Old 19th February 2013
Gear maniac

Be advised...

The editorial crew of "Swamp People" has walked off the job in protest of their employer's Unfair Labor Practice. The management of "Swamp People," a docu-reality series produced for History by Original Media operating under the name CCM Projects, unlawfully interfered with employees' rights under the National Labor Relations Act by interrogating employees about union organizing activity.
Until further notice, Guild members and potential members are instructed not to service the production.
In the event that you hear of any attempt by the production company, Original Media, to replace our colleagues on strike, contact OrganizingLA@editorsguild.com at once to alert Guild organizers.
Old 19th February 2013
Thanks for looking out, Tom. Just curious, what's to prevent them from finishing the production with non-union crews?
Old 20th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjguitar View Post
Thanks for looking out, Tom. Just curious, what's to prevent them from finishing the production with non-union crews?
The law?
It's prohibited, atleast in Europe...
Old 20th February 2013
Lives for gear

Yes. As far as I know, it's against the law to intimidate or question any employees about union organizing.
Old 20th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miguel Cordeiro View Post
The law?
It's prohibited, atleast in Europe...
Wait, you have laws in Portugal prohibiting non-union people to work? I don't really understand that.... So, you need to be licenced, like a medical doctor, to practice sound??
Old 20th February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjguitar View Post
Nothing, really, I don't think. They could hire scabs, but those people would have to cross the picket line, which action could negatively affect their future careers, and hiring scab labor could also lead to further union problems affecting the production, such as the Teamsters..
Old 20th February 2013
Thanks for the Heads up Tom. I saw something in one of the job posting I was poking around at from CCM. Nothing specific to this show though.

cheers
geo
Old 23rd February 2013
Just heard thru the Union that the SWAMP crew got a new contract and they are all back to work!

cheers
geo
Old 23rd February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by danijel View Post
Wait, you have laws in Portugal prohibiting non-union people to work? I don't really understand that.... So, you need to be licenced, like a medical doctor, to practice sound??
When a worker is on strike , his employer cannot replace him for someone else , it's a crime.
It would totally defeat the point of being on strike
Old 23rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
When a worker is on strike , his employer cannot replace him for someone else , it's a crime.
Cool, I totally didn't know that!
Old 23rd February 2013
Quote:
Not the case in the US unfortunately. Our government isn't very fond of unions.
Old 23rd February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedantic Sound View Post
And yet, this strike was successful. The editors on "Swamp People" are now working under a Local 700 contract.

Solidarity works. Up the union. Viva La Huelga.

And by the way, it's not the Government that is not fond of unions in the U.S., it's the greedy capitalists.
Old 23rd February 2013
Lives for gear

What contract were they working under before? Or were they a non-union crew considering organizing?
Old 23rd February 2013
Lives for gear

On a related note...Anyone in NYC know which Local Broadway audio engineers work under?
Old 23rd February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedantic Sound View Post
Considering how much certain unions contribute to political campaigns, I'd say the government is sometimes excessively fond of unions.
Old 24th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoxyMusic View Post
Considering how much certain unions contribute to political campaigns, I'd say the government is sometimes excessively fond of unions.
Well, one side is union friendly.
Thank god.
Old 27th February 2013
Lives for gear

Old 28th February 2013
Gear maniac

"On a related note...Anyone in NYC know which Local Broadway audio engineers work under?"

I'm pretty sure they're part of the stagehands IATSE local 1.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search