WLM / EBU R128 specs question
New Reply
Subscribe
velocityraptor
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Gear interested

WLM / EBU R128 specs question

Can somebody please explain in layman's terms a few things about the EBU R-128 standard and its relation to the Waves Loudness Meter.

Specifically I'm mixing an amateur short film that will mostly be shown online, so I'm aiming for just a touch louder than a DVD mix which I understand to require -23LUFS.

Using the WLM my mix is currently sitting at -19LUFS (Long Term) with a -1.5dbTP. However the Range is 26LU. Can somebody with a bit more experience tell me if this range is a bit too high for the online world? Is some compression in order?

Also, when I read about +/- 1LU in the EBU R-128 specs (-23LUFS +/-1LU), what specifically in WLM would that refer to?

Edit: I should also probably mention I'm using my university computers for WLM and I'm pretty new at this...
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Gear maniac

Last time I checked there was no standard for internet broadcast.
I generally mix to -3dBFS with a -12dB threshold for web stuff and check that on Macbook speakers set around 40-50%.

But if you are mixing to the standard your long term should be -23LUFS with a -1dBTP.
Haven´t mixed to that spec myself so I´m not sure how it translates to web.
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

For Youtube, R128 translates fine.
Of course I do not know for sure if Youtube compression changes levels and/or dynamics, I do not think so.

but for the internet, louder is still better (for most customers)
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

Hi,
For online, there is no standard regarding integrated Loudness. Your -19 LUFS and TP are just fine. Personally would push it a little bit more, like -16 LUFS. What sounds strange though is your Range (LRA) of 26 LU. That is waaay too much dynamics for online content. You should aim around 12-15 dB. Yes, compression should fix it, although it seems strange to me how you achieved 26 dB in the first place...
+/- 1LU refers to the tolerance admitted for the integrated loudness. But it really depends on the broadcaster if he admits it or not. It's not relevant in your case.
velocityraptor
16th February 2013
Old 16th February 2013
Gear interested

Thanks for the help guys. I think I ended up with 26db range because its a horror short and there are long patches of near-silence with just low ambient noise to monitor. I think if I was to measure everything but the ambience it would be a much tighter range. But I'll have to compress it nonethless.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search