caused that, but I've found that rx2 as a standalone to be infinitely more powerful and flexible than using it as a plugin. Though it seems like it'd be slow to constantly export and re-import clips, once you get it down, I've found it to be a lot more efficient than using it as a plugin because you're able to much more accurately and comprehensively get done everything you need to at once then just be on your way. Basically what I'm getting at is don't give up on it, I can't imagine working without it.
Old 21st October 2013
Gear maniac

It looks like SoundSoap has been updated and rebranded by a new company: SoundSoap 3
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by etherjab View Post

I have been using and loving RX2 since it came out. I use it with WL6 and as a free standing program and have never had a problem with it. What kind of computer are you using it with?

The folks at Izotope are GREAT to work with and have created a lot of really useful software programs.

RX2 is almost becoming the defacto standard for Noise Reduction in Post and mastering.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Good View Post
It looks like SoundSoap has been updated and rebranded by a new company: SoundSoap 3
Actually, this new company is set up by the founder of Bias. I'm hoping he'll be resurrecting other products, like Peak Pro, as well.

I'm guessing that he needed to set up a new company for legal reasons after the folding of Bias (as opposed to just calling it Bias again).
Old 22nd October 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by nst7 View Post
Actually, this new company is set up by the founder of Bias.
Thanks! I was wondering if it was the founder since SoundSoap 2 users qualify for an update.
Old 22nd October 2013
Lives for gear

So this is a new version of the standard SoundSoap, not SoundSoapPro?

philp
Old 22nd October 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
So this is a new version of the standard SoundSoap, not SoundSoapPro?

philp
Yes.
Old 23rd October 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitecat View Post
Yes.
Bummer.
Old 23rd October 2013
Gear maniac

To the best of my knowledge, SSPro was always a specialty program for the few people like us who knew how to adjust the individual sliders. The new company can sell a lot more of the basic program, and it has been improved. I'll probably pop the $50 just to see how it works. Maybe it'll be a simpler replacement for RX3's realtime dialog denoiser...

I'm happy to stick with RX3 as my goto, but I still launch my old copy of SSPro when needed.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search