New Reply
Subscribe
j0000
15th August 2013
Old 15th August 2013
Gear interested

PT Dolby Digital AC3 Decoder - Plug-in

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone could advise of alternative (cheaper) Pro Tools plug-in for AC3 Dolby Digital Decoder than the Neyrinck Soundcode Dolby Digital Encoder to monitor DVDs?

I have downloaded the 14 day trial for the Neyrinck Soundcode. Using the DVD player on my mac and using the optical out I have had success in decoding the data stream into 5.1 within Pro Tools and it's sounding great.

I know the Soundcode is a great plug-in but I will only be using the decoder and cannot justify paying $995.00 to enable to me to play DVD's in 5.1 on my system. (Avid|HDX and OMNI HD).

If anyone could give advice on alternative plug-ins or even external hardware that would enable me to achieve this at a cheaper cost it would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks in advance
15th August 2013
Old 15th August 2013
Gear interested

For around half the price you can buy a surround processor. And not only do you get dolby decode, but you get DTS and the ability to calibrate levels going out to your speaker.

As long as you can wrap your head around the unbalanced RCA outputs that this thing unfortunately uses, (i still have yet to figure out how to get the buzzing to go away as faint as it is...) then you should be good!

I went through the same issue. I have a 5.1 setup running from my interface which can be used without pro tools, (it has analog inputs and I can patch them to the speakers) but was absolutely not about to drop 1k for something that most people spend no more than a couple hundred and don't think twice.

Outlaw AudioModel 975

Hope this helps!
16th August 2013
Old 16th August 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by j0000 View Post
... but I will only be using the decoder and cannot justify paying $995.00 to enable to me to play DVD's in 5.1 on my system. (Avid|HDX and OMNI HD).
Excuse me j0000, but I believe you can play a 5.1 audio program from a DVD with VLC, which is free.
You must to select the correct output format in Audio MIDI SetUp (found in Applications > Utilities).
And you are done.
16th August 2013
Old 16th August 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jose Luis Diaz View Post
Excuse me j0000, but I believe you can play a 5.1 audio program from a DVD with VLC, which is free.
You must to select the correct output format in Audio MIDI SetUp (found in Applications > Utilities).
And you are done.
Beware of possible strange DRC (night mode) issues with VLC, when listening straight to 5.1 via your interface... Sometimes one can't seem to turn DRC off with VLC. I recently went through those issues when checking a DVD image file before it went to pressing. With VLC it seemed to behave differently than when putting the ac3 stream through Neyrinck's DD decoder (which has all the options and gives you a lot of useful info about gain reduction in DRC).

Greetings,

Thierry
16th August 2013
Old 16th August 2013
Gear interested

Yes, Thierry. You are right.
I just wanted to point a simple and free way to listen a 5.1 sound format from a DVD.
But you are right.
j0000
20th August 2013
Old 20th August 2013
Gear interested

Hello,

Thank you all for your replies.

I'm running on a 10.8 Mountain Lion system, HDX & Omni and my speakers are the Genelec 7260 & 8240 which only accepts a digital signal.

Having looked into Sound processor I don't think this would be the best way forward for me as in addition to the sound processor I would need to purchase an A to D converter similar to the Genelec AD9200A and seems like this would although do the trick would work out about the same price (if not slightly more) as the Neyrinck Soundcode and would introduce more noise into the system.

I've been looking in to the Audio Midi Setup and VLC player option. However it is not currently working as when I go to the Audio Midi setup it shows that my HDX card has 0/0 outputs so is not allowing me to assign anything to it. How would the signal flow of this work with decoding and then playing the 5.1 discreet channels through the Omni?

Many thanks

Jay
21st August 2013
Old 21st August 2013
Gear interested

Hi jay,

I'm not an expert neither have your hardware configuration but I would like to ask if you have the latest drive for your Omni.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search