Flight movie dialogue weak noise
Seabornstudio
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Gear Head

Flight movie dialogue weak noise

Hi guys, any body watch flight film?
I just rent the itunes version and there a lot of noise variation (hi freq noise)
Church scene was disturbing to me...
Any body notice that?

This is'nt the first time i notice that kind of noise, maybe these noise are ignored in the stage mixing and there no trouble in theatre but in a near field environment, there is certainly something to do!

Am i crazy? Anybody ear this?
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabornstudio View Post
Hi guys, any body watch flight film?
I just rent the itunes version and there a lot of noise variation (hi freq noise)
Church scene was disturbing to me...
Any body notice that?

This is'nt the first time i notice that kind of noise, maybe these noise are ignored in the stage mixing and there no trouble in theatre but in a near field environment, there is certainly something to do!

Am i crazy? Anybody ear this?
I heard it as well.
I find that type of thing very annoying as well.
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Gear interested

Oh sweet so I'm not the only one, I just watched it yesterday and was wondering what that was. I suspected it was the theater's playback system cause I wasn't in the best cinema.
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

No seen it, unless it was intentional it is most prob hmi ballast or lamp noise that hasn't been caught at the mix due to
a) x curve filter or sadly
b) loss of top end hearing for the mixer.
Sin City was mad as well, terrible lamp noise every where

Once out of the X curve theatre back onto dvd or tv the top end filter is gone and all those nasties turn up. Lesson 1 of dialogue mixing is correct use of high and low pass filters.
Seen them go as low as 9k on big stages in London
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzl62 View Post
No seen it, unless it was intentional it is most prob hmi ballast or lamp noise that hasn't been caught at the mix due to
a) x curve filter or sadly
b) loss of top end hearing for the mixer.
Sin City was mad as well, terrible lamp noise every where

Once out of the X curve theatre back onto dvd or tv the top end filter is gone and all those nasties turn up. Lesson 1 of dialogue mixing is correct use of high and low pass filters.
Yeah seen them as low as 7.5 - 8 at somewhere big too. Surely guys aren't relying on x-curve to filter the tops though??
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzl62 View Post
Lesson 1 of dialogue mixing is correct use of high and low pass filters.
Is that on the dialogue tracks or in general?
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Gear nut

A high pass at 100 and low pass at 8k is a great way to trick people into thinking you are a good dialog mixer. I think it's better to man up and notch or shelf stuff than severely limit the frequency range of dialog. Roll offs are fast but there is good stuff below 120hz and above 8khz on most dialog tracks... Lots of nasties too but that's what mixing is for. Unless you want your dialog to sound like it's from an 80's action movie.

I would love to see a study done on re-recording mixers' hearing... In about ten years I will likely join the "pillow ear" club. Hearing loss is a scary thought, but when you use your ears every day on a calibrated stage it's only a matter of time.
7th February 2013
Old 7th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_T View Post
A high pass at 100 and low pass at 8k is a great way to trick people into thinking you are a good dialog mixer. I think it's better to man up and notch or shelf stuff than severely limit the frequency range of dialog. Roll offs are fast but there is good stuff below 120hz and above 8khz on most dialog tracks... Lots of nasties too but that's what mixing is for. Unless you want your dialog to sound like it's from an 80's action movie.

I would love to see a study done on re-recording mixers' hearing... In about ten years I will likely join the "pillow ear" club. Hearing loss is a scary thought, but when you use your ears every day on a calibrated stage it's only a matter of time.
Absolutely agree with you on this.
More examples of lazy mixers.
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

A little OT:

A couple months ago I was removing a 18.5kHz lamp whine from production sound. Not bad I thought, as I am 39 and almost 20 years behind the board.

best,
Kuba
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Master of Sound

For those of us using a VST capable editor:

MAutoDynamicEq

Incredibly helpful at catching those nasty lamp / motor noises.
Of course you can use RX for that as well.

Ollie
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

Why use RX when a simple notch filter will do the job?
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
Why use RX when a simple notch filter will do the job?
Although this would be a destructive edit and disruptive, RX has a nice EQ if you are using the stand alone app.
8th February 2013
Old 8th February 2013
Lives for gear

But equick will be faster, and do the job non destructively.
9th February 2013
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henchman View Post
But equick will be faster, and do the job non destructively.
I'm notching really fast with RX Spectral Reapir now that it can capture very long chunks of audio. It used to have the 10 second limit, but now it's probably a minute or so (don't know, I still didn't bump into it). Select all the notches visually (holding shift) and hit Repair, it never fails, you almost don't even have to listen to the results.

Otherwise, I don't see EQuick has a spectrogram overlay, so I guess you have to search for whines by ear, no?
9th February 2013
Old 9th February 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by danijel View Post
I'm notching really fast with RX Spectral Reapir now that it can capture very long chunks of audio. It used to have the 10 second limit, but now it's probably a minute or so (don't know, I still didn't bump into it). Select all the notches visually (holding shift) and hit Repair, it never fails, you almost don't even have to listen to the results.

Otherwise, I don't see EQuick has a spectrogram overlay, so I guess you have to search for whines by ear, no?
Equick has an analyzer overlay.
11th February 2013
Old 11th February 2013
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by danijel View Post

There is never a end to RX!
12th February 2013
Old 12th February 2013
Gear Guru

regarding the notion of dialog mixers doing more or less eq (etc) on set-

ultimately, the rushes are going to the picture editor, and if the track sounds like (bad word here) they will not get hired by that director again- Its sad to say, but picture editors dont want to have to work with tracks to make them loud- hence, the takes are sometime a bit overcrushed, and over filtered- judgments that are being mad on headphones, in mostly imperfect conditions....
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search