New Reply
Subscribe
Clearheader
29th June 2013
Old 29th June 2013
Gear interested

Typical rates for post-mixdowns

Hi all,

Am wondering what people are roughly charging clients for an audio mixdown for short films, typically streaming only, averaging 2-3 minutes in length. Content usually a varying mix of interview dialogue, background music and small amounts of foley and sound design.

Appreciate this is a bit of "how long is a piece of string" question, but the reason I ask is I come from a background of producing unsigned bands and relatively new to the post-world. This is for a company based 30 miles north of London to put that into perspective too.

Any recommendations on good ways to build ratecards for such work would be amazing!

Thanks!
29th June 2013
Old 29th June 2013
Lives for gear

29th June 2013
Old 29th June 2013
Lives for gear

Do one with the client sitting next to you, so you know what their expectations are and how long it will take you to get there.
If there's a lot of them, give them a discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clearheader View Post
Hi all,

Am wondering what people are roughly charging clients for an audio mixdown for short films, typically streaming only, averaging 2-3 minutes in length. Content usually a varying mix of interview dialogue, background music and small amounts of foley and sound design.

Appreciate this is a bit of "how long is a piece of string" question, but the reason I ask is I come from a background of producing unsigned bands and relatively new to the post-world. This is for a company based 30 miles north of London to put that into perspective too.

Any recommendations on good ways to build ratecards for such work would be amazing!

Thanks!
29th June 2013
Old 29th June 2013
Lives for gear

Easy answer...What ever your clients are willing to pay you.

A lot depends on what part of the world you are in and how much competition you have for your services.

Call around and ask other studios near you for a quote on a "fictitious" job doing post. That will tell you what others are charging.

My accountant says...

Figure out how much it cost you to do what you do, how much you want to make per month, figure out the billable hours you can bill out per week and that is your hourly rate.

Things like electric, insurance, rent or mortgage payments need to be factored in to the how much does it cost me to run the business.

Best of luck!

Thomas W. Bethel
Managing Director
Acoustik Musik, Ltd.
Oberlin, OH 44074
www.acoustikmusik.com

Doing what you love is freedom.
Loving what you do is happiness.

Celebrating 20 years in the mastering business in 2014
Clearheader
30th June 2013
Old 30th June 2013
Gear interested

thanks for the advice gents, will take all into consideration!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search