PT10 native not smooth at all
New Reply
Subscribe
FxEffekt
3rd July 2013
Old 3rd July 2013
Gear interested

PT10 native not smooth at all

Anyone else feeling Pro tools is crazy slow on responding when editing?
Before our big upgrade here we had PT7 on dual core G5 with 4GB ram, running flawless. Now we have PT 10 on dual 6 core xeon with 12GB ram and the automation volume editing drives me nuts. When i put out dots on the volume automation line i do it faster than PT responding. And i dont see what i do so the line flies up or down in a move.

I tried to record the screen on this but its hard to show, feels much more when u actually doing the action yourself but maybe you get a clue what i mean.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/...smooth%202.mov

I have tried everything i can think of to solve this, projects that are small with just one track, on different harddrives, other useraccounts, with or without video, different settings in the playback engine and also having a smaller screen with not so much resolution. Nothing helps.

Is it like this for everybody? Is PT10 so much heavier than before so it dont run as smooth as before even on the newers computers? Anything more i can try to fix this or do i just have to live with it?
3rd July 2013
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Smooth as butter on my similar spec machine to yours??

Sent from my GT-N7000
3rd July 2013
Old 3rd July 2013
Gear maniac

I use a native system about half the time and it responds just fine. If your working with picture, the video codec seems to have a lot to do with the response speed. I usually run it at higher buffer settings and just use low latency monitoring if I have to track.
3rd July 2013
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

Wow I'm not sure what the problem could be. That machine should run it very well. Is it by chance a Hackintosh?
3rd July 2013
Old 3rd July 2013
Matt R. Sherman

Are you using apple ProRes codec?

How are your audio / video drives organized?

4 GIGs is not much ram either way.
3rd July 2013
Old 3rd July 2013
Gear interested

Its happened to me on older versions too. To check if its the video doing it, take the video track offline and that should solve the problem.
If it does then a change of video codec is usually the answer.
3rd July 2013
Old 3rd July 2013
Lives for gear

h264 makes sessions crawl as it has to decompress each frame. You want big file sizes and no compression. prores/ avid codec and dv work well for this. Also super sessions depending on how busy they get will ak the system feel a bit sluggish. This is why 64bit will be nice as I suspect its a issue with memory usage.
FxEffekt
26th August 2013
Old 26th August 2013
Gear interested

Thanks for the response and sorry for my time away, long vacation from this and work As i said its not smooth even without the videotrack. We are using DVpal and i have compared with alot of other formats but dv is the best.

We have the video on separate fw drives but i have also tried it on the internal. The strange thing is that before we had much much slower computers but with pt7 and there i didnt have this problem. Its pure macintosh (not hackingtosh)
26th August 2013
Old 26th August 2013
Lives for gear

Hmmm strange. I'm on 10 on a Mac mini at home and it's seamless

dubbing mixer / sound designer and all things post sound related!
My IMDB
My Full Credits
My 2011 Showreel
26th August 2013
Old 26th August 2013
Gear addict

Do ALL of the system optimization things listed in "Help Us Help You" on the DUC.

Check to make sure your session isn't in the middle of an enormous overview calculation (option-quote).

Then, look at Activity Monitor, show all processes and also take a look at RAM. A RAM leak somewhere else could cause this problem.

Your system should be zippy.
26th August 2013
Old 26th August 2013
Gear nut

Disabling beam sync makes my Pro Tools run more smoothly.
27th August 2013
Old 27th August 2013
Gear nut

Also, make sure your plugins are up to date. I helped someone troubleshoot a laggy HD10 system yesterday and we uncovered that he had some out of date waves plugins. He updated his bundle and all was well afterwards.

-Justin
FxEffekt
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWalkerPostAudio View Post
Disabling beam sync makes my Pro Tools run more smoothly.
Thanks alot for this!
After a couple of days to figure out how to disable the beam sync i managed to do it and on the first run it seems like this was the problem, or a get around the problem. I will make more tests and tripple check this but it feels much much better. Atleast on one of our computers.

I did alot of searching and many people had an increase of smoothiness after disable the beamsync. The trouble for me was to really turn it off. I downloaded the program "secrets". And there i could turn it off, but after i need to restart and as soon as i close the system settings was never saved. I downloaded the xcode from appstore cos i read that the quartz debug should be a tool in there to turn it off, but apple changed this some time ago so u need to download the quartz debug tool separate, and for that, u need to register as a developer, so after i did that i succesfully downloaded it. Now the problem is still to be able to have the beam sync disable as default, or turn it off everytime i log in.
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Gear nut

Glad to help! I use QuartzSimple, though I believe there are better options that will disable beam sync on startup.

-Justin
FxEffekt
28th August 2013
Old 28th August 2013
Gear interested

Yeah i have tried to get quartzsimple but the only site i found where i can download the program was down :(. Are u able to send it to me? Send me a pm in that case and i give u my email.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search