ISDN Install in Santa Monica
New Reply
Subscribe
Bill@AudioVision
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

ISDN Install in Santa Monica

I have a client that needs to install ISDN to an address (residential) in Santa Monica, but he has heard the AT&T will not provide service due to zoning. Has anyone ever heard of this? Is this another trick by AT&T to rid the world of ISDN? We've talked about Source Connect, but he would much prefer ISDN because of the many connections to Latin America he does.

Certified Fairlight phanatiks
Bill Trousdale, CAS - Proprietor
www.AudioVisionPS.com
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

We use Verizon.
Bill@AudioVision
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

Verizon said 'no' very quickly because they are only fiber (no copper) from the servicing CO. Is Verizon handling most areas of Santa Monica?
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
x86 Moderator

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to George Necola
I don't want to play the smart ass here but there are fibre to ISDN media converters. we used them twice so far.

works.

Gesendet von meinem GT-I9300 mit Tapatalk
---------------------------------------------
www.georgenecola.com produce & mix itm/gear & fun

blog.georgenecola.com reviews & gear
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

Worst case scenario, he could use a source-connect to ISDN bridge service.
(does that exist?)

Automatic volume riding for Pro Tools®
Wave Rider

Catchin' SYNC app up to 120fps recording!!
Bill@AudioVision
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Lives for gear

We discussed a bridge service, but it seemed a real bother. He is basically planning on a 'Radio Station' with live feeds and remote interviews. ISDN seemed to be most universal connection.
So, George, (not being a smart ass) are these fibre to ISDN converters something the Telcos use? Something in your area, but not in the US?
12th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Gear maniac

Could he or the telco rep have misinterpreted the word "zoning"? You have to be within a minimum wire distance of the central office for ISDN to work, so locations do have to be qualified.

Remember, they're trying to jam a lot of data across a copper pair that might be a hundred years old, and full of crosstalk and stray reactive factors... something that's just barely usable for a voice connection with 3k bandwidth and 40 dB dynamic range. So the distance limit is legit.
Bill@AudioVision
12th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Lives for gear

I'm going to dig into this further with a phone call to a AT&T tech installer that handles ISDN for much of Orange County.
I do know that "last mile" distances figures into the equation, but I'm trying to find out if new installs are just being refused, or only 'business zoned' installs are being allowed. I can see how the Telco can push a residential area to fiber, (they did for me) but I've got to hope that a business it not going to be very cooperative - especially when it comes to ISDN.
Sooo.... what are the options? Only Source Connect? And what about bridges? Is that the only option to tie into ISDN?
Thanks for all your input.
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Gear maniac

Maybe you already have but I would try giving EdNet a call and seeing if they have any ideas. If he was willing to pay the extra to become an affiliate they will handle all the headache stuff with the installation, if not I think you can become an associate and but I'm not sure if tech support is included. Anyways they have always been really helpful when I have called with issues.
Bill@AudioVision
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Lives for gear

I thought about EdNet, but I'm exploring some specific contacts I now have from Verizon. I think with tons of persistence and patience, I can get this happening.
13th February 2013
Old 13th February 2013
Gear maniac

I think the issue that you run into with the telecom companies now is that they do so few of the installations that they have almost nobody that knows anything about the technology. With AT&T at least they have something like a special installs division with more experienced technicians.
14th February 2013
Old 14th February 2013
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to voiceaddict
Bill (and everyone else), residential ISDN can be a bear, here's how you make it easier (in the US)...

When you contact the telecom, ask for the rep's email address and email the following information (below) while they're on the line. Most will understand this information much better than you asking them about ISDN and should be able to expedite your order(s) immediately. Every telecom still supports ISDN. They have to. They don't want to sell it to you, but 'ol Uncle Sam needs his Patriot Act supported. Two more things, you may want to open a new call for each ISDN codec and I slap the ticket/order number on each codec and plan for someone's lost day on the install.

I grabbed this info from some person's website years ago and I sincerely apologize for failing to note whom that person is/was to properly credit them for HOURS and HOURS of time saved. Enjoy:

1. If telco has implemented NIUF ISDN Ordering Codes (IOCs), request an ISDN BRI interface configured to: Bellcore Capability Package "M" - Alternate Voice/Circuit Switched Data on both B channels, no additional features. Package "S" - same as above plus caller ID - is also recommended.

2. If telephone co. is unable to understand the above request then ask that the following parameters are met:

National ISDN-1 switch type
2B1Q Line Code
D channel Signalling only
B1 alt. circuit switched data/circuit switched voice
B2 alt. circuit switched data/circuit switched voice
Dataline class: point to multi-point or point to point
TEI set to dynamic, one TEI per Dn
Terminal Type set to Type A
Display set to Y
EKTS set to NO
No Supplimental voice services
Call appearance preference set to Idle

It is also important that when your telephone company supports the following features, they are turned OFF at the telephone exchange:

Packet Mode Data
Multiline Hunt Groups
Multiple Call Appearances
Shared Directory Numbers
Accept Special Type Number
Intercom Groups
Network Resource Selector (Modem Pools)
Message Waiting
Hunting
InterLata Competition
14th February 2013
Old 14th February 2013
Lives for gear

Kevin, your info is from DigiFon.com. Besides tech info, it's a great place to list/find ISDN studios in the US and abroad.
14th February 2013
Old 14th February 2013
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to voiceaddict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill@AudioVision View Post
Kevin, your info is from DigiFon.com. Besides tech info, it's a great place to list/find ISDN studios in the US and abroad.
Thank you! I couldn't remember to save my life! Looks like he's updated the info: DIGIFON ISDN Audio: How to Get ISDN service

When I ordered my last two lines from Verizon, they were through the internet on Verizon's business web-chat and those lines were active within in three weeks.

Thanks again, Bill!
15th February 2013
Old 15th February 2013
Gear nut

I just used SourceConnect -> bridge -> ISDN twice this week and it was terrible both times. Several drops, long delay, and the audio quality was not as good as all ISDN. Bridges in general are a pain.

As for residential ISDN, all the VO talent using ISDN I work with are residential. That's kind of the point.

EDNet is very helpful, they help deal with AT&T and help fix things when there is a problem. They actually answer the phone and will walk you through workarounds, etc.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search