Any experience with CrashPlan Pro?
Max Holland
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear maniac

Any experience with CrashPlan Pro?

Looking into offsite backup to run in addition to our network backup solution at work.

2 Pro Tools HD rigs with multiple internal SATA drives
1 Business computer with account files etc.

Seems CrashPlan Pro is the best solution, we have a 100mb up/down fibre line at that this will run on separate from our regular internet service.

Any horror stories? Seems crashplan is the only service that keeps deleted files, so if we blow away some old sessions at work completely we can still recover. We wont be backing up any video media, just pro tools sessions and audio files.
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear maniac

We use CPP here at Defacto and currently have over 3TB backed up. (we also have a fast 150/50 internet connection) The initial backup took about 45 days. Beyond that, I don't even think about it. Everything gets done automatically.

Out of all the testing we've done, it seems to be operating smoothly. (pulled down test sessions, checked... all good)

Thankfully, I haven't had any catastrophic on-site data failures, so I can't speak to a full restore. We're quadruple redundant here on site and CPP is only our very last resort in case of fire, studio damage, etc... I'm too paranoid to use it as our only backup option.
Max Holland
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear maniac

We currently back up to a network share and have critical projects backed up to drives. but I want something offsite.

Do you have the file compression turned on? not sure if it would affect pro tools sessions.
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear maniac

I see. I think CPP would be great in that case.

I had to check my settings to see if I had the compression on and I apparently I do. We've downloaded and checked quite a few large sessions and they've been fine.

Considering CPP is so cheap, it's definitely worth a shot.
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Taylor View Post
I see. I think CPP would be great in that case.

I had to check my settings to see if I had the compression on and I apparently I do. We've downloaded and checked quite a few large sessions and they've been fine.

Considering CPP is so cheap, it's definitely worth a shot.
+1, I have CPP and everything just works. I try and keep a local backup of things as well, but knowing that everything is available offsite makes me feel a lot better about my data.
Max Holland
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear maniac

with CPP it seems if I delete an old session, as long as it was backed up once I can recover it because it keeps deleted files. is this right?
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear
Argh, not available in Europe or the Middle East. Gobbler seems to have a cap too, any alternatives to CPP available for us in foreign lands?
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Holland View Post
with CPP it seems if I delete an old session, as long as it was backed up once I can recover it because it keeps deleted files. is this right?
In theory, yes, but I haven't done a full test of this. I would call up CPP and ask them. I've called them before, and they were excellent.
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear addict

I used to use Backblaze, but didn't like the connected drive limitation.

I'm using Crashplan on (4) Macs now. If you set "remove deleted files" to never, it will keep everything.

So far, Crashplan has performed well on individual computers with one internal drive. My Mac Pro with (8) external drives is not completing its backups to Crashplan. I'm not sure why yet, but will contact support.

In the meantime, I'm taking Arq connected to Amazon Glacier for a test spin. So far it's promising. I'll post again when I know more.
4 Days Ago
Old 4 Days Ago
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomaniac View Post
+1, I have CPP and everything just works. I try and keep a local backup of things as well, but knowing that everything is available offsite makes me feel a lot better about my data.
I'm looking into CrashPlan Individual ($60/month option).

I see people using so many external drives, which mainly just stresses me out. I like simple minimal workflows, and not wasting time.

I think working locally on my MacBook Pro and then backing up everything to the CrashPlan Cloud is enough for me. The only problem I would have is if my laptop crashes or is stolen while CrashPlan simultaneously goes under. Seems unlikely. Plus, I do all my own music - I have no clients.

Curious, do you back up your entire computer (all files, apps, photos, everything) to the CrashPlan Cloud or do you just use it for your music sessions and audio files?

Thanks.
4 Days Ago
Old 4 Days Ago
Gear addict

Flash forward to more than a year later:

Crashplan simply couldn't complete a backup of all my online drives in the studio, so I gave up on it long ago and switched to Arq/Amazon Glacier which does regularly complete backups and has significantly less CPU usage than Crashplan. For the single boot drive backup of a laptop, Crashplan is great, but not so sure about its usefulness for studios.

A lot of time has elapsed. Perhaps they improved their software...
4 Days Ago
Old 4 Days Ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NReichman View Post
Flash forward to more than a year later:

Crashplan simply couldn't complete a backup of all my online drives in the studio, so I gave up on it long ago and switched to Arq/Amazon Glacier which does regularly complete backups and has significantly less CPU usage than Crashplan. For the single boot drive backup of a laptop, Crashplan is great, but not so sure about its usefulness for studios.

A lot of time has elapsed. Perhaps they improved their software...
It takes a long time. you also need to do some scripting in your system to allocate more ram to the program. I have 8gigs assigned and it may not be enough. It doesnt use all that it just needs to be able to access it.
4 Days Ago
Old 4 Days Ago
Gear Guru

I use Crashplan and for my drives, I definitely had to tweak the Crashplan app to get it happy, but I am carrying over 5 tb of stuff on it- it took over a year to get into the cloud, but I have had no problems in getting stuff back down if I needed it- its pretty inexpensive for he scale of storage it offers.
3 Days Ago
Old 3 Days Ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesmonk View Post
I'm looking into CrashPlan Individual ($60/month option).

I see people using so many external drives, which mainly just stresses me out. I like simple minimal workflows, and not wasting time.

I think working locally on my MacBook Pro and then backing up everything to the CrashPlan Cloud is enough for me. The only problem I would have is if my laptop crashes or is stolen while CrashPlan simultaneously goes under. Seems unlikely. Plus, I do all my own music - I have no clients.

Curious, do you back up your entire computer (all files, apps, photos, everything) to the CrashPlan Cloud or do you just use it for your music sessions and audio files?

Thanks.
I back up all of my documents, including my iTunes library, photos, etc. as well as my project files and media. I pretty much back up everything to CrashPlan except my OS system files, which do get backed up locally so I can quickly restore in case of drive failure.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search