Specific processing of a section in film (mix stems)
Old 18th April 2013
Matt R. Sherman

Specific processing of a section in film (mix stems)

I may be stuck in a box, at the moment.

Mix scenario: to simulate an aged / VHS style recording for a section of film, kinda sci fo / lo fi moment consistent with the films theme etc. I've dialed in my effect / sound. It's the execution, I'm back and forth on.

I want to use a process of plugs, speakerphone, EQs, etc. to simulate this effect but I want to do it "globally" , I.e. same effect and I need to automate / change the settings as the picture demands.

Once again ill have to do the same stuff on each stem individually , I want them all processed the same way but must keep my stems separate as per normal mix and stem delivery.

This is an effect that will only happen for a scene.

Of course there are several ways to do this

Printing stems and making the effect afterwards as a "final pass" is of course an option but id like to try and go non-destructive , especially since it only last about 10 minutes. And I want to have this early in the mix for creative / collaboration reasoning.

I've thought about switching my mix template to use sends instead of track outputs for routing, this way I can just turn sends on / off to normal routing and then to effect auxes (duplicated from one pre automated aux, processing each food group)

I don't want to add plugins to my existing food group chains Nd have to bypass them since that will get messy quick.

Anyways I'm tired!

What would you do? (pt9)
Old 18th April 2013
Lives for gear

I would bounce each food group to mono or stereo and put those bounced clips into their respective predubs. Then do the futzes with Audiosuite processing while keeping a clean backup copy muted. Simple is good.
Old 18th April 2013
G - Ear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallbudgetguru View Post
I've thought about switching my mix template to use sends instead of track outputs for routing, this way I can just turn sends on / off to normal routing and then to effect auxes (duplicated from one pre automated aux, processing each food group)
I would do it this way. It won't tie you down to any destructive process, and leaves you open to automate/change the processing if need be. You can then have a clean chain and an effected chain for each stem. Also allows you to make minor adjustments to each stems processing individually...as sometime an effect might sound great on SFX, but muddy clarity on dialogue....you can adjust as need be on each send or on any of the plugins on each individual chain.

Another option if you wanted to stay using outputs to stems, is to create a whole set of new tracks with the plugins engaged, and move elements to those tracks as needed, but I think that with what you're describing, that the automated sends setup is much better.

Let us know what you end up doing.
Old 18th April 2013
Gear Head

I've never mixed anything but short films (been assistant in several mix sessions in a proper studio), so I may not be the most qualified person to answer, but I've got a suggestion:

Maybe you could send each of your stems via a mono/stereo buss into a mono/stereo aux track instead of sending them directly to outputs.
On these tracks, you could put all the lo-fi effects you want as inserts, and have a track dedicated to bypass automations for them.

So you'll have Tracks and FX -> stems -> 'Lo-fi aux' -> output

That's like one of your solutions except your signal still goes through this aux when the fx are bypassed - it's like a giant insert - and you don't have delay problems (I don't know for you but sometimes Delay Compensation tricks me)

That's my humble contribution to this thread, but you guys are more likely to find the best solution...
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search