"Studios Will Implode. VOD Is the Future"
SoundFootPrint
14th June 2013
Old 14th June 2013
Gear interested

"Studios Will Implode. VOD Is the Future"

This is not my words. George Lucas and Steven Spielberg said that this week speaking on a panel at the USC School of Cinematic Arts. This debate it's been on the street for a while, but it is the first time I see these words spoken from the top of the industry. It seems that the studios are starting to admit the real state of things.

Spielberg, Lucas: Internet TV is the future of entertainment | Variety

So, what about sound for film and TV? Are we going to edit and mix sound only for internet and mobile?

What do you think?
14th June 2013
Old 14th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundFootPrint View Post
This is not my words. George Lucas and Steven Spielberg said that this week speaking on a panel at the USC School of Cinematic Arts. This debate it's been on the street for a while, but it is the first time I see these words spoken from the top of the industry. It seems that the studios are starting to admit the real state of things.

Spielberg, Lucas: Internet TV is the future of entertainment | Variety

So, what about sound for film and TV? Are we going to edit and mix sound only for internet and mobile?

What do you think?
I already do work for YouTube only shorts. Our TV clients have slashed their budgets.
14th June 2013
Old 14th June 2013
Gear Head

Profits continue to roll in, and 2013 is on track to be a record breaking year at the box office. While I could see some genres that aren't enhanced by the theatrical environment moving to broadcast, sounds more like 2 old guys with sour grapes than a bankable prediction to me.
14th June 2013
Old 14th June 2013
Gear Guru

what this will ultimately force is budget cutting above the line.... when everyone figures that out there will be screaming in the streets....
14th June 2013
Old 14th June 2013
Lives for gear

Maybe, just maybe, movie stars aren't worth $20 million/movie anymore, that might be a good start...
14th June 2013
Old 14th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedantic Sound View Post
Maybe, just maybe, movie stars aren't worth $20 million/movie anymore, that might be a good start...
I agree, but the way you phrase it suggests that once upon a time they were worth that! ;-)
14th June 2013
Old 14th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_lowe View Post
I agree, but the way you phrase it suggests that once upon a time they were worth that! ;-)
Haha, very true.
14th June 2013
Old 14th June 2013
Gear maniac

Definitely a case of sour grapes.

“There’ll be big movies on a big screen, and it’ll cost them a lot of money. Everything else will be on a small screen. It’s almost that way now. ‘Lincoln’ and ‘Red Tails’ barely got into theaters. You’re talking about Steven Spielberg and George Lucas can’t get their movies into theaters.”
15th June 2013
Old 15th June 2013
Gear maniac

Because George Lucas is right... SO often.

Said no one in the last twenty years....
15th June 2013
Old 15th June 2013
Gear Guru

however Speilberg is often right- and as he said- Lincoln was almost an HBO production...

the stupidity of Hollywood is that the studios think they can make half a billion dollars on every film they make- its a stupid notion, especially when they are unwilling to put good scripts into production and simply rely on big stars to somehow carry the water.... As we saw this summer, that didnt work out too well for them.
15th June 2013
Old 15th June 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes View Post
however Speilberg is often right- and as he said- Lincoln was almost an HBO production...

the stupidity of Hollywood is that the studios think they can make half a billion dollars on every film they make- its a stupid notion, especially when they are unwilling to put good scripts into production and simply rely on big stars to somehow carry the water.... As we saw this summer, that didnt work out too well for them.
Yeah, but I bet if they try it again, things will be different this time.

15th June 2013
Old 15th June 2013
Lives for gear

More things are turning to the net. Music industry was first. Next is movies. Makes sense. However music can be heard relatively well in .wav & mp3 format. The social experience is what you do while listening to music. With movies, its both large screen visual and audio. So movies wont totally collapse but only the best will make it to theatre. Possibly like mix tapes or indie music. A album is recorded, then reaches critical acclaim. Then is signed reproduced and re-released on a major. Movies will likely move in that direction. Indie director gets enough buzz on a film then gets budget to re-do film for theatre
15th June 2013
Old 15th June 2013
Lives for gear

According to many TV Networks and stations as we know them maybe gone within 10 years. Cable TV is taking over in many markets. Why spend millions of dollars a year pumping out megawatts of energy in to the atmosphere when you can simply hook up the network to the cable head end? Take that one step farther and with more and more high speed networks going on line why not let the viewer pick and choose what they watch from their computers and project it onto their wall sized TV screens??? Much of the mastering I do now goes directly to the WWW and artist don't even think about making CDs anymore. I recently got a request to do online streaming for some company that does internet broadcasts of high school football and basketball games so that college recruiters can see the available talent in action.

