Nighttime Ambiences?
Old 8th February 2013
Gear maniac

Nighttime Ambiences?

Hey everyone, I'm trying to collect some more ambiences at add to my arsenal, and was wondering if anyone knows of collections of night, evening, and desolate/sparse USA ambiences.

Hoping to avoid over-the-top crickets, birds, etc. Perhaps autumn/winter type ambiences would be better.

Thanks!
Old 8th February 2013
Gear interested

I find that I end up using a good bit of wind during night time amb and then pepper in the wildlife I want.

I use a bit of the different wind packs that are available at The Recordist . The tonstrum mountain air is also a nice library.

I am a fan of the independent libraries that have been coming out to supplement the material I have. They are pretty specific and niche and fairly priced.

Designing sound list of Independent SFX Libraries is a pretty compilation.
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesockshort View Post
I find that I end up using a good bit of wind during night time amb and then pepper in the wildlife I want.

I use a bit of the different wind packs that are available at The Recordist . The tonstrum mountain air is also a nice library.

I am a fan of the independent libraries that have been coming out to supplement the material I have. They are pretty specific and niche and fairly priced.

Designing sound list of Independent SFX Libraries is a pretty compilation.
Don't forget about the independent library thread here at Gearslutz. Very good stuff.
Old 16th February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeman View Post
Hey everyone, I'm trying to collect some more ambiences at add to my arsenal, and was wondering if anyone knows of collections of night, evening, and desolate/sparse USA ambiences.

Hoping to avoid over-the-top crickets, birds, etc. Perhaps autumn/winter type ambiences would be better.

Thanks!
i hear ya. i tend to use a clean day, winter and desert tones and pepper in whatever i need to fill things out. I would recommend recording some of your own as well.
Old 16th February 2013
Lives for gear

Old 17th February 2013
Lives for gear

I wish I could remember which noted sound designer said "great ambiences are constructed, not recorded."

As onesockshort and myke2242 mentioned, they use a base and build from there.

I've recorded several versions of "Empty Street," "Suburbs At Night," "Country Field" and similar things to be a base canvas for other sounds. Mostly recorded in late fall through early spring, when animals and insects are mostly inactive, between 2am and 5am, before anyone is really awake.
Topic:
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search