How to make a realistic rocks falling sound.
Old 29th June 2013
Lives for gear

How to make a realistic rocks falling sound.

For an automated logo I need to have the sound of rocks falling. We did some experiments with pouring rocks out of a pail onto a padded surface and although the audio sounds passable when we do some eq and slowing down the audio I was wondering if someone else had some ideas??? Thanks in advance.
Old 29th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas W. Bethe View Post
For an automated logo I need to have the sound of rocks falling. We did some experiments with pouring rocks out of a pail onto a padded surface and although the audio sounds passable when we do some eq and slowing down the audio I was wondering if someone else had some ideas??? Thanks in advance.
The recordist has a rock library that might help:
The Recordist - Rocks & Dirt HD

I have dropped basketball sized rocks on other rocks or dirt and made them sound like boulders by pitching them down (use 96k recordings) and sweetening them with a sub harmonic synthesizer. Cracking them with a large sledgehammer worked as a sweetener. Softer rocks that split open upon impact sound more impressive than hard rocks like granite that only make a short transient impact. Big blocks of ice also work.
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks for the replies.

Have a GREAT week!
Old 2nd July 2013
Lives for gear

Also check out The Recordists' ice library. Ice impacts can be very useful in that they have a lot of mass, but tend not to be tonal in any way. Tonality in sound effects impacts can be useful, but also limiting.
Old 14th July 2013
Gear interested

Depending on how many rocks there are, I've used some recordings of a bunch of galloping horses (with a bit of eq, maybe some pitch manipulation) for sweetening events like this. It mostly works with a large event that has a lot happening, I used it for a large rock formation coming up out of the ground.
Old 14th July 2013
Lives for gear

Old 14th July 2013
Lives for gear

Get a few hundred go pro's and throw them off your nearest hill.

Sent from my GT-N7000
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search