I think the day of seeing movies in a theater is slowly dying and more and more people opt for watching DVDs and internet shows on their home TVs. It costs the average 4 person family about $50 to $70 dollars to go to the movies at night in a theater. For less than $25.00 they can buy a blue ray disk and some popcorn and enjoy the show at home. If they want to cheapen it even more they can rent something from the red box or from the local library. There is no driving, no parking costs, no fighting the crowds and if you want to stop the action to make some more popcorn or go to the bathroom you can. Yes you do not have 4K projection and a super large screen and good sound but even so you save a lot of money and get an "almost as good" experience.

There are a couple of movie theaters around here that have excellent sound and picture. There are also some theater complexes that have very small screens and very bad audio. One theater complex has two "theaters" that seat less than 100 people and have a screen that is slightly larger than most people's TVs at home and they charge the same for that theater as they do for the really big screens.

The last show I went to at a theater was laughable. The movie never started. The "projectionist" could not start the digital movie and for a time we had a "MS window" on the screen. Finally the movie started only to be stopped a few minutes later and the whole experience was repeated. They finally got the movie restarted after about 5 minutes of messing with the equipment only now we were only getting the audio and no picture. Again the process of getting things running and finally after about 8 minutes of sitting in a dark theater waiting for the movie to start it started and ran. How incompetent do you have to be to not start a digital movie???

And movie execs wonder why people don't want to go to the theater to see a movie...

FWIW
15th June 2013
Old 15th June 2013

My Recordings/Credits

Making movies started with a few innovators, caught on, and some how ended up in the hands of the elite. Whether 1930's dollars or 1990's dollars you needed a LOT of money to make a movie, and you needed more $$$ to get it into the theaters, not to mention connections. Today, thanks to rapid technology changes, ubiquitous low cost cameras, editing platform, and even special effects, anyone can make a movie, although talent still seems to be few and far between... But that's a different story.
With the new technology and the rapid increase is content hungry outlets... its a new ball game. Studio tent pole movies are the only thing left between making a "studio" picture and making an indie "picture", so why spend 50M or 100M, or more, and then another 70M on marketing and basically tossing it all on the RED on roulette... Why not spend $1M and earn $3M to $5M as a small local studio production or even $50K or $100K on a micro-budget indie flick and earn $250K or $500K by dumping the low cost projects into Digital, foreign, and cable and let consumers watch it for a few bucks.. instead of spending $20 for the ticket and another $10 for popcorn and soda.
So yeah, i think all the 'almost' huge studio projects are on the way out the door, but mega flicks? - as long as there is a market, product placement and money to be made, they'll stick around, but there is definitely a growing space for lower budget good films to be created locally and released to the ever hungry new media market.

cheers
geo
15th June 2013
Old 15th June 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes View Post

Well, I think a good example of that is how the foreign version of "girl with the dragon tattoo" was $13 million. And the American version $100 million. WTF ?
Also, how does the third "hangover" cost $103 million dollars vs $35 for the first.

How can a studio head even justify that kind of budget for a comedy?
15th June 2013
Old 15th June 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I dread the whole micro budget indie market.
They are mostly crap. Poorly shot. Using a horrible script, bad actors and shitty sound.
Half the time the lead is the director and writer.

And why would I pay a few bucks for a shit movie, when I can rent blockbuster movies for a couple of bucks as well?

So by George and Steve's reasoning, I guess fine dining restaurants will all go under as well.
I mean, who wants to spend $100 on dinner, when I can get a burger for a few bucks. Or have pizza delivered, and I don't even have to go out.

Just because THEY don't understand the social part of going to movies. Actually getting out of the house with friends and family.
Just because THEY have massive media rooms, that are basically theaters. And they are on the secret list of celebrities who get all the blockbusters delivered at home, before anybody else even sees them.

I don't think they really have a proper frame of reference.
I mean, how often does George ever even leave his compound?
15th June 2013
Old 15th June 2013
Gear maniac

I dunno. There's a lot of excuses that sort of place the blame on the public. While Hollywood churns out a product that's almost invariably mediocre to poor. Producers have too much creative control, and are too risk / innovation averse. They should stick to the numbers game and keep their heads out of the creative side, imo.
15th June 2013
Old 15th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
And why would I pay a few bucks for a shit movie, when I can rent blockbuster movies for a couple of bucks as well?

So by George and Steve's reasoning, I guess fine dining restaurants will all go under as well.
I mean, who wants to spend $100 on dinner, when I can get a burger for a few bucks. Or have pizza delivered, and I don't even have to go out.

Just because THEY don't understand the social part of going to movies. Actually getting out of the house with friends and family.
Just because THEY have massive media rooms, that are basically theaters. And they are on the secret list of celebrities who get all the blockbusters delivered at home, before anybody else even sees them.

