Login / Register

Why does EQ3 beat everything else in this respect?
New Reply
Subscribe
emilano
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Gear interested

Why does EQ3 beat everything else in this respect?

I've demo'ed equality, oxford, some waves EQs and a couple others, but no other EQ can pull out as open a sound from the 2-8k range of dialog like EQ3. There's something about it. From a pillowy sounding lav or off mic or whatever... Somehow EQ3 pulls out an... openness... a clarity. for lack of another word. Its not always pretty sounding, like if the mic itself isnt pretty sounding, its not going to make it pretty, just harsh. Its easy to go for too much of it. But its unique.

I really wanted to put money down. But doing the side by side tests made me realize that I already had an amazing tool. I was shocked. But no other EQ comes close. I think what came the closest was waves Ren EQ. Ugh.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Does anyone know an EQ that also does this well?
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Gear nut

Haha, I never thought the eqIII was horrible, I still use it on tracks that I don't want to dedicate too much focus or CPU to... But since I've never seen someone wax on about it like this... It feels like a troll.
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Gear addict

Always like EQ3. People diss it as it is a free PT plug but I guess they are not using their ears....
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by emilano View Post
I've demo'ed equality, oxford, some waves EQs and a couple others, but no other EQ can pull out as open a sound from the 2-8k range of dialog like EQ3. There's something about it. From a pillowy sounding lav or off mic or whatever... Somehow EQ3 pulls out an... openness... a clarity. for lack of another word. Its not always pretty sounding, like if the mic itself isnt pretty sounding, its not going to make it pretty, just harsh. Its easy to go for too much of it. But its unique.

I really wanted to put money down. But doing the side by side tests made me realize that I already had an amazing tool. I was shocked. But no other EQ comes close. I think what came the closest was waves Ren EQ. Ugh.

Am I the only one who feels this way? Does anyone know an EQ that also does this well?
Well, if you think RenEQ came close, then there's not much to discuss.

Both can't come close to Equality.
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

I'm very partial to the Euphonics EQ.
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

Though a good one, I prefer the Channel strip and oxford over the EQIII, also for clearing up dialogue.
did you try all the EQ types on the oxford?
People tend to forget (and therefor dismiss the Oxford) that there are different modes that all behave differently, and there is also the GML option, which is fantastic for opening up a muffled sounding dialogue!
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

I second the Channel Strip for clearing up dialogue.
I just wish the GUI was better, and there were more slope options for the filters.
EQ3's got everything right but it can sound a bit digital.

Automatic volume riding for Pro Tools®
Wave Rider RTAS and AAX for Win and Mac.
64 & 32 bits

Our Facebook Page
http://www.automaticmixing.com

Catchin' SYNC app now @ up to 120fps recording!!
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

I like EQ3 and I use it a lot as my go-to eq. I've been using Oxford for years and switched back to Digi as soon as eq3 was out. That being said, it cannot be used for any serious notching. Oxford is ok, but takes time to dial in (changing eq types, Q being mapped counterclockwise on Icon), and there's no big difference in the final result.
One final note: those familiar with old Westrex passive 3-band eq will certainly like Massey's VT-3. It's mid control is simply awesome if you want to bring the dialog to the front.
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Gear Head

I'm PT Hd Native user and i think that eq3 is highly underrated. I've got several eq plugs at my disposal and i find eq3 (or eq7) the best tool for shaping drums and bass. Very good for cutting. Eq dispay is nice too - you see what you are doing. Sometimes something more coloured (psp, focusrite) is what song needs but overall it's just a precise, fine sounding plugin.
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko View Post
One final note: those familiar with old Westrex passive 3-band eq will certainly like Massey's VT-3. It's mid control is simply awesome if you want to bring the dialog to the front.
Seconded!
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

I will add that the UAD pultecpro pro with a 2k cut and a 10k boost is instant magic on dialog.
Equick is used for notching. Equality for shaping.
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
I will add that the UAD pultecpro pro with a 2k cut and a 10k boost is instant magic on dialog.
Equick is used for notching. Equality for shaping.
Mark, how you became such an UADist?
I never felt that I would advertise that much any of my purchased software.
Is the UAD really that good? Or...
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgoorevich View Post
Mark, how you became such an UADist?
I never felt that I would advertise that much any of my purchased software.
Is the UAD really that good? Or...
I was using UAD's back when I did music. I had 4 cards in a small magma chassis, that ran on my laptop.
They had a great trade-in program last summer that I took advantage of, and got a Quad sattelite.
Their plug-ins a great.
I personally find that the quality of my dialog has improved since dumping all of the waves stuff.
I'm about to buy their new LA2A collection, to replace the 1176 plug-in I am using. To make things just a bit smoother.

The cut in 2k on the pultecpro really gets rid of that annoying frequency range that I really hate.
emilano
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Well, if you think RenEQ came close, then there's not much to discuss.

Both can't come close to Equality.

Haha, well touché my friend. Ren EQ also failed to me. But its the one that I remember that had a hint of that "openness" (I actually did the test a couple of months ago). Remember, i am only talking about this one area and for this one task, not the rest of the eq. Specifically for bringing out openness and clarity in tracks that don't have enough of it. Which is often what i'm up against when i'm mixing reality style shows or documentaries. And overall, EQ3 can add digital harshness to dialog which is why i'm looking for another tool...

i'll have to try the VT-3 for this Branko, thanks for the tip!
17th February 2013
Old 17th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Branko View Post
Thanks for the tip, I've never used the VT-3. Will try it out.
17th February 2013
Old 17th February 2013
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to marty lester
i was an Oxford EQ user for as long as the plug-in existed i think. i've tried EQ3 and it's unremarkable to me.

i jumped to Equality when that came out and loved it.

recently i demoed Fabfilter Pro-Q EQ and it's now my favorite
for dialog. it just sounds great as soon as you "create" a knob
and start moving it. i like it's default bandwidth and it's
easy to fine-tune.

fwiw,
marty.
17th February 2013
Old 17th February 2013
Gear Guru

a cool as so many of the third party EQ's are, the AVID Channelstrip is pretty servicable in most situations, and is available on any system the session might be opened on.

if thats a concern, well.... thats a concern.

