Login / Register

Bacon for everything? Your favourite sound!
New Reply
Subscribe
Willeyh
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Gear maniac

Bacon for everything? Your favourite sound!

The quirky mind of a sound designer!

So while working on a soccer commercial shot in 1000fps I had a sequence where a soccer boot "left" the ground. Originally I had some layered dirt for grit but no initial attack. Suddenly I remembered a sound I have of bacon in a frying pan! Time stretched, pitched and EQed, sent to a Mid freq long verb along with a slap back-ish delay, and voilá! The sound of a Soccer Boot/Shoe in slow motion leaving the ground!

Turns out, bacon works with everything!

The #1 sound I always come back to and find so many possible uses for is... drumroll..... Champagne Cork Pop.

What´s yours? Have any similar stories of unusual sounds?

- W

(sorry if there is already a post for this, but I couldnt find any).
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

Mine is a quick turn and stop from a Hockey player (minus the face plant in to the plexi), no stick, just ice. I've used at different speeds, forwards, backwards, with and without other FX... it's just handy for those "I need something here for impact" moments. A close #2 would have to be thunder.

Certified Fairlight phanatiks
Bill Trousdale, CAS - Proprietor
www.AudioVisionPS.com
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

Top of mind, I've got 3.

1. A single footstep on twigs and dry leaves. Sort of a "smoonch!"

2. A classroom full of kids jumping up from their desks all at once. Lots of feet shuffling and desks scooting (but no voices). Great when you need commotion.

3. A well-known belch nicked from a stem of a well-known animated series. Slowed down and/or backwards, a terrific alternative or additive to your usual pig/lion monster stuff.

"Sometimes I only add some delay on some portion of the snare on only one of the sides." S. Vibe 2014
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Gear addict

Send a message via Skype™ to insomaniac
I've gotten a lot of use from two hilariously specific sounds from Hollywood Edge's PE library:

1. "Mexican Megaphone" (which seems to have been retitled "Loudspeaker Truck In And By With Mexican Man's Voice On Megaphone, Echoing Off Buildings") awesome for TV background noise

2. "Car Hits and Drags a Hot Dog Stand, Long Extended Dragging" one of the best car impact sweeteners, a friend of mine cut in into the new Fast and Furious trailer

samejnes.com | IMDb | Analog Jitter
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Gear addict

You can do anything for any client and make them love it with the windmill whoosh on disc 6040 of Sound Ideas' General series. It must be 20 years old.

MECH Windmill 6040_99
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

I recorded myself chopping wood in the backyard. One of the chopped pieces flew out and hit the tin woodshed with a loud bang.
Whenever I need a impact sweetener I either use the chop or the shed depending on the material. It even works as a whoosh when reversed.

Automatic volume riding for Pro Tools®
Wave Rider

Catchin' SYNC app up to 120fps recording!!
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomaniac View Post
1. "Mexican Megaphone" (which seems to have been retitled "Loudspeaker Truck In And By With Mexican Man's Voice On Megaphone, Echoing Off Buildings") awesome for TV background noise

2. "Car Hits and Drags a Hot Dog Stand, Long Extended Dragging" one of the best car impact sweeteners, a friend of mine cut in into the new Fast and Furious trailer
funny, i've had those in my library as long as they've been around and I've never even heard them before (just never come up on searches). the Mexican megaphone one is funny.

I have a recording of my nephew's soccer team playing outside that I use whenever i need distant kids playing - its killer and it's not that gawdawful kids laughing from sound ideas.
Willeyh
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by insomaniac View Post
I've gotten a lot of use from two hilariously specific sounds from Hollywood Edge's PE library:

I just can't stop laughing. Don't have the Hollywod Edge library but I would so like to hear that Mexican Megaphone!
14th February 2013
Old 14th February 2013
Lives for gear

I just found what my new one is going to be:

6014 3-1 CROWD, INDOOR SMALL CROWD: WHISPERING, AMBIENCE

Throughout the entire thing, the girl in the left channel is talking about shaving different body parts, including *down there*.

-Dan.
14th February 2013
Old 14th February 2013
Gear interested

Kickdrums. I love them.

Whenever a sound effect needs some transient punch in the low end, but applying a simple EQ would introduce too much mud, I mix in a kickdrum.
As I am using basically the same three or four samples for this, this is most likely my most used single sample (set).

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvatar View Post

Throughout the entire thing, the girl in the left channel is talking about shaving different body parts, including *down there*.

-Dan.
lol

Cheers

Felix
14th February 2013
Old 14th February 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentbob View Post
Kickdrums. I love them.
Absolutely. And orchestra-type bass drums, too.
14th February 2013
Old 14th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

-Dan.
That reminds me of the time - years ago - that I was gathering FX for another Audio Bible production. I needed the sound of "Animals - into the Ark". I found an excellent recording of "Horses - being led into show ring". It was multiple hooves, no tell-tale horse noises, and some various voices. HOWEVER, upon closer listening, you can distinctly hear two men in a heated exchange complete with expletives. I decided it was best to skip this track for inclusion in an Audio Bible....
14th February 2013
Old 14th February 2013
Lives for gear

My Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill@AudioVision View Post
That reminds me of the time - years ago - that I was gathering FX for another Audio Bible production....
I was working on a similar thing. Different faith.

This client was very discerning, i.e. "That sounds like a bucket going down a well, not up."

So when the script called for a very specific kind of cow, I panicked for a second and then held up the big ol' Sound Ideas book with its back to the client, and said, "hmmm... Guernsey... Holstein... Jersey... here we are. Sacred!"
14th February 2013
Old 14th February 2013
Lives for gear

haha sacred cow just slayed me ...

i was supposed to be mixing a show from a video truck once and had to bail for another job - that then went away, but i showed up on the gig to say hello to some friends cause it was very close to me. my cameraman buddy still thought i was mixing in the truck. so during the show he yells my name into one of the audience reaction mics next to him ... well, i happen to be standing on the side of the truck talking to someone and i hear my name really loud bellowing out of the Test monitor on the I/O of the truck. then i hear the director say "who the hell is (insert my name here)" ... i shrugged my shoulders and said "i don't know" ...

what would have been a good sound FX would have been to Record the Producer at the other end of the live feed as his jaw drops from hearing this Name on his live broadcast feed ... haha
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
OMG, you're right!
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear addict

Timpani's and me punching various sofas and pillows - when you fall in kids tv its never hard, doesn't hurt and its always a bit musical!
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search