PT10 Sample Rate Convert On Import
New Reply
Subscribe
FullFrequency
25th March 2013
Old 25th March 2013
Lives for gear

PT10 Sample Rate Convert On Import

So I'm having an issue with the sample rate convert on import function.

I'm mixing a bunch of trailers for TV that are cut at 23.98 and we're delivering 50i.

I'm setting up a 25 frame session and them importing using the sample rate convert function (NTSC to PAL - film style), so pitching up.
I'm also importing a non converted version and a guide WAV for reference.
My plan was to put a pitch correction on each stem, but using different algorithms to get the best out of the material.

The issue is that my converted OMF import is a complete mess. the frame boundaries seem to be in the correct place, however the audio within it, is completely skewed from what it should be, like the file starting early but within the correct boundaries, and the pitch has not been changed at all which is most confusing. As you can imagine the dialogue edits don't make any sense either.

For now I've been doing it a slightly longer way of working at 23.98 and then converting afterwards, which is fine, but I feel a bit less in control due to a conversion process after the mix has been signed off.

Any ideas of what the issue may be? I've had this issue on every single spot on PT10, but never had an issue on 7....

Thanks

Thanks

dubbing mixer / sound designer and all things post sound related!
My IMDB
My Full Credits
My 2011 Showreel
26th March 2013
Old 26th March 2013
Gear addict

Hi,
Is there a reason you need an actual mixing session as opposed to just the converted stems and printmasters?
Are you trying to mix at 50i and thus need to do the conversion prior to mixing, or can you mix at 23.98 and THEN convert?
I've never tried it, but I would imagine that trying to pitch/time convert a bunch of edited tracks rather than stems or printmasters would result in a big mess......looks like it has!

Best,

Joe

IMDB

Puget Sound on Facebook
28th March 2013
Old 28th March 2013
Gear addict

What's the source of the OMFs? If they're from FCP it'd be probably worth experimenting with Automatic Duck...
30th March 2013
Old 30th March 2013
Lives for gear

It's pretty much never worth the hassle doing it that way.
I strongly suggest working at original and edited film speed. Convert stems before exporting final master.
and a complete picture department with online, grading and more based on Mistika.
http://www.europasoundvision.se
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search