I am a HUGE DMG fan as well.... and Equality rocks my world almost everyday.

“Judging others makes us blind, whereas love is illuminating. By judging others we blind ourselves to our own evil and to the grace which others are just as entitled to as we are.”
? Dietrich Bonhoeffer, The Cost of Discipleship
17th February 2013
Old 17th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes View Post
a cool as so many of the third party EQ's are, the AVID Channelstrip is pretty servicable in most situations, and is available on any system the session might be opened on.
I've used the channel strip as my 'go-to' plugin since PT10 and most of the time it's perfectly fine. I'll always use it first before using another eq or compressor. Helps keep everything consistent.

Nothing wrong with the EQ3 either. Whatever works, works!
17th February 2013
Old 17th February 2013
Gear addict

Whatever works, for sure. I use EQuality for everything though. Incredible. Everything I do on-air for the millions goes through EQuality. Best EQ ever, IMO. The GUI is perfect for me.
17th February 2013
Old 17th February 2013
Gear interested

I haven't tried Equality yet but EQ3 is very quick and great user interface. If I need a quick notch or general shape, its just there, no mincing about when there's a room full of clients staring at the back of my head. Works well on poorly recorded material too, not all EQs can save something from bad recordings in the way that EQ3 can, it's also pretty efficient on dsp.
18th February 2013
Old 18th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles maynes View Post

if thats a concern, well.... thats a concern.

I am a HUGE DMG fan as well.... and Equality rocks my world almost everyday.
I've been using Channel Strip lately and what I would say is that it could be great but is a bit buggy right now. If you make the high and low bands shelves, CPU usage goes up significantly. If you also try to turn off the expander, CPU usage soars. No 6dB/8va filter and the filter slope doesn't map to the ICON D-Command. Other than that it's fine
18th February 2013
Old 18th February 2013
Lives for gear

EQ3 works for me.

1. Sounds OK.

2. On every PT DAW.

3. Low CPU consumption.

4. GUI is just fine.

After using/demo'n Focusrite, Massenberg, McDSP, Waves ...
18th February 2013
Old 18th February 2013
Gear addict

I guess I just like EQ3 for its simplicity. Yes, I'll concede that some plugs might sound better- at least subjectively. But there you have to say something for ease of use. Especially when the chips are down.

Also- being able to solo a band with a simple control+shift is huge for me.
18th February 2013
Old 18th February 2013
Lives for gear

18th February 2013
Old 18th February 2013
Lives for gear

What I learned long ago back in the analog days is that almost any EQ sounds good as long as you can achieve the shape of the EQ curve you want by cutting rather than boosting. If you do need to boost, a more modest boost with a wider Q used in conjunction with cuts is generally pretty transparent. Extreme boosts and narrow Qs tend to bring out the weaknesses in an equalizer.
18th February 2013
Old 18th February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by eoats View Post
EQ3 works for me.

1. Sounds OK.

2. On every PT DAW.

3. Low CPU consumption.

4. GUI is just fine.

After using/demo'n Focusrite, Massenberg, McDSP, Waves ...
+1

Especially number 3.
18th February 2013
Old 18th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggegan View Post
If you do need to boost, a more modest boost with a wider Q used in conjunction with cuts is generally pretty transparent. Extreme boosts and narrow Qs tend to bring out the weaknesses in an equalizer.
Yes, this is why I enjoy using channel strip. You can get a natural sounding dialog pretty quickly with broad strokes.

If I have to do surgery, I go with NF575. Any general filtering on an AUX, I go with EQ3 TDM.
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to cjguitar Send a message via Skype™ to cjguitar
I used EQ3 for a while, it worked OK, but found it generally harsh when trying to brighten things up. In general, you have to use a lot more cut/boost to hear anything with EQ3 and I don't like the digital harshness it imparts on the overall sound. I've been using DMG Equality for the last couple years and though it's not perfect, it'b by far the best available right now because of these features:
1. 9 bands, flexible options for each.
2. Maps almost perfectly to the D-Control center section.
3. Frequency Analyzer is amazing to see what you're hearing and find the problem areas to notch/shape quicker.
4. Intuitive UI.
5. Quickly solo bands.
6. Sounds really good.

Only ones that come close right now are FabFilter Pro-Q, which may be even more flexible and sounds better, but comes at a cost of higher CPU usage, and DMG Equick, which has been buggy in the past but it appears that all bugs have been fixed and it now maps to the console as well. I'll probably switch over to Equick going forward on my next projects.
IMDB
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear

I use the Waves Q10 for notching and cutting, and the channel strip for boosting and shaping. I like equality, but it doesn't notch as deeply or as narrowly as the Q10.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0206743/
19th February 2013
Old 19th February 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by soundboy View Post
I use the Waves Q10 for notching and cutting, and the channel strip for boosting and shaping. I like equality, but it doesn't notch as deeply or as narrowly as the Q10.
I find that Equick is a much better sounding notch filter than Q10.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search