Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear

I hate hiss.
Old 9th March 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
I hate hiss.
How about in these recordings Mark? do think it is distracting?
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear

I dont care about hiss, unless it up to a level where it really gets in the way.
Old 9th March 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dualflip View Post
I dont care about hiss, unless it up to a level where it really gets in the way.
What about in the provided recordings?
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myke2242 View Post
How about in these recordings Mark? do think it is distracting?
I'll let you know in about an hour.
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by myke2242 View Post
What about in the provided recordings?
I think its probably Ok...
Old 9th March 2013
Gear addict

hiss bothers the hell out of me. it wasn't until i started producing that i found out many producers (especially ones who work mainly with software) love it because it makes the music sound more "organic" :D
Old 9th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godson View Post
hiss bothers the hell out of me. it wasn't until i started producing that i found out many producers (especially ones who work mainly with software) love it because it makes the music sound more "organic" :D
We are talking about post production here. And when layering backgrounds, the hiss will accumulate. And definitely is a problem. It will sound distracting and the opposite of organic.

The recordings do have some hiss in them, but I've heard worse. You should check the self noise levels of your mics and the preamps in your recorder. What gear was used?
Old 10th March 2013
Lives for gear

I didn't really hear what I consider hiss.
Just ambient noise.
Old 10th March 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Mac View Post
We are talking about post production here. And when layering backgrounds, the hiss will accumulate. And definitely is a problem. It will sound distracting and the opposite of organic.

The recordings do have some hiss in them, but I've heard worse. You should check the self noise levels of your mics and the preamps in your recorder. What gear was used?
i know what the self noise is for my mics. i was really interested in other peoples opinion on if it was distracting or not. i am using a SD 788t with the Neumann KM 100 series of mics in a DMS configuration.
Old 10th March 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
I didn't really hear what I consider hiss.
Just ambient noise.
I really think it is the self noise of the mics. if it was ambient noise it shouldnt be in every recording. its really apparent in quiet recordings and mostly masked in loud recordings. other mics seem to be cleaner.
Old 10th March 2013
Lives for gear

Try out some quieter mics, like a sennheiser mkh8040 or 8050.
Those are dead quiet.
Old 10th March 2013
Lives for gear

Hate cheaper lav wireless systems such as Sony Uwp, camera guys don't tune them.
Hiss city..

I usually use, w43, to reduce it.

Sent from my GT-N7000
Old 10th March 2013
Your recordings don't seem particularly hissy to me, if anything that last one needs a low-mid scoop, but if hiss is bothering you use a low pass filter, that'll fix it.
Old 10th March 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Fleischman View Post
Your recordings don't seem particularly hissy to me, if anything that last one needs a low-mid scoop, but if hiss is bothering you use a low pass filter, that'll fix it.
that is exactly what i did do. these samples are un-mastered. i am aiming to have cleaner raw recordings before the mastering process. i usually will us a little WNS and Ozone to shape things. maybe i am just a little bit too judgmental but low passing and WNS seem to take away from some of the high Fq detail.

Do you guys think they are good sounding recordings?

i really like the MKH 8000 series as they better self noise and sensitivity ratings the KM 100 series. so i am looking to build another DMS rig those.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search