VCA masters and Solo behavior
cananball
18th February 2013
Old 18th February 2013
Lives for gear

VCA masters and Solo behavior

I'm setting up a new template. Have set up VCA masters for Dx, Fx Food groups, Mx, and VO.

Each stem is fed to an Aux. If I want to be able to solo a VCA group, the Aux must be linked to the group. Now if I ride the VCA fader on that group, both the source track fader AND the aux fader moves. Any cut/boost will be doubled right? If the Aux isn't linked it mutes when the group is solo'd giving no output, but fader riding is normal.

Am I right? If so how can this be avoided? In that case I might as well ride the Auxes instead of the VCA's right?
18th February 2013
Old 18th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cananball View Post
I'm setting up a new template. Have set up VCA masters for Dx, Fx Food groups, Mx, and VO.

Each stem is fed to an Aux. If I want to be able to solo a VCA group, the Aux must be linked to the group. Now if I ride the VCA fader on that group, both the source track fader AND the aux fader moves. Any cut/boost will be doubled right? If the Aux isn't linked it mutes when the group is solo'd giving no output, but fader riding is normal.

Am I right? If so how can this be avoided? In that case I might as well ride the Auxes instead of the VCA's right?
Solo safety the Auxes by Control/clicking their solo buttons in the mix or edit window. They will become grayed out indicating that they are isolated from solo controlled muting. Alternatively, if you are using an ICON console, hold down Control and press the solo button on the console (don't know if that works with other Avid consoles). Do the same thing with reverb returns.
18th February 2013
Old 18th February 2013
Gear addict

And then remove the Aux Master from the VCA group
cananball
18th February 2013
Old 18th February 2013
Lives for gear

Brilliant, thanks guys!

Sent from my SCH-I535
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear

you don't need the groups to be active for VCa's to work. Still auto mate solo, mute etc

This is precisely my setup.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search