I don't think they really have a proper frame of reference.
I mean, how often does George ever even leave his compound?
I think what you are missing is that while families may want to go to fine restaurants and high priced theaters, for many it just isn't a viable option to do so very often. When you look at the shrinking incomes of average families, there are a lot of basic choices that have to be made and entertainment budgets often get squeezed. Even for young singles there are issues, what with large student loans, measly paychecks or maybe even no paycheck at all. Also, the theater going experience can be very frustrating with chatting patrons, cell phones, etc. A good sized HDTV starts looking like a pretty decent alternative for a lot of people.
15th June 2013
Old 15th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well, I think a good example of that is how the foreign version of "girl with the dragon tattoo" was $13 million. And the American version $100 million. WTF ?
And The swedish one was better...
15th June 2013
Old 15th June 2013
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Perhaps Spielberg and Lucas should start making GOOD movies again if they want to get paid.

I don't hear James Cameron complaining.
16th June 2013
Old 16th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradox View Post
Perhaps Spielberg and Lucas should start making GOOD movies again if they want to get paid.

Word.

Hearing Lucas talking about not getting Red Tails into the theater...um, maybe because it sucked?
16th June 2013
Old 16th June 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoxyMusic View Post

Word.

Hearing Lucas talking about not getting Red Tails into the theater...um, maybe because it sucked?
Yep.
Try and find the original MOW.its so much better.
16th June 2013
Old 16th June 2013
Motown legend

My Studio

Everybody forgets that television was supposed to replace the movie, record and radio industries by the mid 1950s according to all of the industry "experts."

The answers are probably a return to full size theaters with lots better sound and photography. A multiplex of 20 home theaters with horrendous out of sync sound and an out of focus picture doesn't offer anything better than the living room.
16th June 2013
Old 16th June 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post

The answers are probably a return to full size theaters with lots better sound and photography.
We have those here.
It's called "The Arclight".
And it's a multiplex.
It's awesome. Locations with great parking. Assigned seating that can be ordered online a week in advance. So you can show up 5 mins before the movie starts, and walk right in.
16th June 2013
Old 16th June 2013
Lives for gear

We're in the digital age infancy here.

Just look at all the TVs you can buy now, where a decent chunk can access net content. Won't take long and there will be good interfaces to websites like Youtube, though I'll be damned if I know what the media landscape is going to be ten years from now.

For us I still think it's important to establish at the very least loudness standards like we have in broadcast. The rest will be sorted out by the market.

If I may direct your attention to a Youtube channel like VSauce ( youtube.com/vsauce ). Well recorded, mixed, photographed and written.

Channels with shows like this are becoming more numerous all the time, and I do see them investing in decent tech and talent as their audience and talent grows.

Even LetsPlay folks, online game commentators and fan videos are improving their quality as they go, and from this corner of the market grows a need for good sound, which is folks like us who are capable of fast turnarounds, in spec and at high quality.

So yeah, lots of things are being ADDED to the landscape, even as others evaporate. Hope I don't miss the boat. I've already been mixing some Youtube shows, targeting -18 LUFS, and so far, ZERO complaints about loudness. Perhaps it's only a matter of time until distribution platforms have loudness normalization before transcoding anyway.
16th June 2013
Old 16th June 2013
Lives for gear

I'd say that really big budget movies are going to get bigger, and stay in theatres because they make money there. They will tend to be action movies. Really small budget movies will get smaller and smaller (if that's possible), YouTube is that future (no budget, no income; personal artform). Whatever TV becomes (cable+VOD etc) will be the main part of the entertainment biz. Smaller channels will still exist for docs etc but will be much more competitive to get onto. Communities with a decent sized population of people interested in unusual movies will still have small exhibition venues, but they may be more general purpose than a "theatre" made for just showing movies. Lay off Spiel and George--they were great innovators in their day and changed the history of filmmaking. The torch was passed a long time ago, and there are really smart creative younger folks tearing it up with new ideas and great stories right now.

philp
16th June 2013
Old 16th June 2013
Motown legend

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by philper View Post
I'd say that really big budget movies are going to get bigger, and stay in theaters because they make money there. They will tend to be action movies. Really small budget movies will get smaller and smaller (if that's possible), YouTube is that future (no budget, no income; personal artform).
That polarization has pretty much been the story of the internet. People also forget that the only reason Spielberg and Lucas got their break was a glitch in the tax code where doctors and lawyers could take a tax credit against investments made in a movie or record album.
16th June 2013
Old 16th June 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
We have those here.
And it's a multiplex.
It's awesome. Locations with great parking. Assigned seating that can be ordered online a week in advance. So you can show up 5 mins before the movie starts, and walk right in.
Don't forget the Vista on Sunset in Los Feliz/Sliverlake a classic old theater that has been modernized with great seating and modern sound and great prices.
16th June 2013
Old 16th June 2013
Motown legend

My Studio

My guess is there may be a new generation of high-end theaters.
17th June 2013
Old 17th June 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
We have those here.
And it's a multiplex.
That's how it's been in Norway the last +10 years
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search